Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing on TV

Aspiring Member
    The storylines of most TV shows revolve around one of two aspects of the lives of the main characters. The first is their job and the second is their relationships with the other characters. Such things as their personal interests or idiosynchracies sometimes get mentioned, but it is mostly filler, smalltalk or referenced in conversations. It usually provides some of the humour or supplies some background to explain what is happening in the primary storyline. Crossdressing is usually too complex an issue to use as such a filler,and could possibly overpower the primary story, if it involves one of the main characters, because of the needed visual aspect of it. Homosexuality is now somewhat prevalent on many shows because it ties into one of the primary issues more easily, which is the relationship between the primary characters. Also, homosexuals represent a larger percentage of the population than crossdressers and their inclusion seems more logical.

Soap operas provided an ideal medium for the portrayal of crossdressing, as the story lines are ongoing for weeks on end, and the entire story does not have to be told in a half hour or hour segment as with most shows. I never saw the "All My Children" episodes mentioned, nor did I manage to catch the "Bunny" character on the old "Santa Barbara" show, because by the time I heard about it and began to tape the show, he had stopped dressing for a reason that I didn't hear explained. There was just a few references to what he used to do.

The British soap "Coronation Street" has had an ongoing MtF transexual for many years, but the part is played by a woman, and the character was not on the show prior to the transition. Unfortunaytely, soaps are going the way of the dodo.

Drew Carey's brother Steve was one of the best examples of a crossdressing character because he was ongoing for several seasons, appeared in either male or female mode for no obvious reason either way, was not one of the principal characters and was less quirky than the main characters. Despite some humour to his part, his was the most "normal" character in many ways. Also, near the end of the show he went into denial in order to marry Mimi, who was more of a "clown" than Steve ever was.

Veronica

I know most of you do not speak Spanish, but on the Spanish station Univision they have problably one of the best CD themed Telenovela (Spanish for Soap Opera) called "Por Ella soy EVA"(For her I am Eva). The long and short of it is that these realy macho Mexico City Exect. who only see women as eye candy(I can tell you you'll see some of the sexiest women on these Soap Operas) and treat them with no reapect at all. The main carecter is this nice womanising man that is accused of fraud and finaly falls in love with a single mother, but is forced to fake his own death in oeder to find out who framed him. A he tries to hide he meets this beautiful woman when he rents a room from her and she is a make-up artist to the stars and she sugjest that he dress as a woman to hide his identity. They actualy do a great job in turning him into a good looking woman. The good part of this soap is that he learns of what all the bad they used to do to women and he looks at men through the shoes of woman. It is a comedy, but unlike other CD depictions he's not the butt of all the jokes. Verry good and woth getting a translation of the show. Thanks Gena.

Last season there was an episode of The Mentalist dealing with CD. It was a rather sensitive portrayal of the difficulties of being CD and it had a rather happy CD ending to a nasty 'murder' of a young man in a burning car.

Gigi
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Maine View Post
    Last season there was an episode of The Mentalist dealing with CD. It was a rather sensitive portrayal of the difficulties of being CD and it had a rather happy CD ending to a nasty 'murder' of a young man in a burning car.

Gigi
    Is this season 4? I've just started watching the Mentalist again from the beginning but only have the first two series' on DVD and I think I'd remember this episode lol
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

There was a short fly-on-ther-wall series onUK TV's channel4. It's available online
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/m...ual-summer/4od
    It showed the lives of both MtF and FtM as they moved towards their new lives. While this strictly isn't about Cd'ers many of the social issues around gender roles are observed.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    There was a short fly-on-ther-wall series onUK TV's channel4. It's available online
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/m...ual-summer/4od
    It showed the lives of both MtF and FtM as they moved towards their new lives. While this strictly isn't about Cd'ers many of the social issues around gender roles are observed.
    Brilliant show, nearly made me cry at the end. I hope they do another series. Also found the promo for the Mentalist episode mentioned earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0cYSuGvNk
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

CDs appear on TV for various reasons:

1. To promote and satisfy prurient interest (reality shows)
    2. To provide comic relief (Corporal Klinger, et. al.)
    3. To further a plot (CDing as a disguise or perverse disorder)
    4. To create discord (Wife/friends reaction to revelation)

Beyond that, CDers are really too boring to sell commercials.

