Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do we convince SOCIETY...

Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    One person at a times sounds like a great idea, as I stated in another thread my homophobic neighbor gave me a compliment a few days ago, yesterday he said hello & smiled.
    So you going to tell him?? I think he already knows. If he gets angry just tell him you're packing.lol.

Quote Originally Posted by MsArlene View Post
    One person at a times sounds like a great idea, as I stated in another thread my homophobic neighbor gave me a compliment a few days ago, yesterday he said hello & smiled.
    IMHO I think that this constant "we need to educate" the GP ( wouldn't it be nice) is pretty much a pipe dream, but in the meantime.. our best bet is for each of us to work at finding acceptance in our own little individual slice of heaven. I am not saying that we shouldn't try and spread the word, but educating the masses? The thing is ( and here again it's just my opinion) that the people who would be open minded enough try and understand are probably the same people who really wouldn't have an issue with us to begin with, and they aren't the ones that we really need to worry about.
    "one day I'll fly away..... leave all this to yesterday"

http://youtu.be/kR7NlgwVHHg

Quote Originally Posted by kellycan27 View Post
    IMHO I think that this constant "we need to educate" the GP ( wouldn't it be nice) is pretty much a pipe dream, but in the meantime.. our best bet is for each of us to work at finding acceptance in our own little individual slice of heaven. I am not saying that we shouldn't try and spread the word, but educating the masses? The thing is ( and here again it's just my opinion) that the people who would be open minded enough try and understand are probably the same people who really wouldn't have an issue with us to begin with, and they aren't the ones that we really need to worry about.
    I agree. It might be the only way.

Banned Read only
    Give up on trying to change society. Just act in a cordial respectful manner. Don't get in people's faces. You're going to get snickers wearing a dress in public. Cross dressing is not customary behavior. The best one can hope for is acceptance of the individual, who may have a little quirk. Just look around you and you'll see the intolerance for groups who are in much greater numbers than gays, lesbians and cross dressers. I'm sure there are many cross dressers who do not accept other groups based on some bias belief.

A lot of great replies here. Annabelle, I really liked yours because when I first read the thread I thought immediately of the general public and not necessarily of those closest to us. As Kelly says, one person at a time every time we meet someone or someone sees us. One of my beliefs is that we should not let peer pressure limit how each of us decides to express ourselves. That is for each and everyone one of us to decide. People who are more extravagant may have a harder time finding the tolerance and acceptance that they may be looking for and that is their choice.

Going back to the tolerance versus acceptance, I think that we sometimes use those words interchangeably like we use passing and blending. Yes, we will probably get a lot of tolerance before we get a lot of acceptance. I just think that most of us, including those that want to go out and who go out, basically desire be out, be ourselves and not have negative experiences because of how we present ourselves. Just have a good time and not be bothered by others. I believe that it is happening and probably faster than we think. Every little bit helps us, from references in movies, TV shows, news articles, anti-hate crime laws, equal rights regulations and by our actual personal presence out in the real world. Let's go do it people!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    I agree. It might be the only way.
    Then you should put on your best frock and go say.. Hi I am your neighbor Marleena to Mr muscles.

Then you should put on your best frock and go say.. Hi I am your neighbor Marleena to Mr muscles.
    Well Kelly I was feeling so inspired I was going to have a cop pull me over and tell him.

Mr. Muscles is a non issue for me now. I realize his muscle building is a way to hide his inadequacies. He has a hot wife to hide behind too. Besides I've caught him staring at me a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    Well Kelly I was feeling so inspired I was going to have a cop pull me over and tell him.

Mr. Muscles is a non issue for me now. I realize his muscle building is a way to hide his inadequacies. He has a hot wife to hide behind too. Besides I've caught him staring at me a couple of times.
    So.. you're over Mr Muscles then? When I first met Rick I thought he was an arrogant, macho jerk, and I had isuues with the beautiful women that he sometimes showed up with. Truth be told.. I was rejecting him before he had the chance to reject me (not that he'd ever noticed me to begin with). You know what they say.. The best defense is a good offence!

You do know that I am just yankin your chain LMAO

Kel

So.. you're over Mr Muscles then? When I first met Rick I thought he was an arrogant, macho jerk, and I had isuues with the beautiful women that he sometimes showed up with. Truth be told.. I was rejecting him before he had the chance to reject me (not that he'd ever noticed me to begin with). You know what they say.. The best defense is a good offence!

You do know that I am just yankin your chain LMAO

Kel
    Actually I thought about the cop and that wasn't a great idea afterall.lol.

Yes, I know you're playing with me Kelly. Truth is if I'm going to have a man he better be bigger than me.

For me acceptance would be when you no longer have to conform to a certain physical appearance to avoid going through the day with people trying to figure out whether you are a man or woman.

This human need to categorize everything is exhausting to be around when you do not fit into a catagory

The catagory based on skin color, male-female, child-adult, religious-atheist, rich-poor,ect.. the list is endless and we are all guilty of doing it but the problem is as soon as we do it we stop learning about who the person really is because we already assume we know them by the catagory we have placed them in.

Is the Coast clear YET ?

Attachment 188668

Just checking ,,, If it's not Ill just come back !!!
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Sure wish you Lady's would straighten this Mess out so we can get on with it ? I got things to do ,, An places to go ,,, So COME ON already !!!! LOL,,,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by STACY B View Post
    Attachment 188668

Just checking ,,, If it's not Ill just come back !!!
    I'm done, sorry for the derail it's safe to come out now. I'll shutup. lol.

Gold Member
    What is acceptance to me?
    I go as and live as i see fit, people can take it or leave it.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Its not our job too convince society, but to convince ourselves that this lifestyle is not wrong/bad. There is one small letter in society, I. Acceptance begins with you.
    Last edited by Danielle_cder; 10-02-2012 at 04:51 PM.
    the only limit that u set, is the one u set yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Diversity View Post
    For me it will be when I can 'jump in the water and not make a ripple'....
    Di
    Make ripples and lots of them. Can't expect to be accepted without getting out there can you?

I accept myself, others will ether accept me or not. Whatever

Banned Read only
    How do we convince SOCIETY...

to ACCEPT us...

would be a very silly question.

Wouldn't it?

Exactly WHAT is YOUR idea of acceptance? For all of you in the closet wanting OUT, when will you know for sure that "Society" accepts us? At what point will you know it is safe to come out?

Would it be good enough that evey single person within your range of vision SEES and watches you for 2 seconds and then returns to what they were doing? Is that acceptance?

Or do they need to look for 4 seconds?

Or look for 5 seconds, while giving you the double thumbs up with big smile on their face?

Or would you prefer them to immediately stop what they are doing and give you a big round of applause? Am I getting warm? How much applause is enough and how much is too much?

What might it mean if they stand, clap and laugh ALL at the same time? But of course we know SOME people are mind readers here and you WOULD know if they are laughing at you or with you. And we all know one is OK but one is not.

Name just one thing on the planet that everyone "accepts".

There are a LOT of bad drivers out there. Chances are very good, that if you are 40 or over, you have been in some kind of minor or major car accident. Did you stop driving/riding in cars?

Many people do not "accept" Religion. Do some of you let that stop you from going to church every Sunday?

So WHAT will it take?