Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a job I can dress at!!!

Found a job I can dress at!!!

I just started a new job at Autotrader and I'm able to dress at work. During my interview it was mentioned there was a TG/FTM on the team, so I mentioned a little about myself and they had no problem with it. My first 3 days I wore button up shirts with cami's, dress pants and heels as well as a necklace and bracelet.

Today I jumped in with both feet and wore the following: Black knee length skirt, black 2" heels, nude pantyhose, red button up blouse and black suede jacket. I'm shocked at how accepting everyone is. I'm not treated any differently, no stares or comments and even a few compliments. I've had men and women approach me for conversation when they didn't have to.

I'm a little on the pesimistic side so I'll see how it goes but I must admit I'm so happy being myself here. I really enjoy the feminine business casual look. I'm sure people are talking about me but I understand, it's unusual and people are gonna talk. I'm having an easier time with people then I do in stores or restaurants, probably because this is work and people aren't going to laugh when you walk by or else they'd end up in HR.

I assure you this is for real, I know it's probably hard to believe. I thought about asking someone to take my picture but I thought that would be inappropriate. Maybe after I get to know someone I may ask.

After the interview I realized that Autotrader is owned by Cox Communications. I found the following press release regarding Cox's effort in equality. So that kind of backed up the idea that they truly are cool with this. Here's the press release and link.

http://cox.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=446

Press Releases

Cox Communications Earns Top Marks in 2010 Corporate Equality Index

Cox Graded 100 Percent in Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Eighth Annual Index

ATLANTA – Cox Communications today announced for the second consecutive year that it has earned the top rating of 100 percent in the 2010 Corporate Equality Index (CEI), an annual survey administered by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation. Cox joins the ranks of 305 other major U.S. businesses which get top marks for their treatment of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) employees and consumers.
    The CEI rated 590 businesses in total, evaluating LGBT-related policies and practices including non-discrimination policies, transgender health benefits and domestic partner benefits. Cox’s efforts in ensuring LGBT equality in each of the survey’s main criterion earned it the prestigious 100 percent ranking.

For more information on the 2010 Corporate Equality Index, or to download a free copy of the report, visit www.hrc.org/cei .

Congratulations Missy; that's great news!!

Hugs,
    Jen

Wow. That's pretty awesome.

I know a few people who work for Autotrader on the sales side...they all say it's a great company to work for. I own a car dealership, so I can assure you that this policy of theirs will only help them earn my business.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Awesome
    Nice for you

Congradulations! Now make the most of it and keep us posted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Congratulations on the job. Great that you can dress as you like. So many of us have to hide anything out of the ordinary when at work. That would be a dream of mine I'll just have to live vicariously through you.

Again congratulations.

AnitaH
    I am becoming a butterfly emerging from a cocoon, I am ready to spread my wings, I have found my voice again for I am holding my head high and I am taking my power back.

“It is never too late to become what you might have been.” ~ George Eliot

HTTP://anitafog.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/anitah.fog

WOW! I'm so happy for you, wish more places were like this one.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Very cool I'm really happy for you.
    I did a search and my company is listed too.100% er too, rated 16 woo hoo!
    So if I go back to work after FMLA I will test the gender waters and dress how I choose.
    I have 2 years before retirement so give the guys all something to talk about LOL.

wow... I wish I could go to work as a woman too!

I know these aren't great but I took these at work today. I always imagined wearing this outfit to work. It's awesome being feminine in a corporate environment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paint me green with envy!!! This is great. I am very happy for you
    “You can love someone so much… But you can never love someone as much as you miss them.”
    -John Green, An Abundance of Katherines

Congratsvon finding a job that fits

Ok where do I sign up for a job like this.

Platinum Member
    Hi Missy, That's wonderful I'm so happy for you.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Congratulations, being able to dress at work is a total blessing. I have a new appreciation for companies liky yours. BTW your outfits looks great!

You Go Girl!
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Awesome! I'll definitely try to include autotrader in my next car or bike search or sale.

Too bad you don't do Cessnas. :-(

Too bad i could not afford a Cessna.... :-)

Again, congrats. I have a dozen skirt and pant suits- wish i could wear them to work. Then again, I always look at them as 'fun time' or at least usually, (sometimes i'll get dressed to work at home- so it's not all 'fun time' but it does make the work a bit more pleasant.

Keep us apprised of how this works out please!

-Kristi

All I would say is go with the flow but don't push it.
    You seem to be on to a good gig here.
    Have you met the other girl yet?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

That is so wonderful!

Yes and he is really nice. We spoke about equality and what to expect here and it's pretty much the same as anywhere else. Some will like it, most will go about business and a few may take a double take. I'm wearing a dark brown dress with a light jacket. I have no idea what these jackets are called, it's think like a t-shirt, open in the front and the front sides hang low. I'm rambling, anyway that thing is a charcoal grey. I've also got a bracelet and necklace, oh and maroon lipstick.

So in this job are you dealing with the public in person or are you in a back room somewhere on a computer?
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Very nice to hear that they allow you to dress at your new job.It shouldnt matter how we look as long as were presentable and able to do the job as it needs to be. Id live to find a job were I was able to dress everyday. Only problem then would be Id need a bigger cliset for more business suits. Hehe.
    Renee

[SIZE="3"]I go to work dressed in my job also..........only it's not the way I would like to dress. LOL, hope the new job goes well....just think of all the shopping for new work cloths......you lucky girl!![/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Susan V. Adams

I'm not public facing, I work in the corporate office in Atlanta. So I come in contact with lots of people but not the general public. Yeah I need to hit up the thrift store and find some more business outfits. Enough so that I can mix and match enough to not wear the same outfit twice in a couple weeks.

That's really Awesome! I'm really happy that you have such an awesome job where you can freely dress at. Hope all keeps going well there