Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And The World Turns

Quote Originally Posted by sandra-leigh View Post
    As mentioned above, my M-I-L who lives with us has Alzheimer's. One of the difficulties I have been dealing with is my tendency to more and more treat her like a child, or to refer to her like a semi-trained animal. Like my teasing her by tapping on her far shoulder, to get some reaction from her, to interact with her somehow. Or my suggesting to my wife that, "you should put your mother outside" on a nice day -- she does need the fresh air, but I feel bad about referring to her like she is a pet to be put outdoors for a while... and I find as time goes that it gets easier for me to say such things. I'm shedding some of my own humanity as she gets worse.
    Not the example i was thinking of, but very astute observation nevertheless. I think it can be worse in the early stages, when you can see that they know something is wrong, but don't know exactly waht.....
    Last edited by UNDERDRESSER; 09-17-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.