Like in many situations, the gay community has led the way. Openly gay characters are relatively common on TV these days, but beyond the same reasons named above there is little reason to discuss sexual orientation at all. Gays are just folk like everyone else.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post

Beyond that, CDers are really too boring to sell commercials.

Like in many situations, the gay community has led the way. Openly gay characters are relatively common on TV these days, but beyond the same reasons named above there is little reason to discuss sexual orientation at all. Gays are just folk like everyone else.
    A man in a dress provokes laughter to the masses most of the time,and can tend to get boring. Not too good for ratings and selling commercials. Two men, or two women, kissing or in bed tends more to shock, and therefore receives more attention or publicity, which is the name of the game. Also, the plots and sub plots usually involve romantic relationships and the gay factor provides both a relationship and the desired publicity and shock value. At least until they can reach a stage where these factors cease to be relevant. Crossdressing, on the other hand, tends to distract from most story lines, and seldom fits the plot.

Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by xdressed View Post
    Is this season 4? I've just started watching the Mentalist again from the beginning but only have the first two series' on DVD and I think I'd remember this episode lol
    Yes, season 4, episode 21.

Gigi
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

Anyone remember the FOX network program called Boston Public? It was about a high school and day to day life of students and teachers. One episode centered on a male student who wanted to wear w dress to the prom. He took a lot of flack from fellow students and some teachers, but also got plenty of encouragement from others. On prom night he made a grand enterance in a floor length dress and joined in for an enjoyable night.

I think the script writers for that episode touched on the subject of crossdressing in everyday life and did it well. He wasn't presented as a buffoon or an over the top drag queen, just an average student who had a desire to promote his feminine side. I think if any network could pull off a serious show with a crossdressing theme, it would be FOX. Does anybody else remember that episode?
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Personally if there was a show that touched or openly brought out cross dressing into mainstream, the easiest way would be taking a teen show where they have the lives of teenagers intertwined. Having a male character who not just faces the normal teen problems, but has to deal with wanting to dress like a female. Things some of us can relate to such as fear of being caught, dealing with family and friends, loneliness, sexuality, and how the teen gets his clothes (siblings, buys, or steals(this is a matter on its one as I do not want to portray CDs as being thieves, but just showing how far a person would go to get clothes without someone recognizing him)). Issues of him being beat up, bullied, or not being accepted would help to put him into a more sympathetic light, but having him have a sense of humor either with his friends or in female persona would make him likeable. Hope this made sense...

I recall an episode of House MD in which House brings a T-gurl on a double date with Wilson to stick it to him. Of course Houses plan back fires when it turns out both Wilsons date and the T-gurl grew up in the same town, much camaraderie ensues leaving House looking dejected . I thought the character was portrayed with respect for our community, too bad that seems to be a rairity in the mainstream media.

In fact, here's a whole big list of "Wholesome Crossdressers" presented by TVTropes. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...meCrossdresser

Some of them are debatable choices, with a lot of "in this one episode/issue/etc a guy dressed as a girl for some reason", but there's actually a surprising number of examples. Of course, a lot of them are from anime and manga, as the Japanese seem to be a lot more willing to explore crossdressing in general.

every scene with bruce jenner.. if you know points to his crossdressing.. today i watched scott and bruce get a shave. there was a definite joke about it as they were walking in to the barbershop. then bruce got a facial as scott had a shave.. bruce does not have facial hair anymore. . so. its there.. fascinating.. looks like they are dealing with all the things we are dealing with. . i dont enjoy that show but i keep watching it because its there.. with all the marital problems they have i wouldnt be surprised if bruce transitions one day

I would agree that gay bounderies on TV have been pushed foward. It will take time for crossdressing to become more accepted on TV too. But it will happen.

