Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going Public

Quote Originally Posted by DoorMat View Post
    So for those crossdressers (not transexuals) who dress publicly, why?? Why is it so important that strangers view you as a woman if you identify as a man? Wouldn't this be a little distressing?
    There are basically two different types of CDers: fetish/compulsion-based (sexual or non-sexual) with no internal feminine gender ID component, and CDers who do feel a degree of gender ambiguity, even if they do not identify as TS.

If a CDer does this just for kicks (sexual fetish or non-sexual compulsion) and he otherwise identifies as a solid male then he likely will not feel the need to present publicly as a woman, unless of course he is looking for sex partners, or a part of his fetish/compulsion (and there are many variables to the fetish/compulsion) is to be "seen" by others as a beautiful woman.

My SO falls under the second category and even though most people like him refer to themselves as CDers (as opposed to TS), he identifies as dualgender (or bigender). Others here who are like my SO, in addition to referring themselves still as CDers, may also refer to themselves as "middlepathers", or "Transgenders (TGs)", but they all mean the same thing: a person who does experience a milder form of gender dysphoria than a TS who either must seek sexual reassignment surgery or go insane, as opposed to dressing solely for kicks. I must also add that there are CDs/TGs/dualgenders/bigenders/middlepathers in this category who fear being "found out" so much (thus losing jobs, families, etc), that they satisfy themselves with remaining closeted for many years.

Everyone had different coping mechanisms.

For the benefit of others who may read this, please keep in mind that I'm writing only about the major categories and there are some overlaps. I can't possibly account for every since variance and motive for dressing in one post (which is turning out to be lengthier than I had intended ).

So, back to DM, if there is a degree of internal alignement with the feminine gender, then it makes sense that the person will eventually seek to move beyond a one-dimensional expression of this gender, which is what happens when the expression is limited to appearance only. It's kinda empty to live your life alone in a room expressing who you are. So there develops a need for social interaction as there does for every other human being unless a person is a hermit ... an emotional desire to be seen, heard, and validated, even if a person is bigender and does not want to transition. They will still benefit from interacting with others as a female on occasion and thus relieve their milder gender dysphoria.

Another way to do this would be to present as a totally feminine male (in guy mode with perhaps long hair, maybe long nails, and maybe a shaved body, wearing the pretty clothing that we in our society attach to femaleness and that CDers find attractive, but without attempting to pass as a woman), which is not something that most people in our society are comfortable with ... hence the need to fly under the radar and attempt to present as a woman occasionally, especially if a hetero CDer does not want to be perceived as being gay (which is yet another societal taboo in many areas).

If we lived in a society that did not put constraints on how men choose to present themselves, if it was allowed for men to be "pretty" without any judgment of any kind, I imagine there would be very few CDers of the second category that I mention above and honestly I wonder just how many fetish/compulsive CDers there would be as well, although there would still be people who are sexual or shopping compulsives no matter how they dress.

And come to think of it, I wonder how many transsexuals there would be too, although there are people who do know when they are quite young (and perhaps not so young) that their genitalia does not match who they feel they are inside, and so these people would still seek sexual reassignment surgery.

If you haven't guessed already, the whole business of gender non-conformity is pretty complex and it spans biological, psychological, emotional, sexual, medical, social, cultural, legal, spiritual, moral, and ethical concerns, all to varying degrees.
    Reine

Silver Member
    Wow ReineD, you should get paid for that explanation!
    Here is mine. I crossdress because of that is what I need to express my gender identity! Along that same continuum there are some who don't have that need and others, like myself who do. I order for me to feel fufilled, gender expression wise, going out in public feels right. If men in dresses with 5 o'clock shadows were acceptable I would do that but since US culture doesn't the best way to get what I need is to dress to blend as a GG so I don't suffer the repercussions of the latter. I use caution to reduce the likelyhood of being recognized while dressed. I travel away from home, at hours when places I go to are least busy and quite frankly hope for the best.

OK I seriously contemplate weather I should speak up or not..................

My insight on this matter of, who is and how much, has its own view not particularly conducive to all, lol.

One thing is certain, call it what you want, putting women's attire on is not an option in regular, bloky male's on screen menu!

Clothes of all kind, undies and outer wardrobe, out of women's department are worn to express femaleness.

