Thread: "Where are the duffle bags?"

"Where are the duffle bags?"

I went on an outing. I was dressed in a green blouse, black skirt, black hose, and black flats. I was presenting male (no wig, forms, or makeup). I was doing a lot of my Christmas shopping that day. I do not carry a purse and most of my feminine clothes do not have pockets. Therefore, I occasionally wear a lanyard with a small pouch to hold my ID, credit card, and cash.

OK, while I was at an office supply store, a man saw me walk past the end of his aisle. He looked at me and seemed to start following me. When I am out like this, I normally get a double take from people, but that's about it. This guy started to follow me, which is unusual. I wondered if he was one of us. He turned and went back to where he was. Shortly afterward, I came back by him because I was actually shopping for something, not because of him. He saw me again and approached me and said, "Do you work here?" I said no, and that was the end of that.

Later, in a sporting goods store, a male customer came straight up to me and asked me, "Where are the duffle bags?" I said, "I don't work here." That was when I realized that he saw my lanyard and thought I was an employee.

Finally, in a clothing store, a man and his wife were walking in the direction from which I was coming. When we got about five feet apart, the man asked me for some help. I, again, told them that I didn't work there. However, I was tempted to offer my help anyway. But, I didn't.

I found it fascinating that people thought that I was an employee and disregarded that I was in a skirt. My clothing wasn't significant enough to keep them from talking to me. Only the first guy seemed to have reservations about approaching me. The more I go out dressed, the more I think that people do not care very much and the more I find that I don't care very much either.
    Last edited by jjjjohanne; 11-27-2012 at 06:52 AM.

Perhaps your clothes WERE the reason they talked to you. Didn't you know that "do you work here" is one of the oldest pickup lines in the book? lol You go girl!!! Woot!!

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjohanne View Post
    I went on an outing. I was dressed in a green blouse, black skirt, black hose, and black flats. I was presenting male (no wig, forms, or makeup). .
    You were "presenting male"? In a blouse, skirt, black hose, and women's shoes?

You can certainly dress any way you want to, but in my part of the country, that's not "presenting male".
    [SIGPIC]http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=82706&dateline=137762 0356[/SIGPIC]Linda

Aspiring Member
    That was a nice story and observation. I would suggest that you look into purchasing a "travel pouch". I bought one at a Samsonite store and it is a small over the shoulder/head flip type bag about 6"x6". I take it out shopping and can carry everything you mentioned carrying plus some. I would agree that presenting the way you described that you were in female mode and when you appeared not to be carrying a bag, then one would assume that you were an employee. The lack of a wig and make up don't make you present as a male as many females have ultra short hair and wear no make up, but a skirt, blouse, hose and flats would make me recognize you as female especially if you are clean shaven. If you are comfortable wearing the clothing of your choice then enjoy your outings.

Assuming it was the lanyard or something that made you fit in OK.
    I found that a small sticker on the back of the car indicates you have been there.
    "San Francisco Piers" for example. Put the same sticker on the side of the car door and it looks like an official car.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    Quote; "I went on an outing. I was dressed in a green blouse, black skirt, black hose, and black flats. I was presenting male (no wig, forms, or makeup)." Bravo, good for you, life should be about dressing comfortabily, and not about following some set of rules made up by who ever. Makes me wonder if a sporran, (pouch worn in front of a kilt), would work better for you? Then again they might think that you are a Highlander. LOL
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

To those who think I was presenting female, I must remark that I am 6'3" (in flats) and I have wide shoulders. I look like man in a skirt. I have been told "presenting female" means that your head looks female. If what you are wearing makes you "presenting male/female" then most GG's present male on a regular basis! I make no effort to behave feminine. I do try to walk in such a way that looks graceful in a skirt, but I don't swing my hips or anything... I am a man and I like silky fabrics, so sometimes I wear them. That's my story.

I found it odd that I had three people approach me as if I were an employee. I have worn the lanyard out in public on a few occasions with no such reactions. Maybe it is because I was in bigger stores, or because it was closer to Christmas. Maybe I was more comfortable and appeared to be more approachable.