Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Pantyhose...Did I hear that right?

Recommended Pantyhose...Did I hear that right?

Five weeks ago I suffered a heart attack and had to have bypass surgery.
    I feel fantastic now. I ignored the symptoms for the last 5 years. I lost 30 pounds already with healty eating and exercise (Do not recommed the open heart surgery to lose the weight).
    Well in Cardiac rehab where they help you to adjust your lifestyles to be more heart healthy, they asked alot of questions about job and lifestyle, eating habbits etc.
    They found out I travel by plane almost evey week.
    They became concerned about blood clots and suggested I wear support hose.
    The Nurse was in her 50's and said she recommended support pantyhose instead of the knee length or the thigh highs. The support will go up the entire leg and they seem to work better and there is better complience to wear them. I thought I was in heaven until she made another sugestion. She also sugessted shaving the legs as the hose would be easier to put on, wear and take off.
    Who knew that if you have open heart surgery you get the OK to shave youe legs and wear pantyhose.
    Steph

Aspiring Member

Stay well

Good luck with the recovery Stephanie.

And yes, pantyhose or tights are often recommended to aid circulation and keep blood from pooling in the legs. I wear them regularly during the winter and I do shave my legs.

Enjoy your new opportunity,
    Sandra1746

I also have a "doctor's prescription" for pantyhose. I had blood clots in my lungs. It was so bad that the doctors in the emergency room were amazed that I was still alive. I've worn pantyhose all day every day since. The sheer ones are the tightest. I also shave my legs. All in all, I'd rather not have the "excuse."

Aspiring Member
    You'd better do as you're told & get those tights on then.
    So sorry to hear about your heart attack though, that's awful. Hope your recovery goes well.
    Last edited by Nichola; 10-17-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Michigan, SE and Michigan Upper Lower Penn./ just under the bridge like a troll
    Wow, the nurse told you to shave also ! I only got told to wear compression leggings or pantyhose because I was getting lumps in the veins of my legs. It would be nice to get upgraded to shaving also. Good luck on your recovery.

Aspiring Member
    "Ezilabith.... I feel the big one com'in on!" (Excuse to wear pantyhose!!!)
    Michellecd9999

Now you Ladys see the light !! YES,,,YES,,,, Do it ,,, An NO FISHNETS !! There not the same ,,,,LOL,,,,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

ALL Ways

The Doctor knows Best !! I wear them all the time an with shorts or capris ,,,LOL,,, Bad Veins ,,,,Bad veins,,,, Before they even get it out there mouth ,,Bad veins ,,,LOL,,,,

Attachment 189730

Check it out !!!Bike riding everyday ,,,LOL,,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

Now! if they only stipulated wearing a bra was mandatory to keep pressure on your chest, and a wig to keep the scalp blood warm, and of course skirts to keep the stockinged legs cool, and gave you prescription to all that, I am sure lots here would wish for a mild heart condition......

I also have leg problems I ware support hose every day and yes my legs are shaved

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Sorry you had to go thru that and I wish you good health from here on out.
    Do like the Dr said and shave those legs hunny.

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    My legs are shaved, but nobody has told me to wear pantyhose! Well, except for my late wife!! But Inna, a doctor did tell me and my dad that I should always wear a bra because I had B cup breasts. He said if I didn't wear a bra they would sag and look bad. I was 9 years old at the time and have worn a bra almost ever since! I am now 80 years old and wear a bra every day!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

Banned Read only
    Mantyhose have been around since June of 09 so I am sure there are probably at least a few competitors by now making pantyhose FOR men. And Compression hosiery have been recommended for frequent fliers with circualtion problems for many years now.

Just one link [of many] for Mantyhose. VVV

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/285278...oms-pantyhose/

The kind of pantyhose your nurse had in mind is not the regular leg wear from women's hosiery, they are graduated compression stocking. In order for them to provide benefit personally I find they have to be 30-40 mmHg.

I love Inna's response. Congrats on your recovery keep it up girl.
    Renee

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    So I guess this means that I am really practicing preventive medicine? Works for me.

Good luck with your recovery. listen to the doctors

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I had a doctor looking at my ankle a couple of months ago, and he said I needed to start wearing light support stockings due to edema. He suggested knee length. Of course, the ones that are meant for clots and such are different (Jobst), and quite costly.

My wife asked what I was going to do, and I told her I would just wear the cheaper compression pantyhose (No Nonsense Smart Support) I already had. Made with Lycra® Leg Care™, Smart Support's graduated compression creates a special massaging action to refresh and invigorate legs.

Now, if I needed firmer support, I would go the Jobst route, as I can't see placing a price limit on my health. Insurance would probably pay part of the cost?
    DonnaT

Yes, You heard her right Pantyhose do a lot more than just make legs look nice. Of coarse, she wasn't talking about the hose that we girls wear but the really thick, high compression, $30 a pair kind. I am also sure she meant under your pants too but hey, if you want to run with her recommendations, I say go for it!

I am glad to hear though that things went well with your surgery and that you are recovering nicely
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Hi Steph

Sorry to hear about your ticker problems. Sounds like you're well on the mend though.

Following an operation on my knee last year, I suffered odoema in my legs and guess what? My doctor recommended support hose too! I was recommended Elbeo Supreme tights - the strongest available in the UK without prescription. I've shaved my legs periodically for the odd time I've been going out dressed but had to shave my legs for the op and found it was far easier to wear them with smooth legs so continued full time for most of this last year. The odoema has reduced significantly so I don't have to wear them all the time now but being CD, at least I have a good excuse..! (and they do feel and look good)

Keep well.

Polly
    On a journey from here to there. Mostly here but sometimes there....

Aspiring Member
    In somewhat different circumstance:

A biker recommended I wear pantyhose under my jeans next time I ride (as I tried to warm up at a road hous after riding through a storm in the mountains).

And in the field, I was told some guys use pantyhose to keep ticks and chiggers off of their legs.

So pantyhose have many virtues, besides making our legs look fabulous!

Wish you a quick recovery Steph....
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 10-19-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Aspiring Member
    Yes, As a hunter, I wear pantyhose a lot when I am in the woods to keep the chiggers and ticks off. It is also another layer of warmth during those cold days. This is the only time my wife knows that I wear them. She does not know I also wear them with a skirt and high heels!
    Michellecd9999

I'm somewhat ticked off that I've told several people at work that i had some checks done last year, and got a clean bill of health! If only I had known!
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

A few years ago I had a knee replaced and as a result I had to wear T.E.D.D. hose. After I was able to get up and about I made a few forays into the world. After a PT session one day (I was wearing the hose and shorts) I went to the grocery store and an older woman confronted me about looking like a big sissy with what I was wearing. Sheeesh! I wasn't even CDing.

It's OK Steph I can shave my legs and wear panty hose without having open heart surgery.

Some time ago I had an operation for prostate cancer and if anything recurs they are prescribing female hormones as part of the treatment.
    I was asked if I was worried about breast development if I had to have the treatment. I said "no".
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Sorry to hear of the heart attack, Steph and glad to hear you're recovering nicely. I'm a bit concerned that you are losing weight with unhealthy speed.

I've had a bit of achiness in my chest that would be easy to ignore, but I've chosen not to with my family history (males often have fatal cardiovascular events, including previous asymtomatic events between 50 and 70 on both sides of the family).

It's interesting you would get a "prescription" to shave your legs and wear pantyhose. I've noticed my lower leg hairs feeling pulled wearing ordinary men's knee socks. Shaving eliminates the sensation.

And BJE, I might very well have told the old biddy that I had been prescribed the hose and told her in no uncertain terms to MYOB.