Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too good at it

Too good at it

Anybody every refrain from dressing in female mode for a Halloween party because people would find you a little too convincing as a girl?

On Halloween several years ago, our office was visited by about 5 costumed employees of a neighboring business. One was a rather petite young man dressed as a girl. Really, a knockout presentation. When the group left, the office was abuzz about him, with many commenting that it was "too good" - "he's done this before" - "this isn't a costume, it's an opportunity" - etc.

I did the Halloween thing once, many years ago. Although I didn't hear any comments from anyone about it, I think I came off as just a bit too good at it for it to be some kind of spur of the moment Halloween costume. My wife was amazed at the makeup job I'd done, too. (This was before she knew about me.) So all in all, it's not something I'd recommend unless you purposely do a bad job on yourself. I've seen other crossdressed guys on Halloween, of course, and most look like longshoremen in drag. It's obviously a costume, kinda hideous, and rather humorous. No one sees them as regular crossdressers.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I would not do it with people I know because of just that - I would be "too good at it". I mean, what normal guy would have a wig, women's shoes that fit, clothes, get the makeup right, etc.

Going out on the town or to a bar with strangers would be different. Hopefully, I would just be a woman in their eyes. If there's any doubt, they would think it was a costume.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Because of my activities from the past people who see me dressed up for the first time are left in no doubt I dress well because I can.
    They still don't know I CD though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Nope....in fact the first time I did it for Halloween (my very first time in public) I went to the extreme of doing my very best to look as feminine as possible. I didn't want to be a caricature of a woman, I wanted everyone to see me as a woman.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

[SIZE="2"]Being "too good at it" and being "too convincing as a girl" are two different things to me. I'm guilty of the former but never the latter.

Many years ago I went to a local party hosted by a work friend that included many work friends. I wasn't even good at it back then: a cheap wig, poor makeup, a men's turtleneck, skirt made out of old pair of jeans, three pairs of hose to cover leg hair and boots (ok, the boots with 4" heels were hot), and I was still considered "too good at it." Decided right then to not go to another work related party dressed.

I'm much, much better "at it" today, and go out every Halloween, but always to the next town over where being "good at it" is generally admired and not fodder for water cooler discussions and snippy comments for many weeks following.

One other thought. When I go out on Halloween these days I'm always wearing a costume. Never just street wear.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Taylor186; 10-30-2012 at 09:00 AM.

Like Cheryl, the first time I dressed for an office party I dressed to pass as I wanted to be seen as a woman. I also won the costume contest and the prize was dinner for two at a very nice restaurant. At the party, which started at 1:00 and was catered by the company, I inadvertently may have embarrassed the Director of Data Processing; he came over to me put his arm around my waist, after passing it across my derriere, then in a low voice he asked if I was new or had I accompanied someone to the party, while sliding his hand up until it rested against my bust. My immediate boss came to my rescue and quickly told him who I was – his hand was quickly removed and in a much louder voice he complimented me on my costume. I still chuckle when I think of that encounter.

I met my wife at a Halloween party and I was dressed enfemme then too, and just recently separated from the Marines; went enfemme to a party while in the Marines the year before. Also went to parties while a police officer. One year I attended a party and the Principal from a local Elementary School was there enfemme, looked darn good too, and we entertained the others with a rather risqué impromptu exchange.
    Babs

This Halloween will be the first time I will be a female-type of costume. I am going with a friend that knows I cd, and her children to do some trick or treating, She has loan me some clothes, and she is doing my makeup. The only bad-tell would be the cheap Halloween wig I grabbed at Walmart. IT is a hideous looking thing, but it will work in lieu of a proper wig. (I am saving up to buy a quality wig). I maybe be outed for walking too well in heals, some mannerisms, and a well coordinated outfit. But I think I maybe using Halloween to be outed. I am tired of dressing this way just at home. This will be my first real time out in public among people, and the jokes can roll off my nicely shaped legs. Whatever happens, I will enjoy it and have no regrets.

Megan
    If i knew then what i know now, i would have stolen my ex wife's clothes. I loved the way she dress

Megan Briana

Gold Member
    I think just sheer repetition will get you too. We have an annual costume contest at work. I noticed last year one guy who was dressed up as a caricature (lousy wig, large bust) but I remember him doing it at least the previous year. Thanks to HR, all the contest pictures for previous years were available and I found that this was his fourth year in a row. I am watching for him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Briana View Post
    This Halloween will be the first time I will be a female-type of costume. I am going with a friend that knows I cd, and her children to do some trick or treating, She has loan me some clothes, and she is doing my makeup. The only bad-tell would be the cheap Halloween wig I grabbed at Walmart. IT is a hideous looking thing, but it will work in lieu of a proper wig. (I am saving up to buy a quality wig). I maybe be outed for walking too well in heals, some mannerisms, and a well coordinated outfit. But I think I maybe using Halloween to be outed. I am tired of dressing this way just at home. This will be my first real time out in public among people, and the jokes can roll off my nicely shaped legs. Whatever happens, I will enjoy it and have no regrets. Megan
    Megan, with your attitude, I'm sure you are going to have a very enjoyable time out with your friends. Having your friend doing your makeup and loaning her clothes is the perfect excuse if you don't want to come out of the closet. Have fun!!! We will be waiting to see how the night goes. Don't forget to take photos.

I get that everytime. Everyone says I walk to good in heels to just doing it once a year. Even if they are only 2". I just tell them you have to walk that way or you will fall off them an I dont want to go to the hospital dressed like this.

