Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mortified!

Mortified!

So, this is the first week of school for my kids. After a LONG summer of only being able to dress three times in the last three months there was no doubt in my mind I was getting dressed and going out! I normally only go out wearing jeans, sneakers, and a nice blouse, but I had to celebrate and wear a skirt, pantyhose, and heels. Things started off great! Went to a local mega shopping store and walked around checking out some possible toys for the kids, picked up some grocery items, tried on some shoes etc. While looking at the snacks section for my kids school, I caught a guy checking out my legs. LOVED it! Of course though when it came time to check out there were long lines. While waiting one of the cashiers called me 'miss' to let me know she is opening up her lane. That was a huge compliment to me. Then went and dropped off a movie at another store, then to the post office where a guy opened the door for me, then another guy held the door for me when I left! Then I decided to check one more thing off my 'achievement list' I always wanted to go inside a restaurant and order and eat there. I always went through the drive thru, but not today. I went inside Wendy's. No matter how hard I try, I can't speak in a femme voice. So what. I order, and the cashier calls me sweetie and is very kind to me. I know she can tell I'm Trans, but she treats me no different. She gives me my food and I grabbed the tray, step out, and it slips off my fingers and crashes to the floor! Everybody in the restaurant stares at me and I turn red in embarrassment. I was tempted to just run out the door. The cashier told me it is okay and to stay calm and she will take care of everything. I had tears in my eyes. But she remade my order and let the manager know that a mop was needed. Everybody stared at me as I took my seat. I pulled out my kindle and started reading; trying not to cry. I finished eating and made a hasty retreat. I told my wife about all that happened and she is an amazing woman. She tried to tell me all the positive stuff I experienced today and that it happens to everybody; straight, gay, or trans. Also she was proud that I stayed and didn't run away. It sucks to have a really good day to be ruined at the last second.
    Amber
    Last edited by AmberDay; 09-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004

So sorry for you; keep your chin up, things will get better! You were out there, and practice makes perfect.

I can so understand the feeling and frustration! But your wife is absolutely right to focus on the success of the day and the wonderful way you were treated, even while in distress! This really is a huge win for you! You presented as you feel and no negative remarks were made! Congratulations!

Hugs,
    Dana
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Chalk your experience up to Sh*% happens. It could have been you or a GG that had the accident. Today it was your turn. Everything else was a positive experience for you. So do it again at a later date but hold on to your tray.
    Last edited by Jorja; 09-04-2012 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberDay View Post
    It sucks to have a really good day to be ruined at the last second.
    I'm sorry it happened and feel for you, but the day will be ruined only if you allow it to be ruined.

Your wife gave you excellent advice and has the right attitude. Why let one incident ruin everything? Guess what? Poop happens. Something less than perfect or not according to plan is going to happen nearly every time you go out. When you only expect and accept perfection, you will be let down most of the time. You survived this mishap with the only real scars being embarrassment which fades. Instead of letting it ruin your day, use it as a building point for future trips out. You can say "I survived dropping my tray in Wendy's so I can survive anything else bad that will happen". Don't let that slippery tray win.

The thought of a spilt frosty just about brought tears to my eyes.... now I'm hungry.... I've done that in drab and it wasn't a lot fun then.... but you did good......
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Amber you had so many positives to build on from that day. Spilling the tray can happen to anybody. It doesn't sound like it outed you. It just made you a centershot for a couple of minutes. I get embarrased easily so I know what a sinking feeling it is.
    Last edited by Marleena; 09-04-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Well done a lady can rise above any mishap (and you did)

Oh you poor dear! I know that feeling because of the many mishaps that has occured in my life! Tomorow is another day and no one will remember it So smile about it today and remember it could of been worse! Hugs!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

Gold Member
    I say you had a great experience, Accidents can happen to anyone. The phrase I like to use
    is that "I use the eraser on my pencil".
    You should be very proud of yourself, you accomplish a lot today.
    Rader

Quote Originally Posted by AmberDay View Post
    ...... She gives me my food and I grabbed the tray, step out, and it slips off my fingers and crashes to the floor! Everybody in the restaurant stares at me and I turn red in embarrassment. ........... It sucks to have a really good day to be ruined at the last second.
    I did that once in a Burger King (not dressed), but it was a salad from the salad bar and I had piled my salad high with garbanzo beans (chick peas). If you don't know what garbanzo beans look like, they are round, hard, and about the size of marbles. They rolled everywhere. Under the salad bar, under the tables where customers were eating, everywhere!