Stigma associated with others finding out about the secret keeps some in the closet. It isn't because they love their closet so much, are you really buying that argument!?

Any one given the chance of being out will be out, period!

Crossdressing of all kind is the internal need to express self femaleness through image association, that of internal balances with external.

Fetishists however could very well have their expression totally tight into just articles of underwear or intense sexual objectification, and they will never venture outside of territory of the safe house, and that is where their secret stays secret! Or is it merely expression of angst against inability to express femaleness in its entirety, well.....is it?????
    Last edited by Inna; 10-10-2012 at 02:54 PM.

Hi All. Although it could be very personal and private for each in her own way it is still something each of us has to deal with one way or another.I too spent quite a few years trying to regain my sanity and be normal....normal is who I am not what society wants me to be.
    My Wife fortunately are very supportive and understanding and things are just great.
    Going out in public I have done once and passed with flying colours, speaking is a challenge though. I'd like to do it as much and permanent as possible...I am a girl above all so why not ?
    F... the people....we are the people !!!
    What does not kill us makes us stronger !

Fun ,validation or just plain expression of self take your pick im sure youll find most answer one of the above if not all three at the same time.
    Each to there own there too some never do some long to do it and some the thought never crosses their mind to attempt.
    Me personally tried it out few times fully dressed up with my own long hair when i was 16ish late at night just wandering around in the area couldnt tell you even now why i did it,havebt done it to that extent since ,more recently ive took to wearing my bra and small forms as often as possible it just feels normal to have it on duno if thatll make sense to you or not,but ot the extent of full blown waltzing down the street broad daylight unless i get some help from my mom on make up that aint gona happen any time soon as i aint told her that side of me yet.

DoorMat my answer is only about me and from my own experiences. My wife was exatly where you are about 15 years ago. Not only did she not understand why I would want to go out fully dressed but neither did I.

I started out as what ReineD calls a fetish crossdresser as I'm sure most of us here did many many years ago. There is a progression that comes not only with age but also with years of all the different experiences a CD is forced to deal with over time.

Your husband has already mastered the most difficult. Telling you about his crossdressing. As you will read on this site many of the members here still have not mastered that difficult task.

After I matured some and the desire to dress more completely rather than just in lingerie began to develop I bought my first wig and some makeup like so many others do. All those post you read about the fear of anyone thinking my purchases were for me I felt and while it was very scary to do it was still something I was compelled to do if I wanted to look the way I wanted to look. (notice I say look not feel).

I dressed for the mirror, that female staring back at me mimicking all those feminine poses, all the primping and acting seductive was so appealing. It replaced the urgent gratification with a more pleasing and much longer period of Euphoria (Euphoria (semantically opposite of dysphoria) is medically recognized as a mental and emotional condition in which a person experiences intense feelings of well-being, elation, happiness, excitement, and joy.)

I think it's only natural in this progression that I then began to develop a method to refine my appearance to become even more feminine in my reflection so I could not only disguise but then totally hide my normal male self. As any CD can tell you, if you still see your male self looking back at you its not easy to deal with. All the fantasy in the world can't hide that your a guy in a dress untill you reach a point where you no longer recognize your male self in the mirror.

This is where testing the illusion in public starts to take place. For me it was never about trying to look good in drag or going out with other CD's as a group who anyone could tell were a group of CD's. I do however admit that is one of the first and safest methods to be out in public. I just never felt anything in common with other CD's in Gay clubs or with being hit on by men in those enviroments.

With the help of my wife and her acceptance and understanding we started going on weekend trips where she felt safe that no one would know us. The rush and excitement, the fear of someone knowing and the time and expense it took to accomplish these trips made me try even harder to look real. It also over time made her feel much more comfortable and confident being seen with me as just another female friens she was out with.

Now I am out dressed with my wife usually at least once a week and I am very comfortable with the illusion I present.

It VALIDATES that all the time and effort I put into my look and mannerisms is worth it. I am old enough that I don't really get hit but still get noticed by guys that I have no interest in other than to know they are checking out an attractive woman. And like others have said women treat me differently too. That validation brings on the Eurphoria that rushes thru me to the core.

For the past 4 or 5 years now I like you have asked myself why I want to take all the risk I do just to be seen as Kendra in public and I in all honesty can't really answer that question as I have become so accustomed to it the eurphoria I feel is diminnishing just enough that I now have thoughts of when the inevitable wil happen and I am recongized by someone we know and have to explain it all.

