Thread: One of the Girls

One of the Girls

I went to a coed baby shower that followed choir practice last night. We were all standing around talking and after about 30 minutes or so I noticed that all the guys were gone and it was just me and 8 women sitting around talking about babies, kids and pregnancies. Although I was in obvious guy mode (all drab), it felt nice to be included and to feel a bit like one of the girls.

I think women are a bit flattered if a guy takes an interest in thier conversations and joins in respectfully. Anyway, it made for a great night.

there are some girls looking for a man just to listen to them you are just a rare few that gets into the conversation with them enjoy and have fun
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

Sounds lovely! Stick with the same group and one day one of them will say, "You're one of the girls, hon, we've totally forgotten that you're a guy!"

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Platinum Member
    I don't know if they are flattered, but I've found that women can be very welcoming to the occassional male who is able to participate meaningfully in their conversations. Some years ago, I was the only male at a Christmas gathering of my wife's female business associates. I felt right at home and as the evening progressed, one of the women commented that I was just like one of the girls. I'm sure I blushed, because that was about as nice a compliment as anyone might have offered.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I'm not sure what the reason is, but I have fit into conversation groups of either men or women all my life. And many times I have been the only man in a group of women! There are very few things that I can't carry on a conversation about. And I also have been told that I was just like one of the girls! Great compliment!!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Ah I've had this one many times, and I loved it even back when I was a mile deep in denial. When you find yourself the only man in a group of women, you can go with the flow and be 'one of the girls' and have a lot of fun. One thing that really changes it though is if another man appears on the scene unexpectedly - I noticed this a couple of weeks back when we were holding a leaving party for a woman at work. As soon as another bloke arrived, I felt myself instinctively going on the defensive and making ready to fight back against possible accusations of unmanliness. Very interesting, because my conscious mind wasn't involved at all, if I'd been asked 'Is being manly important to you at this time?' I'd've said 'of course not'.

When we really open ourselves up Hon, we find we are caring and sharing and nurturing just like most women. At that point our identification with most other guys kind of goes South. We know where we really fit in my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

The best of both worlds Kathi Lake's Avatar
    Right there. To your left. No, your LEFT! Yes, that's it. Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    . . . one day one of them will say, "You're one of the girls, hon, we've totally forgotten that you're a guy!"
    Yup! Sounds familiar.

Kathi

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I roadie and guitar tech for a friends band and I find myself at band gigs hanging with the wives and GF's of the band members.
    The band members hang out at the bar and I don't drink.
    The girls kid and joke with me and I really like hanging with them.

In an Enigma,surrounded by a Black Hole,inside a Conundrum
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    I roadie and guitar tech for a friends band and I find myself at band gigs hanging with the wives and GF's of the band members.
    The band members hang out at the bar and I don't drink.
    The girls kid and joke with me and I really like hanging with them.
    .................I wanna go!
    "it all unfolds before your eyes ,let Merlin cast his spell" [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds about right... spent a lot of my life in girl company... much more fun and you get better conversations! Nothing worse than being with a bunch of guys, well unless you are rocking it up on stage... but that is a different thing!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Girl talk, IMHO, is usually much more rational than male conversions.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I still enjoy guy conversations, but I don't pretend to be deep into sports or hunting. If the go into mountain biking or hiking, then I'm all in.

I was once told by a mechanic at a shop where I worked one summer that I kept things so clean that one day I'd be a good wife for someone. I know he was just teasing, but it was a nice compliment, even if a bit chauvanistic.

I often have difficulties with typical girl or male topic conversations at all. But I like talking to girls, they somehow think I'm sweet
    I cannot discuss sports or computer games at all. I tend to get hugged alot

At one of my former units, our population was about 50/50, Military/civilian, if you include prior military then it would be 60/30. The mission was very nonmilitary in nature and quite a few of us were noted for our lack of military bearing (nature of job/MOS/Rating attracting a certain independent mindset). This was most relaxed and trusted "military" (DADT) environment I had been in. Am I setting the stage well enough? We had a high percentage of female employees and one very out gay somewhat flamboyant male employee. He was automatically inducted into this girls club and somewhat served as a lightning rod to flush out intolerance. I got along with everyone, some more than others of course; teh gay guy and I got along fabulously. I was not as vigilant regarding my masculine mannerisms, soon I was also included. There were of course several comments made(all in fun with a knowing smirk), and some of the guys were embarassed for me, ie they would be mortified if the same happened to them, but I was at ease if not out. Examples: 1) Ok enough business talk, lets get to the fun conversation. Marcy can stay he is one of us. 2) I can't imagine (recital of persons in office) ever wearing this outfit. (my name was subtly exluded, a few got the joke)