Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why must they ask?

Why must they ask?

I've purchased many items of ladies' apparel. I've always been treated in a professional manner by SA's. The first pair of pumps I purchased, the young lady was very helpful at explaining the nuances of walking in heels. Again, very professional. However, other shoppers are usually a pain in the backside. Often, when trying on an item, someone will ask one or two questions, then drop the bomb. "Are you gay?" I answer truthfully that I'm transgender. "Oh, then you ARE gay!?"
    No, I'm not. I have a couple acquaintances that are. I don't have a problem with gays. I attend Pride activities. I support the entire LGBT community. But, just because I purchase a feminine article, I'm immediately percieved as gay. I very well may be overreacting to this, but there is a difference. I well know some members here are gay, and I gladly support them. Maybe the next time, I should just go totally DQ on them and say something shocking... Well, some statements come to mind, but I'll forgo their usage. Use you imagination.
    What, if any, is your experience with this.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I have been a crossdresser for over 60 years, and in that time have only been asked if I was "gay" a very few times. And of course it was always by a female shopper!! My usual response has always been, no I am not Gay, I just like to wear feminine clothes! That almost always makes them shut up!!

Like Leah I have friends that are gay, and I also have friends that are lesbians!! We are all people, and thank God we are not all the same!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

It's just how idiotically ill-educated and narrow many people are.
    When someone says such a thing, don't reply. Fix your eyes on the top right corner of their hair line, and stare fixated at it as if there resides the most fascinating, repulsive sight you've ever seen. Don't say a word. Stare for several seconds. Then frown, curl your nose up and move away from them like they smell like the devil's own fart.
    Then run, before the tranny gets a kicking ;-)

or
    'Are you gay?'
    'No, but my boyfriend is'.

Bigot, 'er?!?!'
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 08-29-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: merged please use the edit button

I was buying a bra one time. Vasserette, padded. Big Lots. The customer behind me said, "I hope that is not for you!"
    "Yes, its for me. I am a crossdresser."
    "So, do you sing and do drag shows and entertainment?"
    sigh.
    "No; I don't sing. I just wear dresses around the house."

The public is uninformed about crossdressers. They think we are female impersonators or drag queens. And this is partly our own fault. We are so secretive. Its the internalized shame thing, I think. My wife hate my cding. That doesn't help.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    A GG asked me the same thing at our TG support group's information booth at a Gay Pride event. I guess she didn't understand the difference between a crossdresser and a drag queen. It's ok ... I forgive everyone who thinks that. It gave me a wonderful opportunity to share with her the nuances of the "TG spectrum".
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    There must be a different class of folks in the thrift stores I visit regularly! The SAs there NEVER ask questions about the always fem items I buy. And, altho I've had frequent conversations with other customers while searching the racks, (always women in the sections I shop in), conversations r generally about sale days, who has the best specials and items, and only occasionally about a particular piece.

The most derogatory things I've heard were when standing in the check out line. "Those shoes match your eyes." "You'll look cute in that outfit." I say, "Thank u. Do u really think so?" End of conversations! I shop in drab!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Today I want shopping en drab, but I had just painted my toenails, so I wore flip flops. I was standing disinterestedly in line at Burlington Coat Factory, waiting to pay for my boots and thinking about baseball. Suddenly, I realized that the two women in line in front of me were alternating looking at my feet, then at my face, and yammering away in Spanish. I am not multilingual, but contextual clues made it plain that their observations were not favorable. While I would have been curious to hear exactly what they were saying, it was probably just as well for my continued feeling of peace that I could not understand. I'd be willing to bet it was something other than "He is so masculine and probably straight!" "Yes, but that polish clearly does not complement his eyes!"
    "She ain't waiting 'til she gets older, her feet are makin' tracks in the winter snow.
    She got a rainbow that touches her shoulder, she be headed where the thunder rolls."

-Van Halen, "Secrets"

Silver Member
    I've had some comments over the years. Never been asked if I was gay, but I'm sure many assumed I was. I wasn't sure I wasn't until I dated a guy. But in the 50s and 60s it was expected you were. I never had interest in guys, but was very confused. I soon figured out that girls were my thing, their clothes and them.

I don't worry about it. If someone asks I tell them what I want to. I have had a couple women make comments. One woman told me that the pink panties weren't my color. Another asked me if I wore bras everyday. I responded yes without thinking. She got red in the face, but said she was cool with it.

I think most mainstram people, women or men, equate crossdressing with the gay lifestyle because they're uninformed, biased, or just plain stupid. I buy a good portion of my attire from sellers on craigslist, and have been asked by a few if I'm gay. I tell them no, I just enjoy wearing women's clothes. It usually satisfies thier curiosity, and it really doesn't bother me being asked.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Morley View Post
    A GG asked me the same thing at our TG support group's information booth at a Gay Pride event. I guess she didn't understand the difference between a crossdresser and a drag queen. It's ok ... I forgive everyone who thinks that. It gave me a wonderful opportunity to share with her the nuances of the "TG spectrum".
    So, you lead in with "didn't understand the difference between a crossdresser and a drag queen"....then you leave it hanging......without the punch line?

