Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My wife knows

My wife knows

Well, I got careless. I was browsing the forums and my wife popped into the room. She wasn't happy. So later that evening, we had "the talk" again. Many of you know how that goes: lots of ambiguous questions that are very difficult to answer, especially to someone who has a very closed mind about all of this. She wasn't happy. But I remained calm, and tried to be an open book for her.

I got, "You like to look at men in dresses....Why?" She cannot accept that it is not a sexual thing. I'm not looking at men in dresses, etc., for a sexual turn-on. "Then what is it?" It's a hard question to answer. Crossdressers post pictures for a variety of reasons. One reason, perhaps, is to gain some acceptance and validity for their actions. Sure, sure, there's the vanity aspect of it all, but that's a little hard to explain to a wife who makes a good point when she says, "Don't you look at pictures of women in dresses? They're a hell of a lot better looking..." Total non-understanding, and on my part, an inability to adequately explain it to her. Much of my motivation for looking at "men in dresses" is to get a guage on what I can do to look better myself. Another is out of common courtesy for the ladies on this forum. I know we all try to some degree or another to look our best. Some of us are quite successful, others not so. Some have an advantage over others going in. But everybody tries. I'm no beauty queen. I try, too. I've received a lot of nice compliments from others here, which I appreciate enormously. I try to reciprocate with similar kindness.

She cannot comprehend how this doesn't border on homosexuality. After all, they're men....in dresses! When she asked about how other SO's responded, I told her that it is with a varying degree of acceptance, from outright rejection to full acceptance. I told her that some wives not only fully support their husbands crossdressing tendancies, but actually encourage them. This is a concept that she simply cannot get her mind around. I told her that she would be welcome to speak with other women about all of this, but she simply does not want to do so. Not at all.

I told her truthfully that I correspond with other crossdressers on a somewhat regular basis. When she asked what it is we talk about, I told her that it could be anything from fashion to football. One sister here shares my passion for American and world history. Things like that. She said, "Yeah, right. You're talking football...." But that is correct...sometimes. She wanted to know if other crossdressers take feminine names. I told her that yes, most do. Why? Because we manifest the feminine part of ourselves outwardly as women. Women have feminine names. Another concept that she has a great deal of difficulty with.

It got very late, and we needed to go to bed. We did not end the night as enemies, even though she was clearly upset. This morning, before she left for work, she was pleasant to me, wished me luck in my job interview (my fingers are crossed!), and kissed me goodbye. I will ask her later if she would be kind enough to continue the discussion at times. I don't want another year of brushing it under the table. But I also understand that she doesn't want anything to do with any of this. I do not need to dress up while she is downstairs watching TV. I don't mind waiting until she is away for a while. But neither do I want her thinking that I'm sneaking around behind her back. My hope is for a continuing open dialogue. There were a lot of things that she didn't ask me about, which means that there are probably a whole lot of unanswered questions she has.

All in all, it was, is, and will continue to be a very nervewracking experience. I long for even a modecum of acceptance from her, but I also understand that I likely will not get it. But I can stay hopeful.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Formerly Natalie Lynn Tracy Lynn's Avatar
    Hi Marla,

At least you and your wife are talking about it which alot of others here cannot do. Given time and more discussion maybe things will work out for you.

It must be so very difficult for someone to understand how we feel, think and act if they are not in our shoes. Very frustrating.

I hope things turn out better for you.
    Love Ya, Tracy

"Like the sky opens after a rainy day we must open to ourselves.... Learn to love yourself for who you are and open so the world can see you shine." ~James Poland

social babe
    Its a hard thing having a discussion with your wife on this topic , I had the confession / out of the closet discussion about 18 months ago even though she knew already.
    We were on rocky ground throughout most of last year but things settled down this year and it seems to be tolerated these days.

My wife will sometimes make a wise crack at me in front of the kids , we all have a good laugh together .
    I dont mind being made fun of within the family because to me its an acknowledgement of acceptance.
    [SIZE=3]Merinda[/SIZE]

thank you for your post, i wish in a way things could come out for me. I hide everything but like you wish it was out in the open.