Don't worry ladies, I'm working on it

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyfaye View Post
    I would agree that gay bounderies on TV have been pushed foward. It will take time for crossdressing to become more accepted on TV too. But it will happen.

Don't worry ladies, I'm working on it
    And a new avatar every day too!
    Cameras are an addiction you know young Kimberly

Reb
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

The current season of Glee quite favorably portrays a cross-dressing youth played by Alex Newell (who, I'm pretty sure, is also a cross-dresser in real life.)

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenA View Post
    ...It was not Ferguson - he played Carey's boss. The character was Drew Carey's brother Steve, played by John Carroll Lynch, who has been in many movies, including "Fargo" and "Gran Torino."

At the time, I remember admiring the very fair and honest depiction, since it was an average guy with little hope of passing but who nonetheless didn't feel a need to be completely closeted. Meanwhile, his cross-dressing was just one part of his whole life, not THE defining element.

I also wondered, however, how such a storyline, minor though it was, could get into a mainstream TV show. I suspected someone with much influence in the show's production wanted it there. That then made me wonder if Drew Carey is a CDer himself and had the character/situation included, but as a "one-off" by making it about his fictional brother...
    True, Colleen - a sympathetic and accurate portrayal of a typical CDer initially, but then they had to go and mess it up my making Mimi into Steve's love interest, thereby pandering to the lowest common comedic denominator yet again.

Definite mixed signals there. Yes, it was admirable to show that hetero GG could be attracted to a CDer, but of all people, a freak show in her own right like Mimi???

Beautiful Girl to Nikki ♥ Billiebluenose1878 GG's Avatar
    Anyone heard of Paul O.Grady ... he had a charachter on tv called Lily Savage ... youtube it very funny guy xxxx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]To wake up and see SweetNikki i love by my side happy is very special and important to me xxxxx
    In life ... we dont lose friends .... we discover who our real friends really are ....

Cariad a Cwtches xxxxx

Love everyone equally and tolerate all xxxxx

@WelshbirdBillie on Twitter

Boston Legal had a regular character who was TG: a MTF who worked as a secretary and had serious issues with low self-esteem as a guy. LA Law had an episode about a gay teen (?) who crossdressers while hooking. Befriended a regular, but ended up being murdered.

The real breakthrough would be a character who just happened to CD, but that wasn't the main activity or theme, just a pastime like bowling or being a movie buff. Characters aren't often so 3dimensonal.

Is CD OUR defining characteristic, or just a sideline?

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!

I've been watching some Big Bang Theory DVDs (up to the end of Season 5) and I think that Raj character is pretty definitely one of us. It's been mentioned that he keeps a Lt. Uhuru uniform in his closet. When the entire group lost a bet and had to appear at the comic book store dressed as female superheroes Raj (dressed as Catwoman) exclaimed "I feel empowered!" He also stated, when his sexuality was questioned, "I like women, and their skin care products!"
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I remember an episode of Starsky & Hutch that had a villain crossdresser. The dresser was very passable and would make men weak with her female charms. Then she would karate kick them into submission! At the end there was a fight between her and S&H with the lady doing round house kicks!

Don't you hate that all TS characters in the movies and tv series are always GG?

Of course, a lot of them are from anime and manga, as the Japanese seem to be a lot more willing to explore crossdressing in general.
    You're right, there's hundreds of mangas and animes centered on CD or just with CD characters.
    Last edited by Saffron; 10-08-2012 at 08:34 PM.
    "I'm not sure. But I'll never know unless I give it a shot."

Bosome Buddies, Love Boat so many guests hiding as women to get aboard, John Ritter threes Company,The office I mean there are sooo many if you pay attention. Even the king of Queens he donned a dress ...

Somewhere out there, beneath the pale moonlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffron View Post
    Don't you hate that all TS characters in the movies and tv series are always GG?
    Usually? Yes. Always? No.
    One of John Lithgow's early roles was as a TS woman in "The World According to Garp."
    And then, of course, there is "The Crying Game."

To name only two.
    If only our families and friends could be as supportive as our bras!