Thread: Looking out for those around us

Looking out for those around us

I am sure that many of us have had dealt with a range of conflicting and confusing emotions during our lives and have experienced lows (and highs) because of the way we are.

We are at that time of year where people who are vulnerable can feel very low and depressed. The holidays can be a tough time for people. Just a little thought to look out for those around us - friends, work colleagues, regulars in Starbucks. Remember, a smile can really make someones day. It seems like nothing to for us to do this, but the effect on others can be really great. x

Well, we can't save the world Hon but there is certainly no law against being nice to others whenever possible.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Great post Stephanie......so very true reach out to others instead of being wrapped up in ourselves. Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

I spent a Christmas alone many years ago and I vowed ... Never again.
    A lot of thoughts of family, friends and acquaintances can be depressing if you are alone.
    The loss of loved ones, a change in lifestyle can all bring depression.
    I refer to some early on the transition road that may feel alone and unloved at this time of year, look up smile and life will be better as you progress.
    To young CD's that have just been found out this is a delicate time if you are not accepted.
    Again life goes on and it will be better around the corner as you enlarge your circle of friends to include others like yourself.
    Keep a smile on your face and "Have a nice day"(with sincerity I might add.) "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" witheven a bigger smile on your face.
    I sincerely wish you Stephanie and every one else all the best for the festive season.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Random acts of friendliness can have a positive effect on others. I know it makes my day brighter when someone treats me kindly.

bah humbug.......let the minions fend for themselves! With a smile and warm greetings from us always and a helping hand when we can. After all, thats what humanity is all about, every day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Follow me on Facebook
    http://facebook.com/ceri4certain

I'm luck my I don't get depressed...... I gave an ex-boss who's been through some rough times lately.... a hug after a meeting yesterday..... he started to cry.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Banned Read only
    Nice post Stephanie, I can really understand your heart in this. December and January are the two months in which most suicides occur for the very reasons you outlined. I identify with this because about 20 years ago I almost took my own life--at a time when everything seemed to be going very well.

Having been through it, and having followed up that painful time in life with a lot of study, I came to the conclusion that all, and I do mean all, suicides are the result of feeling alone, even in a crowded room. Clinically, it is usually described a a feeling of hopelessness. Depression arises out of that feeling and is not always dependent upon a bad circumstance. Sometimes it raises its ugly head when all seems well.

There is never a bad time to be nice, especially during this time of year.

I was collecting a parcel from the Post office today and a lovely elderly lady was behind me. She lives alone but seems O.K.
    But I turned round and started a conversation with her after we exchanged warm smiles.
    Not only was she uplifted by that small friendly chat but I certainly was!

Thank you for this thread Stephanie.

Aspiring Member
    Great post Steph I know that a simple smile and hello are sometimes all it takes to make someone's day. I try to always treat people how I want to be treated.

Steph also hehe

I no longer celebrate Christmas and New Years, but, being single all my life, I know the deep agony of feeling alone, with few friends, or family I can be safe with. I try to never pass the SA bell ringers, and give to strangers in need at times. Animals in need, too. These pagan materialistic hlidays put way too much pressure on everyone, especially the poor and unemployed.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I am with you on this one, and do try to be friendly whenever possible. These holiday seasons make it much more difficult as we get absorbed with our own families and commitments. Simple smiles and kind words are never too much to not do.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.