They do say that some wives/girlfriends can never accept our crossdressing but I think you are lucky to have it out in the open and I hope your wife may come round

I hope everything works out, please keep us informed

Louise

Marla, Hope you get the job hon!

I'm sure it's the getting caught that gets you off on the wrong(er) foot.
    It mudies the thought process, as she will have the shock to deal with.
    You've seen all the advice so I wont ramble lol
    Best of luck and patience, to you both.

Hugs Ellaine
    Nothing human can be alien to me.

Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
    -William Blake

"Anyone who knows how to run a household, knows how to run the world."
    -- Xilonem Garcia, a Meshika elder in Mexico

your wife knowing

Hi Marla,

It may not seem it yet, but you are at least on the right track. Even if she never fully accepts it, she knows about it and you won't need to hide it or lie about it. The fact that she is in dialogue and doesn't go to bed angry says a lot. I believe she is thinking about, even when you feel she isn't - trust me, women can hide their thoughts and emotions as well as we can. If you remain honest and never avoid the topic when asked as well are prepared to answer her questions without confusion on your part, it will show her that you accept yourself and are not ashamed of it, therefore she will view it more positively as well.

julia

Boots and Skirts... ummmm Valerie West's Avatar

Chin up, Marla

The truth is, I think you have it pretty good. You have a dialogue that is not based in hate or disgust. There is hope. Has she ever seen any of your photos? You do look pretty good in the white outfit in your avatar. You are a classy lady, not trashy. The image you project is one that any of us would be proud of. You and your wife are in my prayers.
    When the subject comes up around here, she's usually upset about something else entirely, and then is not a good time to come to grips that I have a basic need to wear a skirt. As a result, things are not talked about let alone handled, so they stay in my closet and I wait my turn which is oftentimes only 4 times a year. If you guys are talking, that in itself is a miracle. At least to me.
    I wish you all the luck in the world.
    Valerie
    I Would If I Could, But I Can't So I Won't, But Oh My - I Sure Would Like To.

Hey, Sis, I'm so sorry that the confrontation happened as it did. I think I know you fairly well, I know you are very sensitive of your wife's feelings and are able to communicate your thoughts in a calm and honest manner. Hopefully, the dialogue will continue and your wife, in the end, may see crossdressing in a whole new light.
    I sure hope all the emails we've swapped about history and baseball didn't play a part in this. I would feel terrible, if it did.

Marla, if you need to PM or email me, you know where I am. I hope everything works out in a positive way. You're in my thoughts.

Love ~ Kim

Marla, sorry to hear that your wifes know and not really happy about it. I guess when time goes by she'll understand you much more better and who knows have more fun time!.
    Eventually in thesedays, boys to do get more harder and dirty jobs, while girls do get more easier and clean jobs.....

Well, I hardly have to tell you you have you work cut out for you, but at least - as we're all well aware from some of the girlses experiences - it could've been far worse...
    [SIZE=1]
    Marge, you being a cop makes you the Man, which makes me the woman. And I have no interest in that!

...besides occasionally wearing the underwear, which, as we discussed, is strictly a comfort thing.
    ~ H. Simpson

Silly goose, of course that's not me in my avatar![/size]

Marla, just to let you know that you're not alone, you've pretty much described the way my wife reacts to the situation. She lets me know in no uncertain terms that she still thinks it's perverted, accuses me of getting turned on looking at/conversing with men who enjoy dresseing enfemme, uses crossdressing as a weapon whenever possible, and absolutely refuses to read or listen to anything further on the subject. The fact that we're born this way seems to make no difference at all and it's seen as something that we should be able to turn on and off like a light switch. Yes, it's almost impossible to describe to someone (other than another crossdresser or a truly understanding female) how we feel and what it is that drives us to want to dress. I'd venture a guess that your wife has also accused you of not being interested in women too, am I right? And when we tell 'em that there actually ARE wives out there who are accepting of their husband's NEED to do this, their attitude is something along the lines of, "Well, THEY must be weird too."

Just thought I'd chime in and let you know that you don't need to feel like you're by yourself.

