Thread: Changing my name

Changing my name

Hi,

Up until now I have been using Sammy as my name as it was a simple (and not very inventive) version of my actual name.

When my GF and I went away recently I got to dress each evening that we were away and didn't really feel as if I could enjoy my girl role, being called Sammy just made me feel as if I was me in a dress rather than the girl I wanted to present as.

So I've been thinking about changing my alter ego name to Robyn, I like the name, feel like it suits me and feel comfortable with it.

Since my GF hasn't known about my CDing for very long I don't consider it a problem, but I wonder if she will, perhaps she will think I am trying to transition (which I'm not, just trying to get more comfortable with this whole CD odyssey). She is hugely accepting of the whole CD thing so I'm pretty sure it will be fine.

GF issues aside the real issue for me is, does this make any sense? Does feeling more comfortable with a name completely different to my own making me more able to accept my girl role seem logical?

Perhaps the distance it offers between my RL self and my CD self enables me to act more in the role I want to without feeling like I am just myself in a dress.

It's weird, but just thinking of myself as Robyn when dressed (yes I've already dressed and tried out my new name) makes me feel like it's OK to walk in a feminine way and act more feminine (or at least what I consider more feminine). When I'm referred to as Sammy it brings me crashing back to this being what I consider as a corruption of my male self and I feel more like a bloke stumbling around in heels.

Make sense?

xxx

Obviously I'll also have to do something about my forum name (I guess I'll have to talk to the admins)

I definitely think you need to do what makes you feel comfortable in CD form. If you have concerns about your GF's reaction, instead of just throwing it at her you may want to present it as a question. "What do you think about giving Sammy a more unique name?" or something along those lines. I think most of us treat our CD side as a unique individual. I know I wouldn't want to just be Brett in a dress.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    When I started dressing, I was Baby Steps, or Babes. while trying to figure out just what this was all about. It took about 6 months before Barbara surfaced and just felt right. If you are concerned about your GF, include her in the conversation. Make sure she does not have any bad history with a Robyn. Just letting her participate will make her feel more included in your dressing, and that is a good thing.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Hi Robyn...
    Have you considered using a name that is used by both sexes? Terry, Tracy, and Shelly are a couple that come to mind. I know quite a few GG that have the name Samantha and go by Sammy, but answer to both. There are so many more decesions to make with a life like ours, but I wish you well in your choice of names.

Mileena
    Man! I feel like a woman!

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cdsammy80 View Post
    Up until now I have been using Sammy as my name as it was a simple (and not very inventive) version of my actual name.

When my GF and I went away recently I got to dress each evening that we were away and didn't really feel as if I could enjoy my girl role, being called Sammy just made me feel as if I was me in a dress rather than the girl I wanted to present as.

So I've been thinking about changing my alter ego name to Robyn, I like the name, feel like it suits me and feel comfortable with it.
    Hi Sammy,

Just a couple of thoughts on names here. If Sammy is a variation of your real name and just feels like you in a dress, then Robyn is also a dual use name.

If you look through the threads here and Barbara's post too, changing of names is a constant theme. Mine came out of the blue and I'd liked it for years so no issue for me. Stick with Sammy in the interim and give it some real thought or you'll be back again in a few weeks time. Go for something nice and femme, pure femme with no male overtones and definitely involve your GF......Here endeth the lecture

Good luck on your name pick!

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Just an idea that maybe you had not even thought about. Since your girlfriend hasn't known about your CDing for long, yet is accepting. Why not ask her if there is a name that she would like to call you instead of Sammy?
    It might help her feel she is more a part of it if she is asked. Depending on what name she might come up with, you might find you like it even more then Robyn since it was given to you by someone you care about.

You know what? I say if you want to be named robyn... And it helps you to complete/feel like the inner femme that you are, and I don't mean that in any derogatory way, so be it. If your SO is comfortable with you CDing, then the name you pick should be seen as an alter ego, and a new girl friend of said SO. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me GG's.

My nom de femme was given to me by a friend (An alteration of Lee). I've been considering a more fitting name for myself. My wife and I took months (almost her entire pregnancies) to settle on names for our children, why accept the first name tossed out for myself? I want my wife to have some input into the decision as well. This could take a while to find the perfect name. Take your time and Robyn might or might not be it. Either way, be at peace.