Thread: Losing things

Losing things

Hi, Everyone!

There are some things you don't want to lose: your money, your reputation, your hope, your job, your SO (well, in the case of the last two, maybe sometimes). But there are some things it might be good to lose, and it seems to me that one of them is your inhibitions.

A couple of days ago I went to Dublin--not specifically for shopping. I went for another purpose that required me to be in drab, but of course since I was there I had to do some shopping. There were things I needed.

I was hardly off the train when I was passing by a shop and saw one of the things I was looking for: a nice pair of boots that would be very comfortable for all the walking that I do. So I went in the shop where there was no one but the sales guy. I pointed out the boots I wanted, and since they were a size that might fit me, I sat down and tried them on. They were too small, so he brought me the next size up. I tried them on, and they were good. So I paid him, he put them in a bag for me, he said thanks, I said thanks, and that was it.

Next shop I went into I found a lovely skirt, even though I wasn't really looking for one. But I had to have this one. One problem: I couldn't be sure it would fit. If a skirt has an elastic waistband, I can tell by looking at it if it will fit, so there's no need to try it on. But this one didn't. I thought it would fit, but I wasn't going to buy it without trying it on. So I just went to the changing room and tried it on with nothing but a curtain separating me and the world. It fit perfectly so I took it.

(And it was only €8. Who would argue with that? Turned out the management would. They were having a liquidation sale--70% off everything. So I got it for €2.40. So who would argue with that?)

Next shop: I found some slacks I thought might do me. As much as I hate trousers, it's that time of year when you have to have at least one or two. I found a couple that I thought might do me. That is, I was looking at them the way I've always looked at male jeans: I buy them to fit at the waist. If they're too long--which they always are--I find a seamstress to cut them off and hem them for me. The ones I was looking at looked like they might fit me in the waist, which was all I was hoping for.

So I asked the elderly saleslady where the changing room was. She pointed it out to me, and I went in and tried them on. Wonder of wonders! They not only fit in the waist, but the length was also perfect. First time in my life I've ever bought trousers that actually fit everywhere. I shook my head and said to myself, "I really should be a woman."

Note that in none of these shops did anybody question what I was doing. I was making it quite obvious that I'm "one of those", but nobody cared.

It's great when you lose your inhibitions. You make things a lot easier on yourself. I think this may be the last shopping trip I have in drab. I've lost so many inhibitions already, I might as well lose the rest of them.

Best wishes, Annabelle

and sometimes when you lose something you really find yourself

Thanks Annabelle
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Platinum Member
    It's often said that people hold themselves back and when we finally shed some inhibitions, we set ourselves free. Great story, Annabelle!

WTG Annabelle you did great. Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most.lol.

Of all the things I've lost, losing my virginity was the most fun.

Maith thu, Annabelle!

Thanks to all for your replies and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    WTG Annabelle you did great. Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the most.lol.
    I know what you're saying, Marleena. Sometimes I wonder about mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa Storrs View Post
    Of all the things I've lost, losing my virginity was the most fun.
    Thanks, Vanessa. I didn't think of that one. Don't know how I could have overlooked it.

Speaking of losing my inhibitions, I just had my first outing in this little town I live in. I was up early, got my breakfast, showered and did my makeup. Then I went out for a walk. In our town we have a marina at the end of a long canal that runs into the river. Really nice place for a walk early on a Saturday or Sunday morning. So that's where I went. Of course I was wearing slacks rather than a dress, but you have to blend in, right? And anyway it was cold as h***.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt so free--free of inhibitions and all sorts of nasty things. I met a few people along the way, just said "Good morning" and carried on. I don't think anybody saw anything unnatural about me.

When I got back, I saw that my landlord was out of bed and still at home. So I decided to let him have a look at me. He was going to see me for the first time sooner of later, so why not now? I'd come out to him a couple of days ago and told him I was planning on changing my lifestyle in a big way. He was totally accepting. I've been in his house for eight years so he knows me well. He said he knew I was a good person and he wasn't going to put me out of the house.

So I let him see me. I think he was impressed but embarrassed at the same time. But he said that being happy is the most important thing, and I assured him I was very happy and thanked him for the great friendship that he was showing me.

So whether I'm losing my inhibitions or my mind, I don't know, but it sure does feel good.

Annabelle

Yeah, I lost my virginity too. 36 years later, I found it under the sofa with some cat toys, and an old T.V. guide. Doesn't fit anymore though. Hugs-Celeste

I like that Annabelle, are there any jokes you know about Irish X dressers.
    I enjoyed touring Ireland in 2000 just as everything became peaceful.
    I absolutely loved it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Great thread, Annabelle! It seems to me this thread is more about gaining than losing. You obviously have gained confidence, happiness, and the acceptance of your landlord (not to mention some nice things for your wardrobe). You certainly have gained my respect and admiration.

Als very nice post and a nicer outcome on all fronts

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Beck View Post
    Great thread, Annabelle! It seems to me this thread is more about gaining than losing. You obviously have gained confidence, happiness, and the acceptance of your landlord (not to mention some nice things for your wardrobe). You certainly have gained my respect and admiration.
    Thanks so much, Marilyn. And you're certainly right: I have gained a lot over the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I like that Annabelle, are there any jokes you know about Irish X dressers.
    I don't think I know any crossdresser jokes, but something funny happened to me last weekend. I was out in a nearby town with a few other people. You know how, in drab, you might check to make sure your fly is zipped? Well, that night, I was constantly checking to make sure I actually had my skirt on. It was cold. I'd look down and say to myself, "Yep, it's on. Whew! It'd be a bit embarrassing without that." Then some time later I'd want to check it again, and I'd say, "Look, eejit! You just checked it an hour ago, and it was on, and you haven't taken it off in the meantime. It has to still be on." But I'd check it again just for the sake of my peace of mind. It was cold out that night. I had great fun, though.

Annabelle