Dixie -- http://www.geocities.com/senorita_cd

Banned Read only
    I don't think her initial resistance is necessarily a bad thing. It is a bit of a shock at first for any woman I would think. But since she didn't throw you out or try to make you the "woman you want to be" in your sleep, and is talking about it, is a good sign. I think you will be ok. So how about that game last night?
    B.

Marla,

I can only hope for you that this opens a door for you and your wife.
    -Dayna

Self-professed godess of Photoshop... because a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

<*sigh*>

Marla, I wish you the best. I know others have offered words of hope, and perhaps things will unfold that way. Conversely, you may as well be prepared for her to be increasingly antagonistic and intolerant toward "TGMarla". Logic may not matter; from what you posted, it doesn't matter much at the moment.

Good luck Lady, and hang in there.

*BIG WARM HUGGLES* to you!
    Stephanie

Mac - It really does Just Work

I'm so sorry Marla - you're so supportive to this forum and its sisters... I can somewhat empathise with my father, but the discussion element just doesn't happen!

I hope that you can still remain who you want to be in some facet of your life... whether privatly or with a "to hell with it all," attitude.

Wishing you all the best xx

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

I know this is a tough thing for you Marla, but as others have said, at least you and your wife are talking. It's when the wife refuses to talk about it that real trouble is brewing. It will take a lot of patience to get through this.

It may be early yet, but you might want to bring up the concept of boundaries. Once she understands that this is something you are not able to give up, she needs to work out with you what will cause the least problems in the house with your crossdressing. Will it be strictly at home when she is not around, or only at home in another room when she is around, only when out of town, etc. You might want to print and show her the "Wives and Crossdressers' Bill of Rights". See: http://www.tri-ess.org/Wives_CDs_BofR.html

Best of luck, however you handle this.
    Phoebe

Oh, right you are, Steph. Thanks everyone for all the kind words of support. I should point out that this is not the first time at the ol' rodeo. I've said all along here that she knew I crossdressed. It just never came up as a topic of conversation. I was careful to keep my CD related activities away from her. But I admit to having been careless. This forum can be addictive, and I stay curious as to what goes on here. Thus, I was browsing it while she was home. My fault. Perhaps subliminally, I wanted to get caught at something just to get the topic out in the open again. And no, Kim, and everyone else too, our conversations and e-mails had nothing to do with it.

I appreciate everyone's comments, especially as I know I've never conversed or corresponded with some of you. Amazing, this group! Can't help but shake my head and smile.

Valerie, I'm not sure I want her to see the pix of me in that white dress. Some of the clothes I wear are hers, so that's a bit of a violation. (Heck, she doesn't wear them...) Others, of course, are mine. But that white one....well....that's what she was wearing the night I proposed to her about 12 years ago. She discarded it for some reason, and I rescued it for myself. Too pretty to let it go, and it has sentimental value to me. But if she saw me in it....well, I just don't know.

Right now, I think she really wants this out of sight and out of mind...again. She's the first to say that like most women, she likes MANLY men. (She's also the first to say what "most" "normal" people are like.) But she's also lamented the history of utter d**k-heads she dated when she was a single woman. I'm that way too, sometimes, but I try not to be. Anyway, she thinks I need serious counselling for a variety of reasons that go clear back to my childhood. I may consider it, if for no other reason, it will give me an outlet, someplace to vent a little. Who knows? It may even help.

Thanks for the link to the "Bill of Rights", Phoebe.

Remember those ridiculous "magic" 8-balls that told your future? Mine says "The future is murky".

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    Most women will remark about other women. My wife has said, "She looks great in that," and "She has a cute figure." I have overheard other women saying the same types of things to their husbands or friends. Are we to assume that they are all lesbians since they are looking at women in dresses? Maybe you can try a context shift with your wife and show that what you are doing on-line pretty much parallels what happens so often in life that she probably doesn't even notice it anymore.

Unfortunately, TG people have been their own worst enemies in some respects. A spouse can go to any CD, TV, TG, or TS forum and find lots of posts from men who want an encounter with another man. Usually there's something in those posts about "feeling more fem", "more completely a woman", or "only when I'm dressed." A lot of CDs also spend a lot of time in gay bars and around the gay community. While the reason for this is understandable, gays aren't hostile to TGs, one of the side effects is that people like Marla's wife can point to those web sites and say "See! I told you so!"

