Thread: "Differently-Abled"

"Differently-Abled"

The other day while shopping at the local mall with my wife, we decided to use the restrooms near the food court. Just past the expected "mens" and "ladies" restrooms is a "family" restroom. There is a sign stating that "This family restroom is intended for families with children and our Differently-Abled customers."

So I have to wonder if a person who is dressed as a female but has male body parts would be considered "Differently-Abled"?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I think the sign is just perfect. And takes the stress away of need the nwashroom when dressed.

Duchess of Eyeliner Erica2Sweet's Avatar
    It's interesting to me to try to understand the thought processes that go into the creation of all this new terminology coming out of political correctness. I'm often surprised that many don't accept (or realize) that all this terminology piles on more and more layers of self-censorship to our public dialog, which in turn limits our own freedom to express ourselves out of fear of offending someone whom we have no intention of offending in the first place...

When I'm in girl-mode and I have to tinkle, I go to that restroom if at all possible.

Please take it as you will. I Call myself Disabled ? Because I'm Legally Handicapped.
    Nice People I say It is PC--But I Don't care.. They call me Differently-Abled. Now I did digg this term..

Now As People who like to Portray The whole Specrum of Gender or The slice we call comfort, if we consider this a disability-or a different ability--OR a Differ-Abled human? It is quite ok by me. L Loathe being dis-abled-Or Labeled to feel good by Differently Abled--It Doesn't change reality. Now I Hope this verbiage does not change the way we or others view us. That said please understand my reaction to the word or words. This by no means is the opinion of anyone else but 1 disabled person whoms dislikes the state of being-Dis or differently I am still labeled different. Should all whom wear others Threads? I dunno?
    LOVE Tash~

Banned Read only
    I think the term is OK. I'm sure the property manager is trying to encourage limiting occupancy to those who need additional privacy. If you appear as an able bodied woman with no visual infirmity or handicap does anyone know if you're wearing a colostomy bag? No.

Platinum Member
    Hi Linda, If It's not locked I'm going in.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Platinum Member
    In a little more than a year of experience being out en femme, I've only used the women's restroom when nature called. I have used that family restroom for a couple of costume changes while on the road. In the family restroom, I can change completely without rushing or freaking out anyone.

As to the question - my physical abilities don't seem to be different, regardless of my attire, so at least for me, the term doesn't work. Nice try though

Aside from the awkward term "Differently-Abled", I'm wondering what the purpose of the sign was. The mens and ladies restrooms are already signed and equipped for handicap access.

I can only guess it is an attempt to discourage those otherwise able to use the mens and ladies restrooms from using the family restroom as it can only be used by one person (or family) at a time.

There's no attendant to limit users and the phrasing "intended for use" does not prohibit others from using it, so if I were out dressed and had to go, that would be my choice.

Many years ago there was a cartoon series on TV called "Duckman". Duckman was a private detective (he was also a duck, remember this is a cartoon) but one of his sons had a human body but with two heads. Duckman referred to his son as "differently-abled". It's on youtube.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Forget the sign, if there is someone with a disability let them go first.
    When in the skifields most people use the disabled restrooms as there is more room to remove bulky clothing.
    Yes there are disabled skiers, they are usually amputees, and they ski FAAAST!
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I'm part of a family with children so I can use it. ...doesn't say I have to bring my family... and if it did, is it for one kid, all the kids and grandparents too? ....Its all silly! The world just needs to have one door that says 'toilet'. Inside it should have room for a wheelchair and a slot to take care of a baby and a makeup mirror for TG folks. One stall in each and multiple rooms for large crowds.
    Chickie

I'm thinking this is a good place for adults who need help doing their "business" and are out with a caregiver of a different gender. A husband helping his dissabled wife, etc.

I would use it if I was out dressed, no doubt, but I would feel bad if when I finished and exited, there was a long line of families or dissabled people who had been waiting for me.

Banned Read only
    Personally, I wish the term Politically Correct had NEVER been created. It becomes an excuse and catch-all for constricted thinking about things that really matter and have a purpose.

That said, I am Differently Abled. I have had arthritis since age 6. I am now 63. Just because I can ride my bicycle for 30 or 50 miles at a crack and that I appear to be ambulatory, does not mean that I am fully functional physically. So, instead of Differently Abled, would you rather say, Arthritics, Slow Walkers, Wheelchair Users (as my wife is), Amputees, People with neurological issues, etc.?

The idea is Inclusion, not Separation.

I think people who need more space or help using the facility should use these. Why not combine normal male and female toilets together. Afterall we eat at the same table. It would takeaway a lot of needless stress when out en femme (if I ever do).

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Joanne.England View Post
    I think people who need more space or help using the facility should use these. Why not combine normal male and female toilets together. Afterall we eat at the same table. It would takeaway a lot of needless stress when out en femme (if I ever do).
    In many places in France, they do...

Hard to empty and clean a bag in a regular restroom, change your own diaper, and many other things differ-disabled people must attend to if they go out.