I guess my progression is becomming full circle now as I ask myself the same question you are asking

'cause I need to buy food and lumber and panties, and I can't leave the house naked.

I am who I am. Why should I hide? There's nothing wrong with me just the others with narrow minds.

My question to you is Why do you find it wrong for men to wear women's clothing but you don't have a problem slipping into one of his shirts?

This is interesting. Today I was watching the Steve Harvey show. He has this lady on that is showing women how to wear their boyfriend's clothes. I bet he wouldn't have a show on how we can wear our girlfriends clothes. I think I'll e-mail him and suggest that.

I really do not go out much but I do enjoy it when I can. Why?? Well it is very lonely being in the closet. For me I have always wanted to be a girl and it is nice to go out and get a little of that experience. It is very different being in public dressed as a woman. It is a lot of work as well making a masculine body look feminine and I want to enjoy as much of this time as I can. I understand not letting others know ...my family does not, I can go out of town and stay the night and go out with no fear. Well ..... there is always some fear to being transgendered. Just imagine if tomorrow you were told you may not ever again use makeup, wear a skirt, must hide your breasts, wear male attire at all times and wear a beard and short male hairstyles. It would not take long before you were unhappy. I like to make myself look as nice as I can and as a male in male attire I do not think I do.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna612 View Post
    My question to you is Why do you find it wrong for men to wear women's clothing but you don't have a problem slipping into one of his shirts?
    Come on. How about a lifetime of socialization that says it's wrong? First and foremost, wives and girlfriends do not wear mens clothes to cross dress. They wear them, if ever, to cover themselves because they didn't bring or don't have a change of clothes. Women look terrible in a typically fitted man's clothing. You are not making a fair or relevant reference. Oranges and Apples here.

As usual RieneD hit's a home run again. For me, I don't go out, but then I get validation at home, from a loving wife that lets me be me, and treats me as I would love to be treated.
    But as to your last question DM, if it where to stress anyone out being seen as a women, they wouldn't be out there would they? Many here go out, as often as they can, because they can't dress at home and be treated like a lady. Others are just out going people that love to have interactions with others.
    You've been here long enough to know by now, we are a rather harmless crowd, have no desire to hurt our family's, or embarrass our wives, but why should we give up being able to express who we are, just to please everyone else, what about our needs, desires and dreams, don't we have the right to have them, and try to fulfill them when we can.
    I've always done right by my family, paid my bills and seen to it they didn't want for anything if I could help it. What little I've taken over the years in cheap clothes and small amounts of time to express my inter feeling have not deprived any of them, of anything, including me. I've known macho types that spend much more time and money, hunting, golfing, and drinking with the boys, than what I've ever taken. As the saying goes, no harm, no foul!
    Tina B.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Being dual gendered as Reine's husband is I go out in public dressed as a woman sometimes because its how I feel that day.
    Not to deceive anyone or to prove a point its just me expressing my gender identity on that day.It can be confusing to some I know.
    I do dress in womens clothes (casual)every day but obviously a man and have for years its just the way I am wired.
    I don't care for the standard fare in mens clothes I don't like how it looks and feels on me.
    Some guys look great in them I don't.
    I have had problems dealing with my gender identity and tried to squash it and fell into having to prove to myself how macho I was but that is just not me inside.
    Once I accepted myself its been great.
    I know most women can't understand how a guy can even have the urge to swap genders but we aren't hard asses all the time.It doesn't mean we are gay or a pervert or a sexual deviant.
    Stereotyping by genders is one thing that drives me crazy Girls can be tough and guys can be soft its all good.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 10-10-2012 at 05:57 PM.

