Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breast implants

Breast implants

For those of you who have had BA, what type did you get, saline or silicone, and where is the scar, armpit, under the breasts or some other method.

I'm determined to get boobs in 2013! My main concern is not losing sensation in my nipples.

Banned Read only
    I recently had mine replaced. I went with saline. Only because of the silicone problems of the 90's. That still scares me. My scar is under the breast. I have not had any problems with losing sensation.

My wife went with saline and has had no problems with any loss of sensation. She does find that sleeping in a sports bra keeps her more comfortable at night, but I don't know if that's common with implants.

Anatomically shaped Cohesive Gel, and they had to go in under the breast because they were too big to go in anywhere else. Nips are fine now, but the whole boob was numb for a long time including the nipple.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Banned Read only
    April, there are three different different approaches to implant placement: axillary, inframammary, and periareolar. Nipple sensation is only at risk with the peri-areolar approach. However, this approach does leave the smallest scar. I will be going with silicone,as the texture/consistency is most natural. There is no reliable data showing adverse health outcomes from silicone implants. One of the manufacturers,in fact, provides a full 10 yr replacement guarantee, all surgical costs included

Living in CD Heaven Helen Grandeis's Avatar
    There is a surgeon in California who uses a trans umbilical procedure for Saline implants. Very short recovery times.
    Best Wishes for Personal Peace & Happiness
    -
    Helen Grandeis

My lovely Bride is looking at implants this spring and is thinking silicone and the under the breast incision. I can't discourage Her (like I really would...LOL) because She has been soooooo understanding and accepting of me and this will sorta balance out my laser & electrolysis adventures.
    ​Cindy

I have saline, and under the mussel, almost 2 years ago. Scar is on the nipple, small but took time to heal. A little jagged but nothing major. NO sensation loss. As a matter of fact, for the first year if anyone touched my left one it was WAY too sensitive. Now...well NICE!
    Last edited by abby39; 08-31-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    I'm a little bit shy, a bit strange, and a little bit manic...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm pretty sure I want silicone under the muscle, I don't really care how they get them in there as long as there is no loss of sensation.

Melissa are the gel implants softer and more natural than silicone? And Renee which manufacturer has that guarantee? I will have something done soon and am enjoying this discussion. Thanks April

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilrain View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm pretty sure I want silicone under the muscle, I don't really care how they get them in there as long as there is no loss of sensation.
    Sometime your body will dictate if it goes under the muscle or over. When i went to a surgeon last year for a consultation, he looked at my chest and said due to my muscle structure, that the implants would have to go above the muscle. My assumption is this may be common for MtF

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki S View Post
    Sometime your body will dictate if it goes under the muscle or over. When i went to a surgeon last year for a consultation, he looked at my chest and said due to my muscle structure, that the implants would have to go above the muscle. My assumption is this may be common for MtF
    Every one i have met has had theirs under the muscle. What i have heard is if your skinny then they should go under the muscle.

Why under the muscle?
    ​Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Jean View Post
    Why under the muscle?
    If one is thin the implants really stick out so putting them under the muscle makes them look more natural.

I have an old bicycle pump if that will work for ya!

Just call Me: "W - O - M - A - N"

As King said: "I'm free at last, I'm free at last.
    Thank God Almighty I'm free at last!"

Quote Originally Posted by morgan51 View Post
    Melissa are the gel implants softer and more natural than silicone? And Renee which manufacturer has that guarantee? I will have something done soon and am enjoying this discussion. Thanks April
    I don't know if they're softer Morgan. The doc just told me he recently switched to cohesive gel cuz it's the latest thing I guess. He did say that TS women should always go with the anatomically shaped (teardrop) implants though.

Mine are under the muscle as well, and it takes months for the muscle to relax to the point where they start looking and feeling natural. Mine are just now beginning to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Mine are 3rd generation Mentor, cohesive gel implants. Placed submascularly, via trans-axillary incision ( under the arm ). My AM was done Aug 31, 2011. They carry a 20 yr guarantee, but are not available in the US, yet.

