Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking more natural

Looking more natural

I was looking at some women and wondering how we could look more like natural women ourselves while en femme. One thing I noticed is that with makeup, less is more, so I think one goal would be to use makeup in a way where it looks like we are using little to none as women are naturally beautiful and the makeup mostly serves as an enhancement. Any other ideas or suggestions concerning this?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I think if you look at GGs's faces, much of the time they are smiling. They will usually smile and say hello if they pass you on the street. Guys don't do that. They have a serious expression on their face. GGs show their teeth. Guys don't.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

I agree ,,I like to show my teeth too ,, Always when I smile ,,,, No matter what I am wearing ,,It's a Girl thang ,,,LOL,,,,
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

I think the most important part of the face when it comes to make up is the eyes.
    A little eye liner and eye shadow applied in the right way is the key to a feminine look.

Next are the eyebrows. If you can thin and shape them [not difficult] then again, it makes all the difference.

The other very important item is the hair [wig] and so many of us think we will look sexy and cute with long flowing hair when all we need is the right hair for us. Sometimes just shoulder length or less and framing our face is all we need.

Have fun and stay gorgeous Kate,

SUZY
    Last edited by suzy1; 11-06-2012 at 07:36 AM.

I always find a nice smile is the most disarming thing you can use.
    A light touch of makeup is helpful if you have the face for it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    I do agree that less is more...to a point. None is not more than some. But often CDrs get a little heavy handed with makeup. Subtlety with make up is a matter of practice.

Of course, its not all about the face. Appropriate foundations are a must if one wants to achieve something resembling a feminine shape. I also think that one needs to size breast forms to complement one's stature....and resist the DDD temptation unless you're really a big girl.

Another suggestion - in my view at least - and for people my age (very very late 40s we look more natural if we choose outfits that are age and situation appropriate. I like to watch what women are wearing wherever I am, make mental notes and try to fit in when I'm dressed. Of course, I always take cues from my wife...whatever she wears in a situation is a reliable guide to what will blend in.

As for teeth...I wish I had a pretty smile, but I don't. So, while I agree with Linda on this, I can't put it into practice. When I smile, I look like a circus geek!

Funny, I asked myself the same exact question when I was out last Friday in my own quest to be more natural and find that inner grace that might go further to disarm others from reading me as anything but just another woman out & about.

Makeup, less is truly more. But there is so much more that goes into being a natural as a female. Unfortunately, much of what many in our community does to enhance a feminine presentation is counterproductive to being "natural".

Wig, not natural.

Breast forms, not natural.

Padding about the tush & hips, not natural.

And the worst of all, having innate masculine mannerisms & gait.

None of these things even speak to the fact that we often overdress (not natural) and have other traits that simply cannot be overcome (size, frame, etc).

Any combination of these things I speak of inflict each of us in some way. You might be lucky and only have to compensate for one of them while others might have to contend with all of them. This is not an easy lot that we've drawn, is it?
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Less is indeed more

You are right about makeup. It really takes a lot of practice--at least it did for me. And of course, we have the added problem of hiding that underlying beard. I've seen a lot of tricks over the years--use red or orange lipstick under makeup to counteract the blue tone of most beards, use beard covers or specialty makeup like Dermablend. They all work to a degree.

The point about clothing is also right on. If you're not a teenager, you shouldn't dress like one. Some GGs do that, and even they look bad when they try too hard to look much younger than they are.

I too think about this a lot. If I could change my features, there are a lot that I would change.
    As we speak about feminine manerisms, I wonder how many are natural, and how many are learned starting as children.
    One of the things I miss (regret???) is that I was not able to grow up a girl, and now am in a struggle to learn to be a woman.
    Stephanie

Well, I shall speak from extensive experience on makeup technique. Appearance of less is more is truly the key, however, do not misunderstand word LESS isnt describing actually less, but that which is invisible, toned to the face!!!!!

Colors are out, and this seems like OMG for a crossdresser, "No Blue and Green" exactly, just shades of your own skin tonality.

I refer to TG makeup as camouflage, which it really is. Shading areas of the face to achieve shadow versus light, plumpness versus depression.

No one does it better then DragQueens for shading, except their color galore pallet isn't exactly there for looking like a GG, but to make a satirical reference to womans appearance, I do not suggest such approach.

I am a transition life-coach and teach makeup besides other things, I may one day post a vid on makeup specific to TG community. It is hard to find a good vid as most go fo the evening, club look, way heavy and mostly for 1% of the most passing within the community.

Also it is extremely tough to have one specific way of makeup application because of so many different face structures.
    I do one on one, and could not teach a successfully if just through one video.
    Last edited by Inna; 11-06-2012 at 10:14 AM.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Inna View Post

I am a transition life-coach and teach makeup besides other things, I may one day post a vid on makeup specific to TG community. It is hard to find a good vid as most go fo the evening, club look, way heavy and mostly for 1% of the most passing within the community.
    You're absolutely right. Daytime makeup, which is what I mostly strive for, has to be toned down. I would love to see that vid...looking forward to it!

Kate, unfortunately for some it takes a lot of makeup to cover the beard cover. Beyond that I agree with it all, oh, that and don't over dress for where your at, and the time of day tour out there.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

I am far from looking natural. A few friends gave me some great advice on some of the things that I should look into changing to get a more natural look. Look more my age than trying to push for a 20ish look. To be totally honest, I would like to achieve this look so I can go out more BUT I love my 5=6" heels and short skirts for around the house
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    Kate, unfortunately for some it takes a lot of makeup to cover the beard cover. Beyond that I agree with it all, oh, that and don't over dress for where your at, and the time of day tour out there.
    I know Tina, I got a lot of experience with this when I was cross-crossdressing as Eric with my persona Ericka as a transgender male. I had to make it appear as if I had no beard shadow but was attempting to make it look as if I were a girl attempting to dress en homme. Takes some technique to say the least.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Makeup, less is truly more. But there is so much more that goes into being a natural as a female. Unfortunately, much of what many in our community does to enhance a feminine presentation is counterproductive to being "natural".

Wig, not natural.
    Breast forms, not natural.
    Padding about the tush & hips, not natural.
    And the worst of all, having innate masculine mannerisms & gait.
    None of these things even speak to the fact that we often overdress (not natural) and have other traits that simply cannot be overcome (size, frame, etc).
    Any combination of these things I speak of inflict each of us in some way. You might be lucky and only have to compensate for one of them while others might have to contend with all of them. This is not an easy lot that we've drawn, is it?
    Good points Sara, but I think it is a matter of degree.

Halloween wigs, big 'model' style pageant hair, wigs with bad hairlines, hair color that doesn't compliment skin tone are all in a category of their own. Not to mention many men who have spent their lives with short hair (or shaved heads) have no inkling how to style the wig. On the other hand, a natural wig doesn't look like one and lots of women need them. Not to mention all of the celebrities that use them, both on and off screen.

Breast forms fall into the same category. We're often guilty of too big, too round, too high. Combine that with our larger shoulders and top-heavy is a major give away shape. I started with 40Cs and when I lost weight to fit a 38 band, I dropped to a B cup form (so, 2 cup sizes less in volume). I love having the smaller boobs and they are much more complimentary. At Disney World, I didn't even wear the full forms, just some cutlets and it was fine.

I've never worn butt or hip pads. I know some of my girlfriend's clients do, but that's not something on my agenda, even if I do have a flat ass.

So yeah, some things I can't control (height - now less of an issue, feet size - grrrr, lack of natural hair, etc) but at least I can try my best at the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    Yeah, this is a bitch. So many women get by with a light cover, or just powder. Even on such a close shave that I draw blood and feel like i had a fight with a cheese grater, I need to use concealer and full foundation, but I do love the mineral powders.
    —Mikaela

For me... beard cover is the biggy! I need a ton of make-up! Though it is getting more white now, so maybe there is hope in the future!
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    For me... beard cover is the biggy! I need a ton of make-up! Though it is getting more white now, so maybe there is hope in the future!
    I am very fortunate in that respect at least. As a natural dishwater blonde, I have been blessed with very light facial hair and even lighter and less on my arms, chest and legs. I don't have to worry much about concealer as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    I think the most important part of the face when it comes to make up is the eyes.
    A little eye liner and eye shadow applied in the right way is the key to a feminine look.
    I have to agree that the eyes are very important. One thing I do every time I go out now is use false eyelashes. If you pick the right style that just increases your natural eye lashes without looking over the top, apply them very carefully to blend in with your own, and then put a little mascara on them, they make your eyes look tremendously more female. Just this one thing and a little makeup added can really be a good daytime look.
    Sally

Unfortunately, I lost my shoulder and height trimmers. When I find them I will be able to look more like a natural woman....
    Keep going, Kate. You look great! On a serious note, I agree with you that using light makeup as an accent is the way to go and giving our skin a soft and smooth appearance is essential. Eye makeup is, in my opinion, the most important feature and must be done correctly (not over zealously). The right style and color of wig is also a must, and I believe the style should be in keeping with our age.
    Di

A lot of it is the luck of the draw - some of us are blessed with skin and body shapes that are easier to feminize...I agree that less is more with makeup, one trick someone taught me is to blend a little red lipstick over your "mustache and goatee" area BEFORE you put on your foundation (I know, it sounds crazy, but it really does make your beard disappear so you need very little makeup over it) and I also agree that smaller is better in the boobs department, and that wearing what women about your age in similar situations wear is important, which sadly means no nylons most of the time!

I'm sooo glad that my Lappland heritage manifested itself with- Almost no beard, if I don't shave I get white peach fuzz. I shave my legs bi monthly and my arms in spring. Where it failed me- no eyebrows. I have to draw them on (I use Sephora's stencils. Perfect symetrical eyebrows every time.) Speaking of natural, I used to use perky forms, with quite alot of projection. When I turned 50, my fitter showed me Camp supersoft forms, that actually sag a bit, to mimic older breasts. Who'd have thought I'd buy saggy boobs? They are very real looking. As I got older, the heels got lower (flats before 5 p.m.), the waistbands a little higher (love my skinnies, but not going to show any butt cleavage), and my make up more muted (tho' the SA at clinique told me it's perfectly OK to wear red lipstick over 50). The big drawback of being over 50- No miniskirts. Shortest thing I can wear is a short sweater dress (just above knees) with leggings. I grew out my own hair, cause I never thought my wigs looked natural. I think I appear much more 'natural' than I did in my twenties, when my skirts were too short, and my tops too shear, and my heels too high, even for a similar age GG. Trying to age gracefully-Celeste

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Wink I agree, Kate. Less is more. More or less!

In my case, it doesn't matter if I dab a little lipstick on the pig. Or, trowel it on!

It's still a tired, old, male pig looking out of my mirror.

When I can, I simply switch to Sherry mode.

No makeup necessary and her pretty face is on in 10 seconds flat!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by tgirlceleste View Post
    ........................ When I turned 50, my fitter showed me Camp supersoft forms, that actually sag a bit, to mimic older breasts. Who'd have thought I'd buy saggy boobs? They are very real looking. ..........
    I did a web search on those and found nothing. Do you have a link or another name for them? I need "granny boobs" as well.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Of course as a Green Lantern, I can always use my power ring to look more natural but that would be cheating and Hal Jordan doesn't use his to look more masculine.

Quote Originally Posted by linda allen View Post
    I did a web search on those and found nothing. Do you have a link or another name for them? I need "granny boobs" as well.
    Linda- I looked on the box 'Camp naturalwear harmony triangles'. They're not 'granny boobs' they just settle in an underwire bra more like mature boobs. If you lay one flat on a table, it sprawls out. Unfortunately, I had never noticed how much I paid for them $358 each! Next time I'll ask. They are the most realistic ones I own, although Amoenas are easy to find, and very soft, at just about any lingerie store, and can be had for about $500. Hope this helps-Celeste