Thread: Why are you seeing a therapist?

Banned Read only

Why are you seeing a therapist?

When I was reading a new thread and the responses I noticed one of the postings indicated the person was seeing a therapist. It was an outing outside of the home in which the female personna could be shown. I do not wish to appear nosy. However, I am inquisitive. If you are on in your years and have been a cross dresser for many years, if not decades, why are you seeing a therapist?

Decades ago when my wife and I were having that always too familiar conversation about my cross dressing, I did talk to a therapist one night. It was because I felt guilt and shame. It potentially would destroy my marriage. We weathered the storm into Don't Ask, Don't Tell. Now I am at a psychological position in life where I accept who I am. I know I am not a bad person. I can understand a younger person in their teens, twenties and thirties coming to grips with cross dressing, but, an oldster like me?? Hmm.

Would anyone who is in their fifties or sixties want to comment as to why you seek therapy. I really do not mean couples therapy. But, therapy for you the individual.

I guess I'm just perplexed by the conflict presented in the various postings.

Seeking therapy happens for multiple reasons and is not related to age. Those that benefit will do so at any age. One size does not fit all.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Depression. Studies have shown that the best results come as a combination of medication and talk therapy.

When I started individual therapy, the question / theme I had for the therapist was, "How do I take all these good things I've found in cross-dressing and incorporate them into my everyday life?". It wasn't a "gender therapy" question, and I wasn't trying to stop cross-dressing, but I sensed that I should be able to get some of the same effects more of the time, in my everyday life, as the crossdressing had pointed out to me things that I was missing.

Discussions evolved a fair bit from there, because my life is complicated. The sessions evolved into what I started referring to as my "general life therapy"; I am also going to gender therapy.

Just a girl on a trip cyndigurl45's Avatar
    I see a therapist for several reasons first she is able to prescribe my HRT and has a endo employed to monitor my progress, secondly she keeps my head screwed on strait or I would go ballistic on people and finally she's a good friend just to have girl talk without any judgment.

I am not seeing a therapist yet but I am actively seeking one. As I told my wife I don't believe I need to be fixed I am very secure with cross dressing. Lately I have been trying to understand where CDing is taking me. I feel it is a big part of who I am but I have suppressed it all these years and now I want explore who I am without the walls and deffences up. I am really looking forward to the journey of discovering myself.