Thread: Cyproterone

Little Girl

Cyproterone

Does this stuff give any one else dry mouth and make you pee like a sprinkler?
    "Listen to pickles - she is wise beyond her species." - Krististeph

I have been on it for years now. I have noticed those side effects. It may not agree with you.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

Silver Member
    I was on it for a little over a year I think. I never had any side effects.

But do beware... when it is time for you to stop taking it, the withdrawals are a b****!!! Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to slowly ween off.

Little Girl
    Okay, just wondering. Side effects aren't too bad, but it's kinda weird it makes me pee more than spiro did, which is a diuretic. I had to take spiro too often, like I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my body going "I neeeeeed spirrrooooooooo the testosterone, it burnssssss."

Bree did you have withdraws after your orchi?
    Last edited by pickles; 10-22-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Bree, what withdrawl side effects did you notice?

I stopped taking cypro a couple of months ago, and started taking finasteride. I found that the finasteride seemed to be associated with fatigue for me, but there was so much happening around me that it wasn't really clear. I also went through a spell of increased depression, where things were feeling somewhat hopeless again. I stopped taking the finasteride a couple of weeks ago and my mood has improved -- I'm still sleeping a fair bit but it doesn't feel as much like that "being dragged under" oppressive sleep, and although I'm sure I'm still depressed, I no longer feel hopeless. So, possibly this is related to stopping finasteride -- but with your mention of withdrawl effects from cypro, I'm wondering whether I was instead going through withdrawl from that and am now recovering from that?

For me, the two definite side effects from cypro were (A) much increased stomach acid; and (B) facial hair growth was notably faster and thicker and further down my neck, and a lot of the new hair was white.

There are other things that might have been side effects of cypro. During the summer, I was sweating quite easily (e.g., even just going up two flights of stairs inside), and the sweating would take a while to cool down from; I still seem to have some measure of that but it seems to be diminishing. Also, most body motion that got my heart rate up (especially stairs) would result in my breathing harder than normal afterwards, requiring me to take deeper breaths for a bit until things settled down (but I seemed to be more or less okay while I was doing things.); it is not at clear, though, that this was related to cypro as I still have this, though perhaps less so.

(Last year at some point, I think I reported that I had shortage of breath while I was on spiro, in the time before I went on cypro. And I did, but it was a different shortage of breath, in which I could barely walk a block before feeling like I wasn't getting enough oxygen, feeling like curling up, just like when I get my spells of what a doctor called "winter asthma" but which was possibly a different condition entirely as it did not involve coughing. That was more scary to experience, whereas my present breathing-harder-afterwards is more scary to think about as it could imply heart problems.)

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Okay, just wondering. Side effects aren't too bad, but it's kinda weird it makes me pee more than spiro did, which is a diuretic. I had to take spiro too often, like I'd wake up in the middle of the night with my body going "I neeeeeed spirrrooooooooo the testosterone, it burnssssss."

Bree did you have withdraws after your orchi?
    I stopped before my orchi and I stopped too fast. I had withdrawals.

I also had withdrawals after missing a few doses over a few days before that.

Disoriented, dizzy, nauseous, tired, weak.

I remember having hallucinations from withdrawals, but I think that was Cymbalta. That's even worse...

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bree-asaurus View Post
    I remember having hallucinations from withdrawals, but I think that was Cymbalta. That's even worse...
    If I miss my (evening) dose of cymbalta, I have long strange dreams that night -- to the point where when I have dreams like that I can always think back and say, "Oh yes, I didn't take it."

However, I don't seem to notice other side effects from missing my cymbalta doses.

The only drug I've ever gone through semi-serious "withdrawl" symptoms over was clonazapam, an anti-anxiety drug which is not recommended for more than 4 weeks as otherwise 1/2 of people show withdrawl symptoms. I was on it for a number of years, and stopped it abruptly (not at all recommended!!); see Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome. I had shakes and palpitations and a bit of a fever for about 4 days, and was much better by the 6th day. I gather that I got off pretty easy.

Little Girl
    Yeah Cymbalta can have really awfull side effects from what I've heard.