Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Laws

North Carolina Laws

I have been wondering what the Laws are in North Carolina on being in public dressed as a girl. I do go out in public and have wondered what the laws are. I can,t seem to find anything on the internet. Thanks.

I'm thinking you could prob. go to jail for a very long time. HAHA J/K... What do you mean laws???? You can dress as a male or female and not have to worry.

Just wondered,, because I,ve heard of crossdressers have been stopped by police and gone through a lot of B*** S*** before being let go. I would hate to have my day out being spoiled by a bad time with the Law.

Quote Originally Posted by irishsissy View Post
    Just wondered,, because I,ve heard of crossdressers have been stopped by police and gone through a lot of B*** S*** before being let go. I would hate to have my day out being spoiled by a bad time with the Law.
    The only time I have heard of cops giving us CD's a hard time is when a CD is in a place like a public park after dusk or a suspicious dark place and the cops think your up to doing tricks or other bad stuff....

Probably depends a lot on where in The Carolina's your talking about. Parts of The State are notoriously conservative, and contain a lot of Fundies. I'm generalizing, but Conservative and Fundamentalist Religious Views don't normally imply tolerance for Trans people. We have had reports in the past about States like Texas, which has similar demographics in some areas; where The Cops seemed to make it their business to harass T-Women and Men in Bars and on routine traffic stops.

Now it's rare that they are enforced, but some states still retain "Masquerading Laws," but like I said they are seldom enforced, just old outdated laws left on The Books. And almost always those laws stipulate that wearing gender-opposite clothing is only felonious "IF used IN THE Commission of A Crime." You ain't committing a crime...probably be OK. Check with Local LGBT Groups about "what's going down."

So, the most important thing? Check local laws, check your local LGBT Center, I'm sure they can give you The Straight Skivvy. Folks at The Centers hear all "The Street Talk." They can tell you if The Cops are going to be a problem.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Oh My, I don,t want to sound dumb or something but what does LGBT stand for ? Thanks

Silver Member
    LGBT - lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT

The only laws applicable to crossdressing are enforced by the Fashion Police.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Launa View Post
    The only time I have heard of cops giving us CD's a hard time is when a CD is in a place like a public park after dusk or a suspicious dark place and the cops think your up to doing tricks or other bad stuff....
    ditto--the only time the cops would bother you is if they thought you were breaking a law---like soliciting prostitution or drunk driving etc--avoid strolling in red light districts and don't drive after drinking and you will be left alone by the cops
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Thank you very much for your input. I really enjoy going out and about everyday and was,nt sure if there was something new I have,nt heard about. Thanks Again

I got pulled over by the highway patrol one time in the mountains of NC while I was fully dressed, wig & makeup, I had to show the officer my license with my male name and photo and he didn't even bat an eye nor did he ask me why I was dressed as a girl...all I got was a warning for driving to fast for conditions

I live in the Hickory NC area and go out in the late evening and early morning to run errands PO, bank, etc....

I Never had an issue. If a police officer sees me he usually just waves and keeps going.

Like others have said above stay out of places where a GG would not go and you'll be OK in NC.

You can get hassled anywhere, New York, Miami, you name it, if you look like you are up to no good.
    Last edited by Andrea Renea; 11-04-2012 at 05:49 AM.

Silver Member
    It is probably not illegal in any way to be out dressed en femme in NC (I don't believe it is illegal by state law anywhere in the US nowadays, but I don't know about localities.) If you think you might be stuck using a women-only bathroom in public, you might want to be aware of the laws there as it can vary from locality to locality. And, as others have said, don't do anything unusual that a GG would not do and you should be ok.

Try contacting one of the trans support groups in your state, as they will probably know what the laws are there.
    Asheville - http://phoenixtgs.weebly.com/
    Charlotte - http://carolinatransgendersociety.com/

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    I heard that there are some odd dressing restrictions on crossdressers in the States like:
    - a crossdresser is not allowed to wear jeans in Pennsylvania, if one does they will be pestered by some chick in a pink Steelers jersey
    - crossdressers are not allowed to wear sexy little black dresses and high heels in most states. Unless of course, if you have the "passing as being an attractive gg" card blessed by the local tg community
    - In North Carolina you are only allowed to dress the way you desire and go where you want

Aspiring Member
    "So-Asheville is the place to go. NO ONE will find you 'strange; odd; gay'. Anything goes in that lovely mountain city."

I agree, I love Ashville. A little bit of Greenwich Village, NY nestled into ultra conservative, fundamental Christians. I've never been there en femme, but I plan on it sometime.

One of the reasons I love the uk is that the law protects us. In fact they go out of their way to help us. In Swansea in a couple of weeks there is an event called sparkle for the LGBT community and it's being paid for by south Wales police...kudos to them.

Hugs

J
    How do I feel about my SO. Chris de Burgh - Forevermore, says it all.

I think the only conversation I've had with a policeman was when fully dressed. I had biked to the top of the totally awesome Ben Franklin bridge wearing a nice Talbots dress and heels. It was a beautiful day and I was enjoying the beautiful view over Philly at the top of the span when I hear a man say behind me "those don't look like biking shoes!". I turned and had a nice conversation with a cop while en femme . I don't know if he read me from behind but he didn't seem surprised at all when I turned and spoke in my normal male voice. He was probably just doing his job checking people out to make sure they aren't thinking about jumping, but still, it was a perfectly nice encounter.

