Thread: Woohoo, I did it!

Escaping from the closet Carla Stevens's Avatar

Woohoo, I did it!

Did what? I hear you say.
    Long post alert.
    I've not been an active member of the forum for 6 months, so bear with me whilst I re-cap a little.
    I'm still in the closet to friends, family, neighbours etc & my dressing has always been limited to dressing at home & even this was & still is limited by the fact that I live with my retired father who doesn't know about Carla.
    12 months ago tomorrow I decided to make a small step & visited Dee Selecta, a CD'ing shop in Bolton.
    I went in guy mode to suss the place out. Dee made me feel at ease, so I decided to book a make-up lesson for the following Saturday.
    This was the first time I had dressed infront of anyone.
    Since then I've visited Dee's fairly regularly over the winter of 2011/2012 & this gave me a chance to relax & dress for more than a hastily grabbed half hour or so at home.
    In February this year I combined a mid-week visit to Dee's with an evening at Manchester Concord, a support group that meets in the Gay Village area of Manchester. It was my next stepping stone to getting out & about, especially as a couple of the regular girls persuaded me to head out around some bars.
    I repeated this again in the middle of May & this was my last chance to dress for 6 months.
    Late spring through to mid-November is a busy time at work, so I don't have the time or energy to dress.

Anyways, now to the point. What did I do?
    I finally managed to pluck up the courage to head out into the general population as Carla.
    It took some planning, but I'd decided to combine another mid-week visit to Dee's, a visit to Manchester Concord, an overnight stay in a hotel on Canal Street & a shopping trip around Manchester all whilst dressed.
    I got dressed at Dee's, spent the day there then drove into town, parked up & walked to the hotel.
    I was nervous checking in, but the receptionist wasn't fazed, she'd probably seen it all before.
    After a quick change into some heels I headed to Villaggio's to grab something to eat with some of the regular girls, then headed upstairs to the meeting.
    A few of us then headed out to hit some bars & I was going to make the most of it as I didn't have to worry about getting changed back into guy clothes & heading home.
    Let's just say that I certainly made a night of it as I didn't get back to my room until 1 am.
    Next morning after breakfast I got dressed & did my make-up again & checked out of the hotel.
    I was a little nervous walking back to the carpark, as it was now broad daylight, but nobody batted an eylid.
    I chucked my luggage into the car then headed off on foot to walk into the shopping area.
    I couldn't believe I was doing it, but it felt great.
    I was jut another girl in the crowd. Everone was in ther own little worlds & those that looked at me just saw another girl out shopping. What a feeling.
    I even walked right through a group of workmen on a break, right through their line of sight. Woohoo. If I can manage that I must be 'blending in' fairly well.
    Wandering around inside the Arndale Centre was a little warm as I'd wrapped up well as it was cold outside, so I had to head outside to cool down. The only downside was that the strong winds kept blowing my hair into my face.
    I bought a few items of clothing from Primark. The checkout girl sussed me as soon as I opened my mouth as I can't do a convincing femme voice, so stuck with my guy voice.
    I had a good wander around Debenhams, but decided that all the stuff I liked was far too expensive. Wandering around & mingling in close proximity to other customers was interesting & nobody seemed to give me a second look.
    Occasionally I'd get a glimps of myself in a mirror. Very odd feeling. There's me out in a shop, dressed.
    I decided to have a coffee in Costa & again used my guy voice. The guy serving me didn't batt an eylid & was polite.
    Rather than sit in a corner & 'hide behind a pot plant', I decided to plonk myself down right in the middle of all the other customers.
    If anyone did suss me, I didn't notice as there were no long stares or confused looks.
    My dress style is pretty much casual everyday anyway & I certainly think this helped me to 'blend in' along with understated everyday make-up.

Now in the past, I've read other peoples accounts on the forum of getting out & about & thought I'd never do it myself. I didn't believe that you could move through the streets & crowds unseen, but now I believe. It's fantastic.
    The support from reading other girls stories has given me the strength & courage to do it myself.
    Thank you all & I hope that my story may just help another girl to gather the courage to step out for the first time.
    Go on girls, you know you want to.

I just need to find an opportunity to do it again now I've finally made that HUGE leap out of my deep closet.

Luv Carla
    Last edited by Carla Stevens; 11-23-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Typo & add a thought
    “I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a WOMAN in it.” Marilyn Monroe

The views & opinions expressed in the above post are those of the author.
    Anyone acting on any information contained within the post does so entirely at their own risk.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

I just had the same experience too. Parked my car, went shopping, and no one batted an eye. It is fantastic.

