Thread: Sooooo.... size 8s!!!?

Sooooo.... size 8s!!!?

Oh dear... I had plucked up the courage to buy some jazzy new shoes and the sales assistant asked the obvious question.

How do you respond to that!?

I wanted to say "yes you hadn't my proper size 8.5 so I went with the 8s"

I just mumbled yes and awkwardly paid and walked away...

Should we be made to feel so different?

Banned Read only
    Not sure exactly what an obvious question might be from a shoe salesperson?

Did the salesperson say anything to the effect of "men should not be buying or wearing women's shoes"?

If not, why would you feel bad?

If he or she asked "did you find what you need", you could have simply asked if they had the shoe you were looking at in an 8.5. Payless has 8 or 10 stores in my area and will check online right then and there for you to see if other stores might have the size you need!

You ARE NOT doing anything wrong or illegal, so think of it that way when you are shopping. The job of the SA is to help PEOPLE find and buy stuff. I have had nothing but great experiences not only at Payless but everywhere I shop for shoes.

Aspiring Member
    Yes, I think so. I tried them on and although they were a bit tight, I think that they will stretch the more I wear them. What is your return policy?

Check the look on her face when she answers and meanwhile give her your best smile.

If I was so lucky to wear size 8 1/2 shoes, I would tell everybody. You are very fortunate and buying will get real easy. Ruby

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    " .....the sales assistant asked the obvious question." ?? Sorry for being dumb, but what question would it be that is an "obvious" one? Perhaps "did they fit ok" is the only one I can think of.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby John View Post
    If I was so lucky to wear size 8 1/2 shoes, I would tell everybody. You are very fortunate and buying will get real easy. Ruby
    Don't feel too bad...pippinfort is a U.K. gal, and is likely quoting U.K. shoe sizes here. Her Size 8 or 81/2 would typically translate into the North American equivalent of Size 10.5 or 11.

Follow your dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Don't feel too bad...pippinfort is a U.K. gal, and is likely quoting U.K. shoe sizes here. Her Size 8 or 81/2 would typically translate into the North American equivalent of Size 10.5 or 11.
    Yup I think a few folks missed that point. Size 8 in the UK is not the same as a USA/Canada size 8.

So in context it was like buying a size 10 or 11 high heels and the assistant saying ,"Soooo size 10s hey?" She was almost certainly taking a jab at the customer.

So if it was a jab, feint to the left and swing back with "Yes, but if you had the half sizes I would spend a lot more money here." Remind them, that it is the money that keeps them in business.

This is one area for which the internet has been a godsend. Thank the lord for online shopping!!

Aspiring Member
    I agree with Kerstin & shop online for a percentage of my things too. I go terribly red when assistants realise things are for me, I can't help it.
    Last edited by Nichola; 10-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.

It happened to me in Debenhams at the weekend, Nichola. I found a nice pair of women's bootleg jeans in the sale but it was a regular leg and I wanted long. I had to ask an assistant if they had any long sizes in stock. The guy just looked at me and said "So, is this for you or for someone else?" I must have gone beetroot, so I just thought **** it and said "They're for me". There was a slight pause before he said "okay" with a big smile and went to look. The whole thing was good natured and I cursed myself for blushing!

The obvious question.
    Are they the right size?
    "Yes thank you and they look really snazzy"
    That has been my reply when dressed in drab.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I talk with the sales people like I would anyone, you just need to open up and be yourself. All they want to do is sell you shoes.
    If you look they do sell shoe stretchers too at most shoe stores if they need a little more room to fit.

Platinum Member
    Size 8's ....I don't think I'd feel there was any implicit message in her response. I'm sure lots of ladies have size 8's. Maybe if you wore women's 13s like I do it would elicit a comment.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nichola View Post
    I agree with Kerstin & shop online for a percentage of my things too. I go terribly red when assistants realise things are for me, I can't help it.
    I often buy my shoes on line for the simple reason that few shops carry women's 13s. But I have long since gotten over blushing when I make a purchase en drabbe. Practice makes perfect. And most of the time I now shop en femme, so the SAs haven't any question.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Size 8's ....I don't think I'd feel there was any implicit message in her response. I'm sure lots of ladies have size 8's. Maybe if you wore women's 13s like I do it would elicit a comment.
    True Kim
    They do make 13s so someone wears them lol

Size 8 is large for a woman in the UK but most shops will stock them because it's not uncommon for women to have feet that size. I've got size 10 feet, much harder to find heels in that size lol
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

I had a similar situation a few years ago where a couple of assistants were sniggering at the till. I looked straight at them and said "are those name tags correct?, I think an email to your head office regarding your attitude will be appropriate". Immediately the sniggering stopped and they looked very worried. I didn't send the email but maybe their attitude changed since then, my money is as good as anyone else's. Oh I'm UK8 too lol.

J
    How do I feel about my SO. Chris de Burgh - Forevermore, says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Hi Leslie thank you for pointing out my faux pas. Yes this is UK sizes.

What fantastic responses!! Its soo healthy to share on this forum. I shall certainly be shopping with more confidence next time. I will post a pic of them on other Gallery forum so you can see what all the fuss is about.