I go out as a woman over 90% of the time, at least since 2004. I feel that I express the real me when I'm dressed in female attire.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

The short answer is: Being all dressed up with no place to go is a drag. (Pun intended)

I have been dressing and going out in public for nearly 40 years. I consider myself an explorer in a very different world - that of the woman. As others have mentioned, one does get treated differently when presenting as a woman. Experiencing this has been fun for me. I have never had what I would consider a bad experience when out, and have had many great and memorable experiences. For a good portion of my career I lived overseas in a place where going out in public crossdressed simply was not possible. During that time I regularly dressed in the privacy of my home and became bored to tears with that situation. Once I left that job and was living in the USA again I started getting out in public a lot more than I ever had in my life. In fact if I get dressed up now - I am out the door. I don't bother with crossdressing at all if I just intend to sit around the house. I have some inner need to do this that simply cannot be fully explained.
    Phoebe

Aspiring Member
    There have been some great replies to this thread, but I am not sure if they are answering the original question that was asked. As ReineD said, crossdressers can be divided into two basic groups, those who experience a form of gender ambiguity, and those who do not. I prefer the explanation of kendra_gurl who describes it as euphoria versus dysphoria. It is too easy to dismiss the non gender ambiguous group as being fetishists or compulsion based while concentrating on the need to express the inner womanhood of those who experience gender ambiguity in a discussion such as this. However, the original question appeared to be addressed directly to those who suffer no such ambiguity. Why would a man who identifies as a man, want to be seen by strangers as a woman?

This is a difficult question to answer, because of the variety of motivations. For many of these men, dressing has nothing to do with expressing their "inner woman" or being the woman that they feel they are at least in part. Instead, it is often an escape from monotony or a desire to emulate what they admire. As children we used to play games of "let's pretend" where we imagined ourselves in all sorts of roles, non of which we really wanted to be, but which inspired our imagination or seemed momentarily exciting. We still observe this phenonemon in adults who engage in various role playing pursuits such as historical re-enactments, cosplay and the related crossplay, and the various forms of hero worshipping conventions. All of these activities find the participants dressing in costumes that fit the situation they are emulating. For many, crossdressing is simply a form of role playing or let's pretend in the same manner. In some cases, the dressing evolves into an art form, which the participant is constantly trying to improve. Art in most forms equates to self expression. The artist who paints a picture of a beautiful woman is expressing his personal observations about feminine pulchritude, in much the same way as the artist who paints a sunset is expressing his observations of nature's beauty. The crossdresser may simply be an artist who is using his own body as the canvas to express his love and appreciation of female beauty.

Whatever the motivation, it all boils down to expressing something, be it our appreciation of beauty, our admiration of femininity or in the case of the dysphoric, their own inner femininity or womanhood. Dressing in the confines of one's own closet is much like talking to yourself. Expression involves both the one doing the expressing, and those to whom it is being expressed. The artist wants others to see his work, and as an artist, so does the crossdresser. It is only natural that a crossdresser would want to go out in order to add meaning to his activity and feel complete.

Veronica

I have just started to crossdress in public, I do it because I have wanted to go out for a long time and be who I am. I have been ashamed all my life and have stayed in the closet for many years . Crossdressing makes me feel whole. Why should I hide it because society says so?
    I do not go Willy Nilly on everything I do. I won't leave the house dressed and let the neighbors see me because my wife doesn't want that and I respect her wish.

Other than that if someone were to hassle me in public then I say lets get it on and let the chips fall. I don't want to look for trouble but why hide anymore?
    Are you from the USA?
    If so to hide crossdressing for me would feel like to you like you've lived your life without EVER being able to speak up and say, "hey I'm an American" with pride and actually having to hide that part of you like it is dirty and filthy.

What will cause me distress is if I hide my whole life in the closet and don't learn to stand up and be accounted for. I just need to respect my wife's concerns at the same time other wise I wouldn't care 1/2 as much as I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica27 View Post
    It is too easy to dismiss the non gender ambiguous group as being fetishists or compulsion based while concentrating on the need to express the inner womanhood of those who experience gender ambiguity in a discussion such as this.
    Thanks for the explanation of motives following this quote. I did dismiss the non gender ambiguous folks.

... on a fun note, hey people, we have two brand new labels to choose from now!

1. Gender ambiguous (GA)
    2. Non gender ambiguous (NGA)
    Reine

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Darn two more labels to deal with and I still am not sure where I fit in LOL

Uhm...because I want to...yep...that's it, plain and simple...because I want to.
    Preference = Personal Perfection
    Sindee: Naughty by nature, Nice by choice.

