Thread: A little advice please

A little advice please

Hi there I'm new to the forum and this is my first thread. I am 31 and have been dressing with the help of my wife for 6 years. Today I have an appointment to see a docotor about possibly starting HRT. I need to pass as a man at least for the next 2 years for work reasons so I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Also I am a powerlifter non-competing but its something I enjoy a great deal would this counteract the effects of HRT?

I'm a bit confused, Rachel.
    Are you MtF or FtM?
    You say, 'I need to pass as a man', yet the rest of your post suggests MtF.

Platinum Member
    I don't have any idea of power lifting might counter the effects of HRT, but I suspect that HRT may impact on your strength. Other than the enjoyment of lifting, it seems like a hobby that would run contrary to any effort to present as female...so you may have to ask yourself at some point - which is more important to you.

Sorry I wasn't clear I am an MTF

Lifting has helped me get clean I'm a recovering addict and I have found that my lifting has been a great help, so I would like to continue.
    Last edited by Sandra; 08-29-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts, please use edit function, multi posting is not allowed

Rachel looks like you need to read up. http://transhealth.vch.ca/resources/...rmones-MTF.pdf

As Kim mentioned HRT will eventually affect your strength and muscle mass.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    Rachel Rage, the major question that arises is, why do you want to take HRT? Do you want to become a woman, or stay a man for your wife? As Kim said, the HRT would probably affect your strength for power lifting. But it would also affect other things in your daily life!

I congratulate you for overcoming the addiction you had, but you might want to think twice about taking the HRT! What does your wife think about it?
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

My advice goes along the same lines as sissystephanie above.Unless you plan to go 24/7 full time CD or if you feel you are TS and want to transition, why start HRT. Not only your muscle mass will change, but you most likely will not be able to perform sexually for your wife. This I hope has been discussed with your wife and that she is aware and behind you 100% If on the other hand, you don't want to transition and go full time, you are making a grave mistake in my opinion. Realize too, this could end your marriage if your wife ever has a change of heart. It's a huge desision that comes with many consequences that I hope you think through completely.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    All good advice you need to think of your wife in a situation like this.Talk with here and discuss everything.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    All good advice you need to think of your wife in a situation like this.Talk with here and discuss everything.
    Yes, and check with your Doctor. HRT might have side effects that will hurt you.
    Rader

Silver Member
    Your doctor would be your best advisor. Make sure you ask him/her all your questions. Consider making an appoiintment with a therapist, too. Continued good luck. Seems you are doing OK. Congratulations.

go for what you want good to see your wife supports you as well as for passing as a man for the next two years and weight lifting keep doing it hrt may not help to develop more muscle mass but you still have tone. as far as hrt it works slowly not over night lifting may slow this down too so in time you might see a change but not a lot hope all the best for you and your wife and have fun
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

It was my wifes idea for me to finally contact a doctor and look into HRT. Because of what I do for a living I do intend to continue living as a man for the next 2 years at which time I intend to return to school. My wife has told me she will support me in any decision I make. She is coming to understand how much this means to me. The main reason I am considering taking the HRT now is so that I can feel a bit better and hopefully have at least some subtle changes in my appearance.

Thanks for the link. I am aware that HRT will effect my strength and mass. I am in fact on a strict diet right now to help me lose the extra mass I have purposely gained. My concern was in regards to the extra testosterone produced through lifting and how it would react with HRT.

Rachel... slow down... deep breaths.. post an introduction in the Intros section saying who you are and why you are here... it just might help your (and our) thought processes.. We are all here wanting to help...
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Rage View Post
    Thanks for the link. I am aware that HRT will effect my strength and mass. I am in fact on a strict diet right now to help me lose the extra mass I have purposely gained. My concern was in regards to the extra testosterone produced through lifting and how it would react with HRT.
    HRT usually has a T-blocker in the regimen. Best asked of your endo.

Transitioning from a male to a female is the biggest decision you will ever make in your life. You need to do a lot more research than just asking questions on a web forum.