In general you'll find that your surgeon will prefer one route and placement - you almost choose surgeon by choosing placement and the route in.

The scars are healing, on the right side it is essentially invisible. On the left there is a scar, not large, but somewhat disappointing. My breast are still quite numb, the nipples in particular. They are just starting to have some sensation. I'm worried about that, but the fact is that I have numbness in all of my surgery sites. My body's nerves don't heal quickly, everyone is different that way. Loss of sensation is a risk, and there is no way to avoid it. Meaning there is not a route or placement or implant type that is risk free. In general the route and placement that I had is considered to have the lowest risk for loss of sensation. The look is natural, and like Melissa, I am still healing and they are still getting more natural looking as time goes by.
    Last edited by Nigella; 09-03-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/faq.php?faq=main_rules#faq_photography
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Thankyou ladies that seems like a great choice. I beleive I will look at the gel implants seriously.

very nice looking breast charlene my surgen and i agreed to go under the arm to avoid scaring and sometime pain in wearing a bra from the underwire when he went in under the breast i have not got them yet but under the muscel keeps themin place a GG friend of mine did not do that and didnt wear her bra like she was suppose to and hers slipped down out of the pocket her doc created

Silver Member
    Let me say what I know from a medical standpoint.

There is NO way to guarantee that you will not loose nipple sensation. Of the three (now four) methods of insertion, ALL carry a possibility of nerve and sensation loss.

Saline implants are the only ones that can be used with the peri-areolar method because they are inserted deflated and inflated after insertion. Cohesive gel is much too large as it does not deflate. IMO, the peri-areolar method carries the greatest risk of sensation loss, but there are other opinions. The axillary insertion carries a similar risk as the nerves that connect to the nipples extend from the armpit.

An experienced surgeon is probably the best insurance you can have, but you MUST accept the fact that some loss of nipple sensation is a definite possibility. Anyone who tells you different is blowing smoke in your face.

The silicone cohesive gel implants are said to be more realistic in feel than the saline filled implants. This may be true, but in FACT, there seems to be little difference. The FACT is that although a good BA by an experienced plastic surgeon can LOOK fantastic, the reality is that they still FEEL fake, fake, fake, both to you and to anyone who may even brush up against you.

This may or may not be a problem for you. Most DUDES think that firm breasts are a good thing. But in reality, after puberty, real breast tissue is soft and squishy. A breast augmentation, even from an experienced and careful surgeon is NOT soft and squishy. If you can put up with this, and are willing to risk a certain amount of nipple sensation loss, perhaps a BA is right for you.

Saline is by far the safest implant although the skin of the implant is still silicone. The cohesive silicone gel carries a similar safety to saline because it IS cohesive, meaning it cannot rupture and spread silicone throughout your body. This is why, even though insertion is more invasive (needing a larger incision), most surgeons recommend cohesive gel.

Unfortunately, the MOST realistic feeling implants were the old liquid silicone filled implants of 40 years ago. These were the dangerous ones (and the ones responsible for silicone's bad rep) as liquid silicone is very dangerous when spread through your body. Too bad. Other fillings have been tried over the years. Peanut oil was used, but not very successfully.

There is no doubt that large breasts are a badge of femininity in our present society. BUT there are plenty of very feminine women in the world with small breasts. I am one myself. You don't HAVE to have big breasts to be feminine. A BA is expensive and painful, and takes many months to heal. Just be sure you approach this procedure realistically. Many women are very happy with their BA. You can be too.

Stephie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 09-01-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CharleneT View Post
    Mine are 3rd generation Mentor, cohesive gel implants. Placed submascularly, via trans-axillary incision ( under the arm ).
    Interesting. I had no idea there was a risk of losing nipple sensation when you get the armpit incision. But it sounds like you're getting some back.

How did you get gel implants through your armpits, though? Is that something that can put it and inflate like saline? Or did they just make a really big incision in your armpit?

Those do look pretty big for 300cc.

