Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Your one tip for a newbie

Remember that alot of fear is just in your head. The real world in general doesn't care what you do. Use common sense,and a modicum of caution, and enjoy the journey. If someone spots you at the MAC counter they will NOT freak out and start screaming 'that's a man looking at make up!'. Celeste

I have two pieces of advice, both kinda hard to do.

When you buy your first pieces work on building a wardrobe. You can build allot of outfits around a simple black or denim skirt or good pair of black pumps.

The second piece of advice is to try to see what got better each time you dress. Its easy to get caught up up with the final result and only see the flaws and miss the improvements. Its really rare that you get dressed and dont improve on some part of the process but it can be hard to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulette View Post
    Get yourself an air brush make up kit, they have concealers that go on very shear and will cover your beard.
    Now this looks pretty cool!!

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Don't cut corners when buying a wig. A bad wig will get you read real fast! .. buy the best one you can afford and always go to a wig store for a professional fitting, and always try on lots and lots of wigs. I buy my replacements cheaper online, but I never do this when choosing a style for the first time.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

do not buy cheap.

invest- you are past the point of experimentation- take this seriously.

oh yeah- and take five very slow, very deep breaths before making any major decision. you will always make a better decision this way.

love-
    Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    If someone spots you at the MAC counter they will NOT freak out and start screaming 'that's a man looking at make up!'. Celeste
    So true. The last time I was looking for an eyebrow pencil and having a hard time finding one, the SA went a long way out of her way to help me find it. I think she was having as much fun as I was.

Annabelle

Aspiring Member
    Try to avoid the "typical" middle aged spread. I didn't and its caused me untold difficulties in my CD'ing later in life.

Danielle

Aspiring Member
    Do not dare try to put it away and then years later regret it! Times are a bit better now than even 10-20 years ago (acceptance/support). There are so many of us that if we could do it over...but now we can go on at our age, but what a shame we did not when we were younger. Of course many times this stuff takes years to figure out... Amanda

A black pencil skirt is a wonderful piece around which you can build a wardrobe.
    Use a makeup primer. You'll be amazed at how smoothly the rest of your makeup goes on when you do.
    If you use breast form adhesives, be careful removing the forms. Lift gently at the edge, and remove slowly, unless you're into pain and scar tissue.
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

Dress age appropriate, when going out.

Just be yourself and enjoy it!!!

Aspiring Member
    On a different train of thought than previous post... Try the clothes on before you buy! In this economy they really do not care, they just want to sell! Amanda

Banned Read only
    So...

• Leave the hooker-look at home unless you know exactly where you are going and how you are going to get there. Surprises are not good.
    • Don't be concerned with some stylized notion of beauty. Remember, all real women do not look like Halle Berry, Nicole Kidman, Cote de Pablo or Salma Hayak.
    • If you have a partner who tolerates/allows/respects/encourages your CDing, treat them like the gems that they are because gems are very rare. Do everything you can to support their dreams and desires.
    • People key off of our own insecurities. Don't give them an excuse to dismiss or disrespect you.
    • Continue to hold good expectations for all around you. Remember, people tend to live up (or down!) to our expectations.
    • Powerful Words from Audre Lorde:
      • "When I dare to be powerful, to use my strength in the service of my vision, then it becomes less and less important whether I am afraid."
      • "The sharing of joy, whether physical, emotional, psychic, or intellectual, forms a bridge between the sharers which can be the basis for understanding much of what is not shared between them, and lessens the threat of their difference."

great tips lol i cant afford to have pink fog syndrome

You get what you put into your dressing dont skimp on anything it may costs you a few more but will last you alot longer. Be truth full and honest with your s/o. as she can be your bestest friend in life above everything else.
    Renee

This is all such good advice girls. I've learned so much reading through here.

Quote Originally Posted by RenneB View Post
    Stick on forms - goobegone... works great...
    Be very careful!

Goo Gone is good, gentle adhesive remover: http://googone.com/

Another product, "Goof Off," is bad news for forms and skin. It's a graffiti remover that dissolves just about everything: http://www.goofoffstainremover.com/

Unfortunately, they often sit near each other on the store shelves.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I forgot a few areas not to scrimp on

Make up books - Making faces by Kevin Aucoin is a very good one. Saves allot of time.

Tools - Brushes a good mirror ect will last for years and make things allot easier. Its worth spending a bit extra to get good ones. A brush that sheds really does a bad job.

I don't think anyone has said this as yet but my tip would be.......observe. Become a GG people watcher. How they walk, manerisms, carry a handbag, stand, sit, get in and out of a car, how they eat and drink when in public. I'll leave you to finish the list.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Don't worry yourself too much about "Do I pass or not?" Instead of making it a stressful thing, relax! Take the time to do a little mirror gazing, turn around a few times, feel how good a nice form fitting skirt feels. Feel how nice freshly shaved legs feel under cool bedsheets. Everyone worries so much about passing, that they forget to have fun in the moment.

Even if you don't pass, it doesn't mean that your not a beautiful person.

Staci

Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Aspiring Member
    Know who you are and how you wish to present yourself, then find the resources to help you.
    I found a lot of good advise in women's style books ("Looking Terrific" by Emily Cho was my first guide, ther are others that are more up-to-date) or on TV makeover shows. You have to be honest about your assets and liabilities when presenting femme.

It is better to learn from others than to make every mistake yourself.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Meet others like yourself.
    At some point in your life, go to a TG conference like Be All in Chicago, Empire Conference in Albany, NY, Keystone Conference in Harrisburg, Pa., Southern Comfort Conference in Atlanta, Georgia.
    I'm a vet of Keystone Conference and Southern Comfort Conference, and I learned so much about myself, as well as made a ton of friends.

this was great i plan on showing this to my cd. its a lesson good to know...i think.... who knows....im just a GG . lol