Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important are designer labels to you?

How important are designer labels to you?

I admit it, I'm a label junkie. I read In Style, and buy the good stuff. While I too enjoy a great bargain, and in summer have been known to indulge in Old Navy $8 tops, I like to shop the boutiques. Aside from my self confessed addiction to high end purses, I also prefer designer shoes, I'd rather shop Bloomingdales than Ross, silk beats rayon, wool beats poly, etc.
    I'm not rich, but everything I own is paid for, and I'm not taking food out of anybody's mouth, so why not buy the Donna Karan blouse, and Ralph Lauren blazer?
    The fit, quality, and style is better in designer clothing. Yes, there is some snob appeal, but I just like the clothes better. Granted, I'm dressed everyday, so quality is important, and I throw my purse on my car floor ten times a day, a Coach purse will definately last longer than a walmart.
    The stores are full of GG's buying high end fashion, but I rarely hear of one of us on the forum mentioning Prada or buying Fendi.
    I'd like to hear from you girls, are your fashion choices motivated by budget only, and how important are labels to you? If you could, would you shop high end? Do you think labels are worth the extra money or is it snobishness? What's the most you would spend on an outfit? Is a $60 outfit, thoughtfully put together with flair every bit as stylish as a $400 ensemble? Would you buy a $100 bra?
    Thanks- I hope this starts a dialog- Celeste
    P.S. ten designer purses and counting

Labels mean squat to me. Sexy is sexy, regardless of who made it or how much it cost.

I actually prefer no-name and bargain racks, because I don't leave the house en femme and it seems like a waste to pay high dollar or even full price just for around the house. Now if it is something my SO can/will also wear, I might splurge a little.

Some of the designer stuff is quite frumpy....And in many cases it is sewn in another country just like the other stuff. Shoes have to be good and I agree about quality bags standing up far better.The trouble I have with the quality bags is that the price is forever falling...They go from out front to out back so quickly! And not because they are out of style.

I am making T-shirts for women friends that have my personal impression on them. See?

"W-KBN" "means" Well-Known Brand Name.....

I don't care if it is designer or not. If I looks good on me I will buy it.

Not important to me at all, but it is important to some other girls who are judging me on who I'm wearing. I really don't know the brands or the designers. I can't spot a brand on sight and I don't keep up with seasonal fashions but I now that some women will judge me on that fact (if I pass the initial glance to see if I am, indeed, female). I am aware of that fact, but I really don't worry about it. Designer looks are super-chic and I love their cuts and style, but a label means nothing to me and I won't let the fact that I am not wearing a name dictate how I feel about myself. Either way, I couldn't dress with high-end fashion even if I wanted to. I'm far too meager in my means. Plus, I think I'd rather go skydiving.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If you look at the labels a lot of the high end designer styles are made in China or Pakistan,India or Honk Kong.
    To me it tells me they want to save money on their product by out sourcing and still charge the same or higher price.
    Its a rouse IMO. Designer labels don't mean a whole lot.
    The high end purses/shoes yes there is a quality difference.

Banned Read only
    Labels are meaningless. Quality is what matters. Sometimes they coincide, sometimes not. I buy what I like, not what is attached to a label

Platinum Member
    Hi Celeste, Do the ends justify the means to me as long as it looks good on
    me I like it and more than not it's going to work or it's going back tomorrow.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Since all this is part time for me (please do not look in my closet, you would think I was more than full time), I buy on the cheap. Most come from thrift stores with a few items bought new from different stores. When shopping in thrifts, I always give more consideration to name brands, if they are a style, look, color and fabric that I like. Otherwise, I buy what I like where I find it and as long as it has a minimal quality level, I will buy it if I like it. I believe that some higher end brand names do have better quality, but not necessarily in line with the exorbitant prices they charge. If you can get those brands at a greatly discounted price, then the value to cost gets a lot more attractive. One thing regarding expensive shoes, they do not necessarily fit and feel more comfortable. That really depends on each person's feet. Mine are delicate, almost anything can make them hurt, more expensive shoes for me hardly ever resolve that issue. I just need to find shoes that fit almost perfectly, and sometimes I even do!

not really label crazy- i DO love suits from Tahari, Anne Klein, Nine West, dresses from Tahari, Tadashi. Can't afford the big names- but i have 2 demetrios wedding dresses (used) and they are among my favorites.

More important than the label- is how well the item is constructed or lined.