Back to your post, it's great your wife was so supportive and she's right, stuff happens to everybody at one time or another. If you've got the balls (pardon the expression) to go out in public and into a restaurant dressed, you can handle something like this. Hold your boobs up high and move on!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Oh, do I feel for you, Amber!

Any woman gets flustered and embarrassed when things like that happen. Your feeling that you wanted to cry is the natural reaction for a woman in that situation! Certainly not what "a guy" would experience!

Part two: you fought down the fight-or-flight response and you maintained your cool!

Bottom line: You scored! Now you can not only check fast food restaurant off of your achievement list, you can check off "embarrassing situation"! And I'll bet you'd never even thought to have that particular "achievement" on your list. But it would be a normal possibility in any woman's life, when she would feel as bad as you did, and you made it through -- en femme!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

It could happen to anyone! And most of the day was great.
    You ever think about calling the store and telling them how great the cashier was? Don't have to go into details, but it would be good for her.

You had a lot of good things, and a lot of people saying a lot of good things to you. Ok so a tray slides out of your hand things like this happens to a lot of people in all kinds of places that have trays. I have had this happen to me both in male mode and dressed. I felt more uneasy in male mode then in female mode, go figure. lol
    have fun and enjoy life
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

Well after that experience anything else is a piece of cake. The tough part is that you feel like everyone is looking at you (and they are), but you gt through it and that is an achievement, Congrats

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just a small battle scar my dear nothing to worry about.
    Think of the line from the movie Predator when the guy says You're bleeding and Jesse Ventura says I ain't got time to bleed!!!

Aspiring Member
    Still a dammed good outing.

Awe . . . Bad things happen and it sounds like you handled it well.

Its funny... something like that wouldn't really phase me unless it was the last of the bad events in my day, just to top it all off. If the other parts of my day were good, it would not matter...in fact, it depends how you look at it, you ate and people looked at you, so what? You still made it through the day with lots to show for it (even learned how to handle such a situation).
    Chickie

I think overall it was a good day for you. You handled it amazingly. I only hope to have the strength and courage to go out in public and spend the day shopping. I'm scared to death to even go out in the dark. Thank you for proving that it can be done.

Angela

Amber, it seems you are well on your way towards your "feminine side", because a 100% "dude" would not have been "mortified" he would have been "pissed"!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa Rose View Post
    You survived this mishap with the only real scars being embarrassment which fades. Instead of letting it ruin your day, use it as a building point for future trips out. You can say "I survived dropping my tray in Wendy's so I can survive anything else bad that will happen". Don't let that slippery tray win.
    Hi Amber,

Great that you handled it the way you did. Melissa and others have made the point here -- if we can get through mishaps like this, we can handle most anything! I've never dropped a tray in Wendy's, but done a number of other dumb blonde things and somehow got through them .. and each time gives more more confidence for the next time! Now I need to let myself cry when the need arises ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Focus on the advancements of the day and leave all the negatives out.
    More progress you see.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Doesn't sound to me like anything got ruined....you had a great day out being dressed had a minor accident at lunch. You were able to go home and actually share your experience with your wife. Most here can't do that. Life happens regardless of you being dressed as a her or a him.

Joanna
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be who you are...not who you think I want you to be

The one thing that I do love about this site is that we can share our adventures and misadventures together. Granted I don't post often, and do go months at a time without logging in, but it is amazing how much better I feel after all the encouragement that I received from my wife and you gals; complete strangers. I want to thank everybody for raising my spirits! Many of you have pointed out that I was focusing so much on the negative that I failed to relish in the positive experiences of actually being called miss, having the door opened for me for a change, and actually getting checked out! You gals are right, the good far outweighs the bad. Although next time, I will hold the tray tighter

Love you all

Amber
    “But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy.”
    ― Ellen Wittlinger,

"we could mix all three, the two gendered and the one non-gendered, "she", "he", and "it", to make "shi...". No, nevermind, that won't work either... "
    Alimarx SDMB 2004