I have been going out for many years now, and only because I enjoy wearing feminine clothing. I do NOT pass, (only when MU is applied by pros will I come close) but I thoroughly enjoy going against the grain. I generally go out dressed to the nines, with out the hair and makeup. I will be a very finely dressed man who wears womens clothing. I enjoy people commenting on how well I walk in my heels, or how a skirt makes my legs look good or whatnot. I have had many many conversations about my hobby, and almost all positive. In fact, I cannot honestly remember a negative conversation in over 8 years of this! I feel SA's are more helpful, because I'm not hiding who I'm shopping for, fellow shoppers will look strangely upon me, but then comment about how a dress may look good on me. I enjoy standing out from the crowd. I have gone to malls, grocery shopping, dry cleaners, the home depot, etc. IMO, people have far too much other stuff to worry about other than what me, a total stranger in their world, is wearing. If I make someone smile along the way, because they are seeing something they've never seen before, so be it. I enjoy it, and I will continue to do it. I am married, and my wife is supportive. She will select my clothing for me on days I plan to spend en femme, and accessorize me accordingly. She knows I get a kick out of it. I will not let her come with me if I am not "pretty", but if I have my hair and MU done, then we go out together.

Duchess of Eyeliner Erica2Sweet's Avatar
    I posted this several days ago and it answers your question, so I figure why reword it...

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...t=#post2978307

With regard to going out: Having someone in my life who cared more about what the neighbors thought than how I feel would be a deal breaker for me. That is completely out of harmony with my core value system.

My wife and I have spent a great deal of time out together on dates and going shopping, and we share particularly fond memories of the hours we spent shopping for our wedding, and the Christmas seasons we have shared together. She's even been present on several occasions when I've been hit on by unsuspecting males. She told me moments ago she enjoys those unusual moments that we would have never had the opportunity to share had my femme side been confined to our home all this time.

I speak from experience when I say you honestly don't know what you're missing.
    Last edited by Erica2Sweet; 10-10-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Duchess of Eyeliner Erica2Sweet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    There are basically two different types of CDers: fetish/compulsion-based (sexual or non-sexual) with no internal feminine gender ID component, and CDers who do feel a degree of gender ambiguity, even if they do not identify as TS.

If a CDer does this just for kicks (sexual fetish or non-sexual compulsion) and he otherwise identifies as a solid male then he likely will not feel the need to present publicly as a woman, unless of course he is looking for sex partners, or a part of his fetish/compulsion (and there are many variables to the fetish/compulsion) is to be "seen" by others as a beautiful woman.

My SO falls under the second category and even though most people like him refer to themselves as CDers (as opposed to TS), he identifies as dualgender (or bigender). Others here who are like my SO, in addition to referring themselves still as CDers, may also refer to themselves as "middlepathers", or "Transgenders (TGs)", but they all mean the same thing: a person who does experience a milder form of gender dysphoria than a TS who either must seek sexual reassignment surgery or go insane, as opposed to dressing solely for kicks. I must also add that there are CDs/TGs/dualgenders/bigenders/middlepathers in this category who fear being "found out" so much (thus losing jobs, families, etc), that they satisfy themselves with remaining closeted for many years.

Everyone had different coping mechanisms.

For the benefit of others who may read this, please keep in mind that I'm writing only about the major categories and there are some overlaps. I can't possibly account for every since variance and motive for dressing in one post (which is turning out to be lengthier than I had intended ).

So, back to DM, if there is a degree of internal alignement with the feminine gender, then it makes sense that the person will eventually seek to move beyond a one-dimensional expression of this gender, which is what happens when the expression is limited to appearance only. It's kinda empty to live your life alone in a room expressing who you are. So there develops a need for social interaction as there does for every other human being unless a person is a hermit ... an emotional desire to be seen, heard, and validated, even if a person is bigender and does not want to transition. They will still benefit from interacting with others as a female on occasion and thus relieve their milder gender dysphoria.

Another way to do this would be to present as a totally feminine male (in guy mode with perhaps long hair, maybe long nails, and maybe a shaved body, wearing the pretty clothing that we in our society attach to femaleness and that CDers find attractive, but without attempting to pass as a woman), which is not something that most people in our society are comfortable with ... hence the need to fly under the radar and attempt to present as a woman occasionally, especially if a hetero CDer does not want to be perceived as being gay (which is yet another societal taboo in many areas).