Surprisingly, I've never had anyone ask me if I'm gay but I have had people in passing cars yell "fag" at me, sort of the same thing but more rude and intimidating.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I don't think it's a matter of stupidity as much as being uniformed. The gay community has done a great job of raising awareness of the plight of gay people ever since Ellen's first show got cancelled. So people tend to group anything they don't understand into something familiar. Let's face it, it takes a bit of explaining to tell people who and what we are and what we're not. And when confronted by someone in a store, there is hardly time for that. Maybe someday, one of us will have enough of a public profile to inform the world about what we do and what the differences are between us, and gays and TG and DQ and etc. But for that to happen, the public would have to first give a......
    I just couldn't wear my big girl panties today.

I used to think that CDers were gay too, before I ever met anyone in this community.

How would I have known otherwise, when the only time I saw men dressed like women were DQs at Pride parades? Then I met my friend's husband who CDs, and obviously he wasn't gay since they had been married for 20 years, had 2 kids, and they were devoted to each other.

Still, when my SO first told me via email about the CDing, I misunderstood and I though he had told me that he was seeking my friendship and support and not a romantic relationship. I misread his words because in the back of my mind I still thought that the majority of CDers were gay. Needless to say, we straightened it out, and now I know better.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by KaliBrooke View Post
    Today I want shopping en drab, but I had just painted my toenails, so I wore flip flops. I was standing disinterestedly in line at Burlington Coat Factory, waiting to pay for my boots and thinking about baseball. Suddenly, I realized that the two women in line in front of me were alternating looking at my feet, then at my face, and yammering away in Spanish. I am not multilingual, but contextual clues made it plain that their observations were not favorable. While I would have been curious to hear exactly what they were saying, it was probably just as well for my continued feeling of peace that I could not understand. I'd be willing to bet it was something other than "He is so masculine and probably straight!" "Yes, but that polish clearly does not complement his eyes!"
    The same thing happens when someone is all tatted-out or there is anything that is different that doesn't fit the herd mentality. I have heard the comments about people with tatts quite often. The folks that have the tatts know that the comments happen, but they don't care. The best thing to do i just ignore it and don't let it get to you
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferR771 View Post
    I was buying a bra one time. Vasserette, padded. Big Lots. The customer behind me said, "I hope that is not for you!"
    "Yes, its for me. I am a crossdresser."
    sigh.
    "No; I don't sing. I just wear dresses around the house."

The public is uninformed about crossdressers. They think we are female impersonators or drag queens. And this is partly our own fault. We are so secretive. Its the internalized shame thing, I think. My wife hate my cding. That doesn't help.
    I don't understand why a customer would have the gall to ask those types of questions when it is NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS!!
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.

Why do they believe that they have the right to ask? Also, the CD OP trying on the pumps could have responded as follows: "Is a woman gay when she wears men's shoes, boxer shorts, neckties, pants or other male items? "Is a man gay when he wears earrings?" "Is a woman gay if she get tattoos".

Maybe then folks will see the absurdity of this narrow-minded thinking.

I have not been asked yet but I don't think it would bother me if it was said in a civil way. I think it would be a great opertunity to educate people and I believ we should take every opertunity to do so.

I was asked that question once....
    My response was "I'm not even happy right now!".

End of conversation...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Ironically I know a lot of gay guys and they never wear women's clothing! They don't want to be or even look like women!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I used to think that CDers were gay too, before I ever met anyone in this community.

How would I have known otherwise, when the only time I saw men dressed like women were DQs at Pride parades? Then I met my friend's husband who CDs, and obviously he wasn't gay since they had been married for 20 years, had 2 kids, and they were devoted to each other.

Still, when my SO first told me via email about the CDing, I misunderstood and I though he had told me that he was seeking my friendship and support and not a romantic relationship. I misread his words because in the back of my mind I still thought that the majority of CDers were gay. Needless to say, we straightened it out, and now I know better.

Good point here Reine! It IS a case of being uninformed, which makes most people react or say the things that they do about crossdressers. In this reply you are sharing how you became more familiar with the subject, and now you are one of the most level headed ,helpful, understanding , and supportive GG's on this forum. Thanks for joining!

Aspiring Member
    "Not yet, but I am not opposed to it!" has been my reply when the few times I have been asked. On occasion, I have returned the question to them and inquired about their sexual preference. It is none of their business!

Chelsea Von Chastity gender_blender's Avatar
    I'm not gay, but my gf is.

Banned Read only
    I don't think I've ever asked anyone if they are straight, just because they're wearing clothing traditionally for their gender.

Silver Member
    Well the reason for this misunderstanding should not be to tough to ID. Jerry Springer, Maury, Phil (no longer a Dr.)... are good places to start. But simply by the virtue of GLB and T as our associated group you can't really brame people for making a connection. I would hope everyone here agrees that Gender Identity and Gender Expression are unrelated to sexual preference yet as a group we are included in with those variations. Not a big jump for the uninformed to think they are all together therefore they must be nearly the same.
    The best thing is to use the opportunities each of us get to correct this misunderstanding in a respectful clear way. Personally for me I think the mixed gender community get little benefit from this association but I understand why they are grouped together. The benefit is a greater number for both causes but the drawback is the line get really blurry to mainstream.

Next time they ask ,,, Just say YEA something like that ,, Next question ,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,