Your doctor, the one who prescribes the hormones for you is the best person to ask about any physical changes and risks. A web search will provide a lot of information, some correct and some not correct.

Also, be absolutely sure your wife is permanently on board on this. She may be uncomfortable being married to a female at some point.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Deciding in HRT is a serious decision.
    I have a few friends that claim to be of girl mindset all their lives, and while on or after the HRT, they feel so at peace with themselves. The results are astonishing......makes me jealous.

Me, I like both sides of the fence of the gender spectrum, and it's a question I shall wrestle with for a long time. I like both male and female side of me.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 08-29-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I have been on HRT for 20 months. If I were to cut my hair and take out my earrings, I wouldn't have much problem passing as a man.

I do have some breast development that I have not even attempted to hide: people who have seen transsexuals before catch on immediately, but people who haven't somehow rationalize it away. However, it is likely that any male that saw me topless would think "boobs": not so much from the size and shape for me, but rather because my aureola are full female size, over 1 1/4 inches wide when relaxed.

But that's how hormones reacted on me. You are half my age, and would quite likely develop a bigger cup-size than I would. Some bust development, people just mentally write off as flab (at least at my age), but with you being a power-lifter that wouldn't fit.

If you are in a work environment where people sometimes see you topless, you would have a difficult time hiding HRT. Even if you did not take estrogen and just took an anti-androgen such as spiro, you would likely get some bust development. But if you are in an office (but your phrasing suggests to me you are closer to military) then you might be able to get away with "binding" your breasts.

Strength... I don't know if I lost any strength (I might have.) What I definitely lost was endurance: my muscles start getting tired in less than 1 minute (they don't take long to recharge for me, though.) And one of the less talked about aspects of spiro is that it tends to lead to a shortness of breath. Testostrone acts as a muscle fuel; reducing it far enough will affect the ability of your muscles to do sustained work. If you are competition-class, then it might become obvious to others; if you just do it because you enjoy it, then you might continue to enjoy it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Personally, I have very little experience in this area, Rachel. But, your thread seems poorly thot out at best. I see enormous conflicts in your goals. I'd like u to post again AFTER seeing a competent gender therapist/doctor! Then, what u say mite make better sense!
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 08-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've never liked the male side of myself. I tried to make myself more masculine when I was younger while I did get some pleasure out of it I was never happy. Since deciding that I wanted to pursue HRT I've felt more at peace with myself than I can ever remember.

Thank you for your response. So far it is the most helpful one I've recieved. I work in construction but was in the military for several years. I very rarely take my shirt off at work partially because I am heavily tattooed but also because unlike bodybuilders powerlifters often gain a fair bit of fat when they gain weight its because we don't train for aesthetics but for maximal strength and the days of me being able to eat what ever I wanted are long past. I was planning on competing but have found out that taking HRT would ironically precent me from competing as a raw and drug free lifter but also as a result of several injuries I have had over the years my body isn't going to be able to hold up to competiotion lifiting. I had never heard about the loss of endurance before but it makes sense thank you for telling me. I am taking this process very slowly and under the supervision of a doctor. I am currently getting blood work done to see if HRT is even a good idea for me given some other health concerns.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    There are some other construction workers here who have gone on HRT. I have seen a mix of reports from them:

• Some report that HRT has not affected their ability to work at all
    • Some report that HRT has made them change what they work at, but that they have been able to continue in construction without much difficulty.
    • Some report that HRT has led them to quit construction.

Spirolactone ("spiro") is a common anti-androgen whose primary purpose is lowering blood pressure. Some people need high doses of it, but other people (such as myself) turn out to be fairly sensitive to it. It can lead to dizzyness, especially when getting up from lying down, or sometimes even from sitting down. Spiro cannot be mixed with alcohol or any sedative, as the dizziness becomes too likely. I gather that in the period during which your body is adjusting to spiro (or to an increase in spiro), that using "heavy machinery" is recommended against. And, of course, walking the girders becomes a No-No.