Congrats to you two for venturing out and hearing both were met with not aprob as most never do.
    Renee

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Congrats Carla. You really have been a busy girl, finding out more about yourself all the time. It is always good to see girls gaining the confidence to do something they want desperately to accomplish, and then having such a blast doing it, and remembering it. Thanks ever so much for sharing with everyone.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Sounds like loads of fun. Glad you took the big leap and are now officially one of the girls! You'll find lots of other fun things to do while dressed, just make sure you tell us all about them.

Hey gurls,

When you go out enfemme, do you bother trying to disguise your voice? With my deep voice its a dead give away.

Jennifer

Platinum Member
    Good for you, Carla!

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla Stevens View Post
    In February this year I combined a mid-week visit to Dee's with an evening at Manchester Concord, a support group that meets in the Gay Village area of Manchester. It was my next stepping stone to getting out & about, especially as a couple of the regular girls persuaded me to head out around some bars.
    I repeated this again in the middle of May & this was my last chance to dress for 6 months.

Now in the past, I've read other peoples accounts on the forum of getting out & about & thought I'd never do it myself. I didn't believe that you could move through the streets & crowds unseen, but now I believe. It's fantastic.
    The support from reading other girls stories has given me the strength & courage to do it myself.
    Thank you all & I hope that my story may just help another girl to gather the courage to step out for the first time.
    Go on girls, you know you want to.

I just need to find an opportunity to do it again now I've finally made that HUGE leap out of my deep closet.

Luv Carla
    Hi Carla,

Epic retelling of your adventures en femme. So glad it has inspired you to get out in the future too. I think you have some major advantages in that Canal Street is a widely accepted part of life in Manchester. I suspect this must have some 'conditioning effect' on people's attitudes to a wider acceptance locally than the usual structured 'norm'. What you did does take true guts to do, but now you have bust your fear, there'll be no holding you back.

I'm soon to be meeting with others from the Beaumont Society down in the wild south, well S E London anyway, in the hope that I too will spread my wings a little more, with like minded girls on nights out. There is a feeling of isolation even though we predominantly live like battery chickens down here, so I found your recollection both encouraging and empowering. I have been out and about near Runcorn but I need that extra rocket up my posterior for back home.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Fantastic -- I know just how you feel -- and how it is looking forward to the next time, as it can't be soon enough -very habit forming................................Debra

Quote Originally Posted by reb.femme View Post
    Hi Carla,

I think you have some major advantages in that Canal Street is a widely accepted part of life in Manchester. I suspect this must have some 'conditioning effect' on people's attitudes to a wider acceptance locally than the usual structured 'norm'.

Rebecca
    Canal Street certainly has been an important stepping stone for me. Getting me out in the presence of others before making the leap to getting out in general public away from the safety of Canal Street.
    Good luck with your next step.

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer1958 View Post
    Hey gurls,

When you go out enfemme, do you bother trying to disguise your voice? With my deep voice its a dead give away.

Jennifer
    I decided to stick with my guy voice. I can't do a femme voice as I end up sounding like a croaky version of Mickey Mouse. I did consider making my guy voice a little softer & more 'camp' the way Drag Queens do, but didn't bother on the day.
    “I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a WOMAN in it.” Marilyn Monroe

Anyone acting on any information contained within the post does so entirely at their own risk.

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal action.

Way to go Carla, I'll be sure to say hi if I see you at concord. I'll be at the Xmas dinner next week if you're going.

Hugs

Jen xxx
    How do I feel about my SO. Chris de Burgh - Forevermore, says it all.

Well done to both of you. This is one of those stories that makes me wish I still lived near Manchester (very near to Bolton).
    I love the feeling of being dressed.
    I have a dream of true equality - including clothes and make up.
    Hugs Joanne.

Hi Carla,

Was it you that I met a couple of weeks ago at Dee's? I was the nervous guy in the motorbike gear!

EDIT: It was you! Hello! You and the others were really nice to me!
    Last edited by Amy A; 11-23-2012 at 04:17 PM.
    Pursue happiness, with diligence

My blog: A Circular Square

Good for you! The first time is the hardest, you have a easy and wonderful road infront of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel80 View Post
    Hi Carla,

Was it you that I met a couple of weeks ago at Dee's? I was the nervous guy in the motorbike gear!

EDIT: It was you! Hello! You and the others were really nice to me!
    Hi Rachel, yes it was me. Glad we made you feel at ease.
    Hopefully you'll pop along to Dee's again soon. I've got your friend request & if you want to talk or have any questions, just message me anytime.

I know the how you must of felt, cause I felt the same way the first time I went out in public. It sure felt great can't wait to do it again soon.