Thread: Going to dress barn tonight

Going to dress barn tonight

The past few weeks I've been going to lane bryant in the evenings when they aren't very busy. I'll just go in and look around. Someone will come ask me if I need help and I'll talk to them a bit. It usually comes up to what size am I looking for and what colors does who I'm buying them for like. I then say oh this is for me. So far no one has been phased at all by this. I've been looking online at dress barn and I see some things on there I like. Has anyone had any experience with them? I tried Cato and they pretty much told me to go away. I think next time I go to lane byant I might take in a bra and my home made forms with me and try some things on. too bad they don't have much that I like right now. Can puffy sleeves make another comeback please?

I suggest care in seeking out stores that are CD accepting, it is not necessarily the store but some of the SA's that are helpful.
    Some may just yell "SECURITY".
    I like puffy sleeves too.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I think you will find the same thing when you go to Dress Barn as you found at Lane Bryant. You have money, they want your money, they are supposed to be nice. If they aren't...then there is corporate to deal with
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I would hope they wouldn't kick me out just for being a guy looking around the store at women's clothes. I make to sure to go in when it's not busy. I've only gotten a room once, and I made sure to wait around until there were less people around. the girl at lane bryant was great. She put the stuff in the room then when no one was looking I just kind of walked on back. I just don't like any of their stuff right now. But dress barn looks like it might have some possibilities. They have 2 dresses with puffy sleeves. Lane Bryant doesn't have any.

You'll be fine
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Platinum Member
    Like Lori said, you'll be fine. I've shopped Dress Barn en femme and drab. Nothing but positive vibes.

As for the puffy sleeves...not sure you'll find much out there.

Aspiring Member Tammy Nowakowski's Avatar
    Like all the other said, you'll be fine.

I have been really surprised by the people at lane bryant. I asked the girl if they have many guys come in. She says I'm the only one. Weird. She seemed to agree with me that she doesn't like the style much this year. But when I tell them the clothes are for me it doesn't seem to phase them at all. I was expecting an "oh, okay. well then..." But no. Nothing. They have even made suggestions on what to pair things with. Cause, even though I may be looking for women's clothes, I'm still a guy and have the fashion sense of a sick cow.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Quit throwing your money away. Value Village and Goodwill have great stuff for less than half the prices of LB and the DB. Know your sizes, expect to find one our two things each time you visit. Be judicious in your purchases and be bold and confident. I've come to know the good looking red headed manager of my local Value Village and she always greets me with a smile and tells me about the sale items, etc.

so far I have yet to buy anything. I'm planning on going to a consignment shop too. But, not sure how they are about dressing rooms there.

The level of friendliness may drop off fast if you're showing up every evening to just look and try on stuff. You really need to be an actual customer.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

well so far, I've only been to lane bryant twice and not dress barn, so for now they don't know I'm not buying anything.

Sorry, your original post made it sound to me like you'd been going to Lane Bryant a lot over the course of the last few weeks. But still, buying something is a very good idea, doesn't have to be a lot of stuff or anything too expensive, just let them know that you're really a customer and not someone up to no good.

When I lived in the city I used to shop in a nearby Lane Bryant store, they were nice but a bit reserved initially, but when they saw that I was actually buying stuff, they became much more friendly and helpful.

Carol
    Last edited by Julogden; 02-11-2013 at 03:44 PM.
    My name is Carol.

No problem. I've only been there twice. the first time just to talk and the 2nd time I tried on one blouse. But they didn't have much else that interested me. If I find something I like and it's not too expensive then I'll buy. My wife and I wear the same size, so it has twice the chance of getting worn.

Well that was a bust. Also no luck at the consignment store. Their plus size selection was pathetic. No one would even speak to me at dress barn.

I have found some really nice thing a Dress Barn. But I havn't benn there in some time hun.
    Angie

Quote Originally Posted by cactussteve View Post
    No one would even speak to me at dress barn.
    Did you try talking to one of them? Or were you tentative, shy or in any way not 100% comfortable? Many sales associates pick up on negative vibes. Each store and sales associate has a different style and philosophy. Some do not engage in customers unless it appears they want or need help. This is meant as a generic comment, but a customer giving off odd vibes may be watched but not approached. It is short sighted from a sales standpoint, but reality in some cases.

As previously mentioned, it is the individual sales associates and to some extent the individual stores that dictates trans friendliness. The Dress Barn's in my area welcome the business. Scroll down to the bottom of this web page to see a great example of a Dress Barn store welcoming transgender customers. http://www.rivercitygems.org/events.html . Each of the area stores want to host the River City Gems VIP parties, but we stick with the one because of their better hours and a several year history with the store. On occasion a trans person comes into the store and the sale associates refer them to the River City Gems. How much more trans friendly can a store be? When someone asks for a trans friendly clothing store, this specific Dress Barn is the first place recommended. They are happy for the business. When you find a friendly store, give them your business when possible. Money talks.

Last month I stopped in Dress Barn en drab just to look around.
    SA of course as me If she could help me. I said I was looking fr a skirt below my
    Knees and in possibly a size 14. Absolutely no problem. She showed me a few as we
    looked around and we picked up a few skirts and she brought them with us to the changing
    room where I tried them on and bought a really nice on that was on sale.
    Great time. You will have the same experience if you tell the truth an don't try
    to fake it.

DB is very friendly. I have visited over 50 around the country. There has been only one SA that had a personal issue and preferred that I bought and tried on at home. Of course, I went to another store with my business.

DB has some fabulous end of season sales if you are patient.

Be sure to sign up for a blush perks account.

Okay I'll try again sometime. I'm very nervous so that is probably the problem. They had some beautiful blouses with big billowy sleeves. Not sure how much they would billow with my fat arms though. Didn't really see many dresses I liked. Did find an amazing skirt though. Maybe later. She probably thought I was a weirdo. Which is true, I am. But I wasn't up to no good. Just shy and a bit scared.

Taking the step to go in and shop was always the more difficult part for me. Once I was in, I'd buy with abandon.

Don't over-think this, it's not brain surgery, just relax and pick out something that you like, ask for the SA's help if you'd need it, plunk down your money/plastic and enjoy.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I shop Dress Barn all the time. I always shop en femme and all the SA's know me by name and treat me great. I can't tell you how many wonderful clothes I have gotten there.

I was in Dress Barn a couple weeks ago, I was asked if I needed any help, told the sa thanks I'm just looking right now. I found 2 dresses on the clearance rack I liked but was not sure on size, I decided to buy one. Took it to the same sa she said did you found something you like? I said yes I did, I don't think she had any bought it was for me, it was a very pleasant purchase. I went home and tried the dress on and it fit perfectly. The next day I went back to buy the other dress, the woman who waited on me kind of looked down her nose at me, not nearly as pleasant as the night before. I was in drab both times.

I am surprised that you werent treated kindly at Catos. I have gone to several of their stores and have been treated very well. In fact I have tried on things there. Dress Barn is very cd friendly as well. I posted a thread some time ago called from customer to sales associate. That was at a Dress Barn. I have several things from them. I also shop in drab all of the time and have had very good reception when I have told them that I am shopping for myself. Just go with confidence and if they dont like it dont spend any money with them.

Maybe it's because you lied to her. She would have let you try it on if you told her it was for you.