Thread: Just a sweet transvestite.

Just a sweet transvestite.

From Transexual Transylvania.

I was just wondering what anyone thinks of The Rocky Horror Picture Show? I love that film. Of course I don't think transvestites trap people in their houses and sing to them, well maybe the odd few, but I think it's a fun film.

Is it the type of film any of you would associate with CD's? And is it the type of film you would watch?

saw it many times like it for funny
    not crossdressing more transvestite like the difference between apples and oranges
    WHEN IN STRESS WEAR A DRESS
    BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF IT ALL YOU GOT

I lived next to the Roxy theatre in Toronto, where for years they ran a friday midnight showing of RHPS. I'd look out my apartment window and see a hundred teenage boys with hairy legs in lingerie freezing thier butts off waiting for the doors to open. I should be the last to laugh at a guy in panties... but dammit Janet, it was funny.

Funny, I have the DVD and have never watched it! And I've attended shadowcast performances many times and have really never watched the entire film (for example: the shadowcast hates the dinner scene, so they ignore it and everyone bounces beachballs through it).

I've been trained by the school that says the only way is being in a participating audience for a shadowcast. They refer to watching the film, particularly alone, as "masturbation."

Here in L.A. there is a shadowcast showing at midnight every week at the NuArt theater on Wilshire and it is definitely not for the faint of heart!

Everyone comes in costume. You get in line about an hour early (standing on the pavement in 5" stilettoes for an hour is quite an experience!) and then have to go through security. They separate everyone by sex and do a serious check for weapons, glass bottles, liquids, etc. including a pat down. I've always found it amusing that even though they are a very savvy group (after all, they work with a crossdressed audience every week) if I get in the men's line they always send me over to the ladies one (they don't do that with everyone).

So some day skip the "masturbating" DVD and check out a shadowcast performance! And I'll promise to someday watch the video, late at night with the shades drawn.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Agree with Persephone. RHPS is not a movie to watch. It is a cult theater experience that you participate in -- I do once a year. I can't image sitting home alone and watching it, dressed or not.

Platinum Member
    Actually I have trapped a few unsuspecting people...but never mind. Yup, we've enjoyed RHS many times...very campy and fun.

I love it now, but lemme tell ya: the first time I saw it, it really messed me up. I was about 19, I was living at my parents', and was still in the early phases: stealing/borrowing things from my mom & sisters, deep in shame, and certain I was some kind of freak. At the time, I don't think I was even aware that there were other people who crossdressed.

Enter RHPS; I went to a showing where people were re-enacting in front of the movie. I was so emotionally overloaded that my brain was scrozzled for weeks after that. Tim Curry looking fabulous but obviously over the top and apparently gay, and characters being transformed later on ...and liking it. I had no idea what to make of it all.

I had a hard time concluding anything other than that dabbling would eventually lead me to go over the top like Dr. Frankenfurter and to become gay. And there was no one I could dare talk to about it all. I think I was pretty much in shock for days afterward.

...I got better.

Rite of passage for any CD/TG individual. My mom even likes it because of the resemblance between herself and Susan Sarandon. I think Tim Curry is far more scary as a clown in the movie It ("Hiya Georgie...aren't you gonna say hello?") than RHPS.

Absolute classic, just because you all reminded me I'm going to do the TIME WARP AGAIN!!!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

A different perspective on the RHPS!

I saw it many times and many years in movie houses and on stage way before it became a "cult event" in theaters.

And, that was NEARLY 20 YEARS BEFORE I EVER THOT TO TRY ON LADIES CLOTHES!

I've always liked outrageous anti-normal films. However, one thing I DO remember thinking from back then is,

HOW HOT EVERYONE'S LEGS LOOKED IN HEELS AND NYLONS!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I've seen the film but I'm not a big fan of it and I don't associate it with the CD community. The costumes are that of a drag queen - theatrical, exaggerated, and drawing attention to oneself. Yes, there are plenty of CDs who like to dress up in sexy and flamboyant ways, but that doesn't accurately represent what it means to be a CD. Many of us want to be more subtle, whether that means simply wearing feminine undergarments and painting your toenails, or wearing feminine but not overly suggestive clothing. To a lot of us the whole theatrical thing just doesn't appeal to us.

I'm not bashing the film or the people who like it, by the way. I just wouldn't like it to be the first thing that comes to mind when people think about crossdressing.
    Back on the forums! But still very much closeted.

The movie was great, up to the point where Meatloaf got eaten.
    The ending was flat.
    The music is wonderful!!!

This movie is a classic. It doesn't get shown in theatres where I live, although it might in Philly and I just haven't caught on. But I have the Dvd and enjoy it. I also enjoy other movies of this type like Pink Flamingos, Killer Drag Queens On Dope, To Wong Fu..., etc. I suppose others may protest these films, but I think they are great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Wow, RHPS really takes me back to my college days. A local theater would show it once a month at midnight on a Saturday. My friends and I would dress up in character, get stoned and go. It was the only time I could get away with CDing in college in the 70's. I can still close my eyes and remember those awesome lips singing in a dark theater at the opening.
    Thanks for taking me back.
    EllenJo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Oh lawdy! Horrible, awful, dreadful, despicable Broadway pseudo-rawk with an incredibly bad grade-Z movie wrapped around it. Tell me I'm wrong. I know I'm not.

Love the movie...haven't seen it in a theater dressed yet though.
    It's not what I would think of as a cd movie, but then I can't think of one that is. All of them use the format in some way other than as we see it.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

My only public cd'ing was to see the Theatre production. Once in Nottingham and once in Hackney, East London. Travelling on the London Underground fully en femme was a fun experience as Frank. I went with 4 French Maids (my ex, her Mum, Sister and best friend).

Quote Originally Posted by pj View Post
    Oh lawdy! Horrible, awful, dreadful, despicable Broadway pseudo-rawk with an incredibly bad grade-Z movie wrapped around it. Tell me I'm wrong. I know I'm not.

You are not wrong. You have described exactly what makes it great!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Slipper View Post
    Absolute classic, just because you all reminded me I'm going to do the TIME WARP AGAIN!!!
    Honey, I do the time warp every morning when I wake up!

RHPS is a classic and will never die.

I saw the film recently and was fairly neutral on it. I enjoyed a lot of the music, there were some good laughs in it.

But I don't get excited about a film simply because there's some crossdressing in it. I'm much more interested in films like "Just Like a Woman" that tell people something about life in the transworld.

That movie came out around the time I was born and had a cult following by the time I saw it when I was ten.

My mother took me to it to scare my gender bending ways out of me by telling me I would end up like that if I did not stop the things I was doing.

For years afterward I associated being TG with being crazy partly because of that movie.

I Love RHPS!!!
    I saw it for the first time as an 8th grader in 1980. I was hooked. Saw it every Friday night at midnight from February of '80 untill sometime in 1996. Started with the shadow cast as a high school freshman, almost always as Frankinfurter. What a rush to be out on the streets of San Antonio in a black teddy, fishnets and high heels at age 14 and not getting your ass kicked!

It didn't do much for me.
    The CD aspect of it did not grab me at all.
    It made money and gave theatres some good business so in that regard it was a good film.
    Lots of gimmicky nights and audience participation.
    I made money organizing shows around it, so from that aspect it was enjoyable..
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hard to find but Richard O'brian (not sure of the spelling at the moment) did a second movie called "Shock Treatment". Barry Humphries (he's Dame Edna also) is in it and does a song "Little Black Dress" about crossdressing. (he's also is in the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore film "Bedazzeld" (spelling again) as Envy, one of the seven sins.