If we lived in a society that did not put constraints on how men choose to present themselves, if it was allowed for men to be "pretty" without any judgment of any kind, I imagine there would be very few CDers of the second category that I mention above and honestly I wonder just how many fetish/compulsive CDers there would be as well, although there would still be people who are sexual or shopping compulsives no matter how they dress.

And come to think of it, I wonder how many transsexuals there would be too, although there are people who do know when they are quite young (and perhaps not so young) that their genitalia does not match who they feel they are inside, and so these people would still seek sexual reassignment surgery.

If you haven't guessed already, the whole business of gender non-conformity is pretty complex and it spans biological, psychological, emotional, sexual, medical, social, cultural, legal, spiritual, moral, and ethical concerns, all to varying degrees.
    Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReineD wrote
    Reine, I fit into both categories, I won't lie.
    First, I have a fetish for frilly little girls dresses (...not sissy maid dresses, mind you, just princess girly girl) . This goes back when my dad owned a children's clothing store when I was n my single digit ages. There was something majestic about these poufy dresses, and I caught on to them. OK , that's that.

My female side is just the other side of me, and I do go out as her. There is no sexual component to this side of me whatsoever. This side is my social side, and as much of my personality as my male side. I also happen to enjoy women's fashion, mainly because men's fashion and the male image doesn't define me really.

When I'm in public, I don't want to be seen as a crossdresser. I want to be seen as a woman, even if it's a transgender woman.

I was kind of frustrated this evening because I went shopping after work as a guy looking for a certain type of sweater, and some other basic every day female clothes for the sheer purpose of going shopping en femme, and blending in amongst other women at the shopping mall. Women's clothes, in general, are so confusing that I need to spend a fair amount of time in the women's department, or any store so I can feel relaxed while shopping, and study the clothes. It's not like walking into the Gap, and grabbing a pair of jeans and a shirt. Something in me makes me nervous when I get read by other women, because women check other women out, and if something's not right in my presentation, and I got a funny look, then in my eyes, I failed......that's just me. I know that 95% of the obstacle in going out in public is our own fears, not other people. Trust me, I have been in the most public and crowded places many times, and never had a problem. So much of it is in my head. In my mind, I think I can pass pretty well in public, but everything has to be in place, otherwise I freak out. My confidence has increased substantially since I gave up the wig a couple of months ago, and now go out in my own hair, and wear less makeup, and did a year's worth of beard removal by laser and electrolysis. Nowadays' it's all about keeping the eyebrows trimmed. When I was in Macy's today in guy mode, hair in a ponytail, I saw myself in the mirrors around the store, and I got kind of scared because it's become plainly obvious that I look like a crossdresser.....in any gender. ....well, that's that.
    Last edited by NathalieX66; 10-10-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Everyone has their reasons.
    For me it is far more healthier to accept myself and go out in life expressing my femininity than to hide in a closet damning myself for being different.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Gold Member
    It is many things to each of us. And it can also be a difficult thing to explain even though you are seeing many words. Because I like to. Because I am me. These are kind of the top level items and there can be more beneath them. I feel that I go out because I just don't want society to tell me what I can and can't do. I grew up a conformist so I could fly under the radar. Crossdressing was something I barely knew anything about. After 20 years in the Army, it started to come out in small ways and then progressed. Once I got to full on dressing with make-up, my curiosity was peaked and I went out for a day in guy mode with a beautiful and good friend that is here. It was a blast and a real eye opener. Since then I have gone out regularly and for the most part, if I need to do something I just go as I am dressed. The exceptions are guy mode for work and for the family that doesn't know. Overall, I have developed the "I don't care" attitude with people. And that isn't entirely true as we all want to be liked. But if a cashier giggles behind my back, that is her problem and not mine and I am certainly not walking away injured.

Ah, the family. And I think this is the tough part with how you are working through this. My wife and my two daughters know and will go out with me. I have always given them the option of me changing if they will be uncomfortable and they have said no. So I have to say that I live somewhat shielded from issues many deal with daily. But you do have to realize what can make anyone uncomfortable. A wife may be afraid that if her husband gets recognized that it will be embarrassing to her. If she goes with him, then maybe by her presence, she makes him easier to spot. So she may already be nervous about her husband going out already, so participating is definitely a non-starter. So it can be tough to understand. We are all different and view things differently. One persons casual indifference is another person's stress point.