Fortunately, on-line isn't the only resource, nor is it the best resource. There's a lot of literature out there that has good, scientific research behind it that views transgenderism in a positive or at least neutral light. Of course, if you can convince your wife to talk over these issues with you and a therapist who is familiar with GID, so much the better. Personally, I'd keep my wife away from the on-line stuff. There is as much that's problematic and counter productive as there is that is helpful.

Warmest regards
    Christina Nicole.

P.S.
    The second paragraph is not a value judgement. But it does reflect some of the problems that I have had and the problems of others I know who have pointed wives and girlfriends to on-line resources.

C.N.

As someone without a SO I find it all a bit hard to relate to as I am a curious (and I hope intelligent) person. If my girlfriend liked to dress as a kangeroo in her spare time I'd spend hours and hours reading studying and asking, just trying to understand it. I might be shocked, amazed or disgusted but I'd damn well want to UNDERSTAND.

I would hope if I did meet someone special that she'd do the same for me if I revealed my interests.

Good luck anyway.
    Did you ever think about getting her to write down every...and I mean EVERY question she can think of in a word document...and you answer them clearly in your own time?

Wow, Marla, like, totally, I know.
    I'm halfway there myself.

You're gonna do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Christina Nicole
    Most women will remark about other women. My wife has said, "She looks great in that," and "She has a cute figure." I have overheard other women saying the same types of things to their husbands or friends. Are we to assume that they are all lesbians since they are looking at women in dresses? Maybe you can try a context shift with your wife and show that what you are doing on-line pretty much parallels what happens so often in life that she probably doesn't even notice it anymore.
    I was going to type something similar.

Even as accepting as my wife is, she refuses to join the forum and talk to the other GGs. She'll even comment that I have my online friends for support, and she has no one she can talk to. Yet, she refuses to go online with other SOs.

I don't know why.

All you can do is what you are already doing, Marla, keeping the lines of communication open. Don't push, however.
    DonnaT

hey Marla,

I am so glad that your wife is tolerant, it does show she loves you regardless (to a degree). I went through a very rough time with my ex and I even went to 3 counselors to appease her. All she would tell me in a calm voice was just stop it! Then the yelling would start

I will keep a prayer for you that you can work out some common ground with her. Remember to give her time and room.

I know I think of all the things I should have done and didn't. Maybe if I can suggest to others it may help.

Best wishes
    Clarissa

You will either like it or you won't!

Wife knows

Hi Marla,
    While reading your post I was thinking that I could have writen the same one. I know I was careless when I was found out, I left a bre where she could find it. And I think I did it because I wanted her to find it. We don't talk about it much, but we have had some talks about it. Had the same questions about other girls pictures, names, e-mails, being gay, etc. Only thing different is that mine has seen pictures of Jodi. I showed here everthing, my cloths, my wig, my makeup, my yahoo account and pictures. One of the the frist thing she said about one of pictures was that's my pink sweater and diamond necklace. She knows I come to this forum and that I chat on yahoo. About a week ago the subject came up again, she asked if I was still dressing. I didn't lie this time I said yes. She asked why. I really didn't answer her. I asked her how it was hurting her. She just said that I know she doesn't like it and for that reason I shouldn't do it. One thing that was different this time was there was no yelling, no swearing, and no name calling, by eather of us. Well that was the end of that for that day, nothing else said. So, I guess we are in the same boat or at least in the same lake. GOOD LUCK with the job interview.
    Hugs Jodi Lynn

Hello Marla, i wish you all the luck, i hopee she will join this forum so she can learn so much from other GG, just take your time and not push her.
    I hope 2006 will be a better year, the year your wife supports you.
    Adrianne.

Hi Marla, Hope all goes well, and you can continue a dialogue. As for info on SO's.--Two weeks ago at Erie Gala, about 25% of the attendees (cd's) had their SO with them. There were 4 others girls who have understanding SO's that were not able to make the trip due to commitments.

If you need other info, please PM me.

Jodi