Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I HAVE to?

[SIZE=2]
    Not likely. True multiple personality disorder is a very rare thing, and the personalities are usually distinct.

I wonder about this. Granted, according to DSM IV-TR you are correct, but I know i have several personality 'tendencies'. Sometimes they seem to be more prevalent in certain brain states, isn't MPD with true distinction just an exaggeration of this? Who knows.

But i would argue that anyone who thinks there is only one single personality fixed and not comprised of different inputs, has never seen or worked with a person with a deviated corpus callosum, or who has 'alien hand syndrome'. kinda freaky.

I'm just suggesting that while maybe even if there are not distinct personalities- functionally, there could be, or even just using the paradigm may prove useful- as long as it is maintained that the analogy is just a paradigm used to break down the many parallel layers of function of our consciousness.

(The wife is attending a pyscho-pharmaceutical conference today, we were up late last night brushing up on the chemical basics of consciousness... I have to admit- it is pretty cool. I'd love to be able to work in the research end of the field.)

-Kristi

[/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    Do you ever wonder if you HAVE to think about certain things, simply because you crossdress?
    I gave up thinking many years ago and it has helped me tremendously

Thera

KING LEAR 2.4

O, reason not the need: our basest beggars
    Are in the poorest thing superfluous:
    Allow not nature more than nature needs,
    Man's life's as cheap as beast's: thou art a lady;
    If only to go warm were gorgeous,
    Why, nature needs not what thou gorgeous wear'st,
    Which scarcely keeps thee warm. But, for true need,--

You do what you do because.

no u dont

we are all individuals

you owe no one anything

i think the main thing we all want is tolerance for our individuality

Great post Freddy!

You HAVE to live with people, or without them, or with some of them & not others. Because you are only one person, everyone else's experience & expectations are based on everyone else's behavior, not yours. People will notice when you stand out from the crowd, and some of them will be curious about you and ask questions. This is usually a good thing, and communication with other people is a big part of what makes us human.

Of course by "you" I mean "you" and "I" and "we" and "everyone"--Bob Marley & the Rastafarians say "I-&-I" because we are all one. ... and all unique, as you indicate.

Lainie

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever!