Thread: P.O. Box?

P.O. Box?

Hi! I'm in a bit of a situation atm in which I now have the funds needed to go out and buy things online but no way to have it delivered to my house. I've come to the conclusion that it's likely the best thing for me to do to get this stuff is to get a P.O. Box. I understand the standard idea of one but I kind of need a bit more information regarding it. Like how big would one of them be, and what would happen if you ordered a large package to your box but it doesn't fit inside? What would happen to said package? Is there any way that I can choose a bigger lock box? How much would such a thing cost?

Also I'm still living with my parents so in the case that the P.O. Box idea fails or gets too complicated what do you think the likelihood is that I could just order it to my house and then lie and say it'd be something else without getting caught?

I had a PO Box for awhile. Not for cd stuff, but as a way to get mail delivered securely. Anywho, it works great EXCEPT Fedex and UPS won't deliver to a PO Box. Might not be great for shipments.
    Hugs
    Stephanie

Silver Member
    Don't get a US Post Office mail box. Go to a local UPS Store and rent one. It has a street address and they will receive packages from any carrier. Get the smallest box they rent. They store the packages in the back. I've never used one, but drop off returns all the time at them. Not sure if FedEx has boxes. You can also change the drop off for both carriers. Post Office doesn't have the flexabilities that the two shippers do.

You can rent a box at an independent box store also. But if you want to return something some don't give you a receipt for tracking that it was returned.

Banned Read only
    Generally, if you receive a parcel that is too large for the postal box, then a notification is left in the box. Then you have to go to the counter and retrieve the parcel in normal business hours. Therefore, you can get the smallest box. You cannot get other types of deliveries at the post office (Fedex, United Parcel).

You can get a box at places such as the UPS Store. One advantage is they have a street address rather than a PO Box. UPS and FedEx do not deliver to PO Boxes. If your package is too large for the size of mail box, a notice is placed in it to let you know you have a package. I have the smallest mail box at an UPS Store. Envelopes and magazines fit, but everything else is too big. I pay $20 a month to rent the mail box. I recommend one of these types of mail boxes over a USPS PO Box.

- You can select from various size boxes. Obviously the bigger the box, the more it costs.
    - If something does not fit in it, they will leave a slip in it saying to pick up the box at the counter. Be prepared to show ID.
    - I've been told if you receive "too many" big boxes, you will be forced to upgrade to a bigger box.
    - As mentioned above, lots of places will not deliver to a PO Box. Instead, look for a UPS Store. There you can get a "real" address that anyone will deliver too.
    - And be careful, sometimes when the USPS needs to get hold of you (i.e. mailbox renewal time) they will send a letter to your address on file.
    - As for sending stuff to your house, as long as you order from a shop that sells both men's and women's clothes (Macys, Target, Kohls, Amazon, Old Navy, Banana Republic), I think you'd be fine. The stuff from VSC (Victoria's Secret Catalog), Frederick's, or Maidenform might be a little harder to explain........

My two cents.

Edit: (Wow! 4 replies in less than two minutes!)

Usually the Post Office has several very large boxes which nobody owns. When you get a package, they put the key to one of these boxes in your box and put your package in one of the larger boxes.

One thing I've found interesting is that anything that has your PO Box in the address will be delivered to your box, even if the Post Office has never heard the name in the address before. I get stuff with names of people I've never heard of in my box. So, I could order something as Deedee and have it delivered to my box, even though it is not in Deedee's name. I think I pay around $120 a year; not sure. I just pay whatever they charge me once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post

Also I'm still living with my parents so in the case that the P.O. Box idea fails or gets too complicated what do you think the likelihood is that I could just order it to my house and then lie and say it'd be something else without getting caught?
    OK, I get the don't want it delivered to your house part. What I don't get is WHY you think lying to your parents is better than just having delivered to YOU. Do your parents open your mail? If so then your lying to your parents who have no respect for your privacy seems a wash and it explains why you see the moral low road as an option
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Miriam
    Look for a private mailer that's convenient in your area. As Liz and Melissa have noted, they can be much more flexible in terms of addressing and package size, signing for just about anything. I used one a few years ago as I prepared to move to a new home, and received packages ranging from small personal items to a 42" TV - all with a cheerful smile and no questions asked. Rates are typically very competitive with the post office.

Good luck.

Miriam

Quote Originally Posted by Deedee Skyblue View Post
    ...So, I could order something as Deedee and have it delivered to my box, even though it is not in Deedee's name.
    Unless it is too large for the box, in which case they might possibly ask for ID at the desk. check the regulations before ordering something with an alias.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Carbon-based Member eileendover's Avatar
    I also have a UPS mailbox, and it works out great, as the others have mentioned.

As a follow-up, I have a credit card that I use exclusively for my CD purchases, and when I first obtained the card, I went on-line and changed my credit card address to my UPS mailbox address. Some companies will send catalogs to your credit card billing address instead of to your shipping address.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    I've had a P.O. box for about twenty years. Over the years my fem self gets mail, as well as my male self. Neither of the names are the same, first or last name. I added the fem name to the P.O. box, so there is no problem getting mail for either of us; which is only picked up me in drab. Like was mentioned, if you get a package that is too big, they will either put it in another box with a key or put a card in the box to pick up the item at the counter.
    Dana Ryan

As far as the post office is concerned the correct address is on the parcel if it is not returned.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Get the smallest Box offered...they are the cheapest. If a box comes they just hold off to the side in back until you come to claim it and they put a notice in the box you rented that it's there. No problem at all.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Emily, i get all my mail at a p.o box, since there is no home delivery in the rural town i live, anyway they just leave you a card telling you have a package, and you pick it up while there with no troubles. take care hugs girl
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

I am retired from the US Postal service, so know quite about PO boxes, I also have one for anything I do not want to get at home. you only need smallest size box offered. I believe the fee is $36 per year. its is true that fed X and UPS will not deliver toa PO box. Huggzz Jean Marie

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Any reason why you can't go to a store and just buy what you need?

I have a PO Box, and it works just fine. Get the smallest one that they have because it's a lot cheaper. As everyone has said, you get a notice in a box if the package doesn't fit. Then you have to go to the window to pick it up.

My post office does have a service where you can use their street address for deliveries from UPS, FedEx or other private carriers. I'm not sure if this service is available everywhere.

Kohls somehow managed to ship FedEx to my PO box, even without knowing the street address.

The UPS Mail Boxes are much more expensive, like $20 per month vs $60 semiannually for PO boxes.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Some companies won't ship to a P.O. box. I'd go with the UPS Store.

The UPS store is great for this kind of thing but it depends on what your budget is. Just find the most convenient UPS store and give them a call. At my local UPS store they will charge you for receiving packages unless you get a full size box. Otherwise, I would have gone for the smallest box too. That might still workout for you. That will depend on how frequently you want to use it.

Good luck.

P.O. box VS PMB - There is a difference

P.O. box VS PMB - There is a difference. If you have the budget for it a box at the UPS store is a great idea. A UPS store has a PMB (Personal Mail Box) where a post office has a P.O. (Post Office) box. Different rules, UPS will take almost anything delivered and can sign for it on your behalf, or ship most items. Many companies specify they will not ship to a P.O. box, but a PMB is an actual street address. Some use it for credit cards, etc. You can add your fem name to the box if you want and they will also sign for Emily's packages. Some even pick their fem name to match their real initials so they can get a credit card with the initials on it for shopping. Kevin Brown could be Karen Brown but the initials on the card might be K Brown. They can keep all Karens purchases on this card and use it whenever shopping online or in fem. If they ask for a drivers license you may need to smile and act normal but it works out well.

Google PMB VS PO box and read up a little. Here is a quick google result.

http://entrepreneurs.about.com/od/be...atemailbox.htm