BTW, I think it's against the law in the entire state of PA for a CD to wear women's pants!

Best,
    SS

NC is probably no different than any other state. Larger cities are accepting and very small rural areas less so. Unless alcohol gets involved, and then the drinker is liable to do or say anything against the individual who is a few standard deviations from the "normal," whatever that is. A major medical center in the state was fully supportive of a well known professor on the faculty who completely transitioned.
    Last edited by Laura912; 11-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Silver Member
    I could not find any state statues which prohibit or restrict crossdressing. There are crossdressers who get arrested but the arrests are due to illegal behavor or activities, not their attire.

Examples (you can't make this stuff up):
    CD injecting cement into woman's butt - http://madamenoire.com/93938/ratchet...2%80%99s-butt/
    CD armed robbery - http://www.news9.com/story/17931291/...-armed-robbery
    CD professor prostitution ring - http://www.examiner.com/article/univ...n-online-sting
    Ugly CD indecent exposure - http://weirdnews.about.com/od/weirdp...ss-Dresser.htm

There still may be, however, some local town or county laws still on the books. Hadden Township NJ still allegedly has PL 175-10 for indecent dress or exposure:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to appear in any street or public place in a state of nudity or in a dress not belonging to his sex or in an indecent or lewd dress, or to make any indecent exposure of his person or be guilty of any lewd or indecent act or behavior, or to exhibit, sell or offer to sell any indecent or lewd book, picture or thing, or to exhibit or perform any indecent, immoral or other representation."

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatherdress View Post
    You see this far too much. My daughter was a bank teller and texted me once saying she was just held up. I searched her local news channels for what they had and there was the "Crossdresser holds up bank". Once you read it, he was dressed normally but had a long wig on and shades for a disguise. And no, my daughter doesn't hold that against us.

I live in Viirginia, and I too believe that there are no state wide laws here that prohibit crossdressing. But you still need to be careful. I have heard (and I am sure you have too) stories about police hassling a crossdresser.

Last week there was a news show that said if you're going to a Halloween party, it was illegal for an adult to be in public with any type of mask that would conceal his identity. This is probably aimed at bank robbers from the old days, but could be used against us.

Another law they have here says that it is illegal to create a public disturbance. I seem to remember a case where a group got into a fight with a crossdresser, and the CD was arrested for creating the disturbance.

Regardless, I go out en femme frequently anyway. Just be careful.

If you really want to know the laws related to crossdressing. I suggest contacting the chief of police, commander of the highway patrol or state police, etc. by letter or email and ask your question.

Assuming that the response states that it is not illegal, you can carry it with you in case you need to show it to an officer.

Your elected representatives are another resource. They make the laws. Ask them.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Here in the city where I live if the police get a call saying theres a man dressed as a woman they will respond and will probably issue a municipal citation for disorderly conduct. However if they are not called you can dress any way you want. I have heard of the police stopping CDers and only issueing the proper traffic citation. I've heard of many instances where our police were called and it most always resulted in somebody receiving a fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BillieJoEllen View Post
    .............. I've heard of many instances where our police were called and it most always resulted in somebody receiving a fine.
    The police cannot fine anyone. They can issue a citation or a criminal charge if they believe a law was broken. If you pay a fine, it is an admission of guilt. If you don't believe you have broken a law, you can take your case to court. The court may find you not guilty, in which case there is no fine, or they can find you guilty and fine you or in some cases, put you in jail.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelseaErtel View Post
    "So-Asheville is the place to go. NO ONE will find you 'strange; odd; gay'. Anything goes in that lovely mountain city."

I agree, I love Ashville. A little bit of Greenwich Village, NY nestled into ultra conservative, fundamental Christians. I've never been there en femme, but I plan on it sometime.
    Yes, I have been to Ashville, NC many times, but not in Cding. I too say that about anything goes there.

I have only been there for a few hours at a time, usually for a stop going to or coming back from Anderson, SC. About 10 years ago I worked for a wood manufacture company in Jeffersonville, IN that sent a few us us to Stateville, NC for some specific machine operator training. Myself, wife and daughter went to a fish restaurant, the cashier seated us and we waited and waited. The waitress was asked by the cashier if she would get our order and she said that she would not. No problem...we left and went up the hill to a grocery store and bought a few food items to take back to the hotel. We put everything on the counter and when the cashier rang up everything, she asked what else we had to pay for. We said nothing, paid for everything we had and left...We got bad vibes from Stateville. I have never figured that one out...and will most likley never know...my wife claims that they most likely thought we were Mexicans, but I really do not think that was it. ???

We were there as husband, wife and child, nothing to do with CDing...To me that is a message "do not come here if you are different than us" (probably not very CD friendly area), but I hope I am wrong.
    Last edited by JamieQ; 11-05-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Additional info left off

The problem is not the Police but a homo/transphobe named Bubba what has just finished his second six pack of Budweiser and is about to show is redneck friends how macho he is. Seriously that is the real problem in redneck areas. It is best to stay out of redneck areas.
    You will become stronger in the ways of the Pink Fog. May the Pink Fog guide you and be with you now and forever.