Platinum Member
    I've never dressed for Halloween, but not because I feared being too convincing. From the parties I've attended , any time a guy comes dressed as a woman, it kindles some speculation. Mi figured, why invite scrutiny ?

Aspiring Member
    I kinda consider dressing up for Halloween as a special night for tricks, evil ones at that. Not that I don't dress but I generally go as a female character like Cruella DeVille or the Evil Queen turned into a witch from Snow White. The idea is to be a villanous or evil character so that you scare people because Halloween is the Bewitching Night and the next day is All Saints Day. Dressing as a female is what I do every day and I want to be different on Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    From the parties I've attended , any time a guy comes dressed as a woman, it kindles some speculation.
    At the party I went to on Saturday night, there were two guys doing the dress-like-a-girl thing and neither would make me think for half a second that it didn't begin & end on Halloween. Nothing like the hijinks of a bearded guy in a dress to get everyone going.

I did Halloween 3 years in a row during college and yes, I did the best I could which back then wasn't half bad because I had access to a makeup artist (the girl I was dating) and a model's wardrobe (her best friend). Was it too convincing then? Probably but I didn't get any grief for it.

Nowadays I call Halloween "amateur night", not out of disrespect for those who use it as their first foray into going out in public. No, those people are in it to win it and typically do too good of a job. I'm talking about the dudes I saw at the party, true amateurs with nothing to lose in putting together the easiest costume possible. I therefore choose to sit this holiday out.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Just do what I did and put on the witch's hat and grab a broom stick.

Aspiring Member
    I've never had the opportunity. But given one I'd go the full nine yards just to get them wondering. I think I'd do a MAC makeover. I would love it. A friends husband, before he came out as a TS, dressed up as women (once as Cat Woman) and I was told looked wonderful. She said she never suspected anything, even when he shaved his chest. Why can't you be good at makeup and look convincing? I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaErtel View Post
    I've never had the opportunity. But given one I'd go the full nine yards just to get them wondering. I think I'd do a MAC makeover. I would love it. A friends husband, before he came out as a TS, dressed up as women (once as Cat Woman) and I was told looked wonderful. She said she never suspected anything, even when he shaved his chest. Why can't you be good at makeup and look convincing? I say go for it.
    The thing is, there are 364 other days in the year when a MAC makeover can be just as good of an idea.

If I EVER do the Halloween thing again, it will be in some sort of trans environment in a female costume (rather than in costume that is simply "dressed as a female").
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

One time I went dressed in top hat and tails like Liza Minelli in Cabaret.
    It was suggested by a couple of girls that I should have come as Fred Astaire with tap shoes because it would have been great to see a girl impersonate Fred.
    They thought it would be better for a man to do the Liza Minelli thing than a girl doing it.
    Naah! I did not let on.
    It was a great compliment though. I really wanted to hit on one of the girls but again I was satisfied to be hidden.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    On Halloween several years ago, our office was visited by about 5 costumed employees of a neighboring business. One was a rather petite young man dressed as a girl. Really, a knockout presentation. When the group left, the office was abuzz about him, with many commenting that it was "too good" - "he's done this before" - "this isn't a costume, it's an opportunity" - etc.
    Same thing years ago- I really wanted to ask him if he was a CD, but wasn't secure enough, and didn't know him well enough.

Once but I wasn't really dressing then. I was supposed to go to our highschool dance dressed as my (then girlfriend) wife as she was dressed as me (you won't believe me but I used to go to our public high school, in white dress shirts, dress pants / shoes and a baseball cap). Her and a few of her friends made an evening out of it I suppose. Each brought different outfits to try on, experimented with different household objects to use as boobs. After a few hours, it was honestly a good time, I was ready to go out.

I left the building, and started down the path to the nearest road. Someone whistled at me from their balcony. I turned beat red, and ran back inside to change.

Since I started dressing, nope. Don't care if people think I'm a cross dresser, it's the ones that KNOW that matter. Anyway I've been to two dressed as a normal female and one as Sailor Moon. People would talk, and why not? To them it was still just a costume, to me it was so much more.

A few years ago, I had three pretty teenage girls come trick or treating at my door, the one that spoke out was really a boy in a dress, the two girls thought it was great fun when people realized it was a boy, but as i watched them walk away, I wondered if they knew just how much he seemed to like, and fit the role so well, it left me wondering about him, and that was just a fast meeting, much less time at a party to give yourself away. If I want to hide it, I have to stay in a male role, I could never look like I didn't know how to walk in heels, or trying to look uncomfortable trying to sit in a dress.
    I've seen others pull it off, not sure what their reason for choosing a dress for a costume, but I could never get away with it.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

YES! In school, I had a serious day of indecision. My mom wanted to dress me as a woman about 5th grade or so...I really wanted to...however...I thought the other kids would realize how much I liked it, and how natural I walked in heels, and how good I looked as a girl. I would never live it down. I didn't do it and regret it now.
    Twenty years later, I got a makeover for my "Halloween" outfit at my hair cutting shop/salon. A year later I did the same thing. I think they were starting to catch on. There was actually no Halloween party, and my wife was at work...she never knew.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Not much on Halloween dressing but I love all the costume pics people have posted pics of.
    Did a band gig dressed but it wasn't Halloween.

The only reason I wouldn't dress is that I am getting bored with it for a Halloween costume. My friends expect it now and want me to top the year before. That is getting harder and harder
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,