:) Post-Op Hippie Chick CharleneT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raquel June View Post
    Interesting. I had no idea there was a risk of losing nipple sensation when you get the armpit incision. But it sounds like you're getting some back.

How did you get gel implants through your armpits, though? Is that something that can put it and inflate like saline? Or did they just make a really big incision in your armpit?

Those do look pretty big for 300cc.
    As I mentioned and Steph expanded: there is always a chance of loss of sensation. In fact, I think it would be better to say that the issue is how much loss will occur - usually it is not a lot. My case is not the usual, dem's the chances you take.

"How did you get them gel implants through your armpits...?" -- Well, actually I did not get 'em through, I was in the throes of Propofol at the time !!

The how, I'm not completely sure. Ask a plastic surgeon how they do something and you will very likely get back silence... I asked Dr. Chettawut if he had to cut and re-attach muscles to do it. He said yes - and that was the end of our discussion of "how". As Steph mentioned, it does hurt (AM in general). Few people believe me, but the AM hurt worse than the GRS.

They are put in whole, only some saline implants are inflated in place ( in one technique, you are awake and they inflate until you say "that is enough").

Yes, they surely look larger than 300cc -- that is because I have a small chest. I believe that Dr. C should have used 250's, as I requested. He talked me into the 300's. But #17, I look pretty normal in the day to day. I'll attached a picture so you can see what I mean.

Do they feel completely un-natural as Steph says ( I mean to me ), yes, so far they do. This passes with time I'm told. Do they feel un-natural to others ? Probably, although in my past I was once intimate with a woman who had implants and I did not know it till later. I do not know the details of what she had. Mine definitely are firmer than nature. There was also a woman I was intimate with who had implants and major capsular contracture, it was not a good thing at all.... Ok, mine, you cannot "feel" the implants, I just have very firm breasts. They are soft and move mostly like a natural breast. Slowly they are getting "better".

Ok, there is an issue here that Steph sorta hints at, and I'll take the bull by the horns! I am turning out to be gay. Didn't expect that at all. Since surgery I have had sex with 3 people. 2 women and 1 man. None ever asked if I had implants, none seemed bothered by my breasts. All three enjoyed our intimate times. The two women and I had a great deal of fun Neither knew I was trans until I told them well after our intimacy started. In both cases about 4-5 weeks later. They could not tell and were quite surprised. Both ended our relationship because of that information.

So yes they are definitely a compromise - and yes they probably do not quite feel right. But in the "day to day", they work fine.

ALL of what we do is not "perfect". All is a compromise of some sort. Make too many of those compromises and you will end up unhappy. There is a sweet spot where it all works out though
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CharleneT; 09-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    There is a road—no simple highway—between the dawn and the dark of night.
    And if you go no one may follow. That path is for your steps alone.

Banned Read only
    Of those of you who have had recent implants, how many were told that your implants should be replaced at 10 years? There seems to be some controversy about this.

Here in the U.S. the FDA is saying breast implants are not lifetime devices. They should be replaced at 10 years. Most plastic surgeons contend that most breast implants do not need to be replaced at 10 years. If you are happy with your size, there is no indication of leakage, your breast remain soft and are not painful they do not need replacement.

What is your opinion?

Silver Member
    The boiler plate answer is that breast prosthesis are designed to last 10 years. In reality, as Jorja says, most implants last quite a bit longer than this. No, there is no need to fix something that is not broken.

We did have someone ranting recently about implants having to be replaced every ten years, but I think that was only that, a rant.

S

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    The boiler plate answer is that breast prosthesis are designed to last 10 years. In reality, as Jorja says, most implants last quite a bit longer than this. No, there is no need to fix something that is not broken.

We did have someone ranting recently about implants having to be replaced every ten years, but I think that was only that, a rant.

S
    A few months ago I had mine replaced because I had a flat. As I mentioned in my previous post, they were saline. I had gone 18 years on my first set. When I went in to get the new ones, the doctor mentioned replacement at 10 years to avoid problems.