Take my avatar for instance- it's a real uniform, not a cheap costume. Makes a big difference to me- the real thing has heft, fit, solidity. lesser quality items seem to be more '2-dimensional' to me.

But i have a number of light, casual summer items of the wal-mart brand and similar. In this case- casual- it fits appropriately.

If I were hung up on labels, my wardrobe would be a lot smaller! It's actually a challenge for me to hunt for bargains at cRoss Dress for Less, etc and I always zero in on the sale racks at Macy's. I'd love to have some designer outfits but it's hard to when you're shopping on a budget like a working woman. I still smile when I think of the times a woman has said to me, "Those are cute shoes, where did you get them?" and I reply, "Payless!"

I'm poor and destitute, so I shop at the thrift store or ROSS. If there is a designer label at the thrift store the girls working there would take it I'm sure of this. what is a designer label? fill me in please so I know what to look for.

I shop at Neiman Marcus and Saks...I love Prada, Mui Mui, D&G, Donna Karan, Alexander McQueen, etc...I have a great sales woman who helps me at Neiman Marcus with jeans (I can drink wine and shop!)...just bought some Seven for all Mankind and Hudson jeans and a pair of Prada boots there today...my lingerie is mostly italian...Cosabella and Valery are two of my favorites...I have $100 panties...$1,000 boots...and full outfits that maybe $2,000 (lingerie, shoes, wig, dress)...you get what you pay for...the best clothes are made in Italy...

Neimam Marcus and wine that's cool. Do they offer Jager Bombs if so I might shop there.
    Last edited by Davena Doll; 10-08-2012 at 01:44 AM.

I follow labels and shoe brands mainly for the sizing, some tend to run bigger or smaller.
    Not all are consistent

I do have my favorites but if a knock off is cheaper Ill usually go for it.

And I smile when I find a designer label at the thrift store.

If I dressed everyday I think I would much more into high end stuff.

I look for more quality, fit and design than at the name on the label. Unless it is plastered on the item, very few others know what label I'm wearing. I don't need an expensive price tag to feel good about what I'm wearing. I do avoid extremely cheap stuff since it tends to quickly fall apart and often does not wear as well.

Silver Member
    I have a lot of very expensive clothes from top designers and unknowns in my wardrobe. I must have a couple dozen silk blouses, which are my weakness, and a large wardrobe by any woman's standard. So says my neighbor. I buy quality and practicality. I have a few $400 blouses that are truly fine on the other hand a white Westbend Tee works just fine for everyday. I don't buy to impress, but what I think looks good on me. I shop the high end department stores to Marshall's, TJ Max, and every other store I find time to hit. As for bras, I have a wide variety from Maidenform to Wacoal, Chantelle, and a few even more expensive Italian brands. I now buy them for fit. I like beautiful lingerie and am willing to pay for it.

What I don't do is buy because it has a specific label on it. Some of the "designer" stuff is nothing but trash. Ralph Lauren is an example. His top label series is fine clothing. As you go down to the clothes he sells at the outlets the quality goes down. The key to buying great clothes is to shop carefully. Buy great fabric and attention to detail.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I did manage to find a pair of Seven denim capris with the tags still on them at Goodwill for $9.00 in the high dollar section.LOL
    Sure beats $79.00 at Macy's

I don't give a hoot about labels. If I like a product I will only consider the price.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

I have a very difficult time paying for labels. Yes, they may (may) be better made, but the fact is that I'll only wear an item a few times which makes designer labels an extravagance than I cannot afford.

Even items I use every day, like my shoulder bag, are good quality but not "designer."
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Makeup addict!
    Labels mean nothing to me, I just want what I like

I am only conscious of designer labels when buying shoes. I do truly love Manolo Blahnik, Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin, Gucci, Via Spiga, etc. and will pay for them (although never full retail) if I like the design and it fits. That's not to say that I don't also have a lot of "department store" brand shoes in my closet as well, although I've never shopped at Payless. (And I admit that some of their designs are cute and look just fine on other people. I just worry about fit, comfort and durability.)

With other clothing items, my philosophy is generally that if I like how something looks, I will wear it, no matter what its pedigree or country of origin. I do love nice fabrics and well made clothes, so I am often drawn to some of the higher end mall stores (e.g. WHBM or Ann Taylor), but have never bought any real exotic couture stuff.

- Diane

I worry about fit and price - love bargains

JenniferD I can buy a working jeep for that WTF.