Thread: therapists?

Aspiring Member

therapists?

I am in the process of looking for a therapist but have no blue what to look for per say. I can sobs local search and 100's come up that deal with gender. I have read where you need to find one that for a you but what does that really mean? Exp, phd? So many questions.

It means that you want to find someone who asks you the right questions so that you can come up with the answers that are right for you! You do not need someone to "fix" you! You will want one that actually has real world experience with trangender issues and not simply book knowledge of the subject and therefore learning from you. This person should be able to help you verbally navigate your thoughts so that you can make the best decision for yourself and which path you would like to take. This usually means you will have to establish some kind of working relationship.

Hope this helps!
    Dana
    [SIZE="3"]Dana Rachael Stevens

The person I have always wanted to be, is within me!
    [/SIZE]

I don’t know how to go about finding a Therapist by searching online; I think it would be a hit-or-miss proposition. At some point you need to meet face-to-face, it is imperative that you feel comfortable enough with your Therapist to really open up and tell all – they can’t help you if you keep secrets.

I told my Family Practice Physician that I wanted to talk to someone about some gender issues and she referred me to a Counselor in her Family Practice Module. After a two-hour session with the Counselor she said she would ask my Physician to put through a referral to the Psychiatry Department for me so I could see someone on a regular basis. The Counselor also said she knew some people who worked in Physic and she would get recommendations and speak to a few of the Therapists, and I told her that I felt I would be more comfortable with a female Therapist. The Counselor got back to me a week or so later with her recommendation and I made an appointment.

At my first meeting with Kelly one of the first things she said to me was that if I was there seeking a “cure” I was wasting my time and I might as well get up and leave. She also said that if I wasn’t comfortable with her, or I felt that I wanted a Therapist with more experience with TS individuals (than CD) she would understand and offer some other recommendations. We spent the hour (well 55 minutes) getting to know one another and I decided that I liked Kelly and that she would do. I see Kelly monthly and at any given time I have two appointments booked.

We have discussed a lot of things, not all directly related to cross dressing; my Mother was in a Nursing Home with Alzheimer’s, she died in 2011, and that was something that got a fair amount of attention. We have discussed how my Wife’s non-acceptance affects me and how I can deal with it. It might have been my fourth session when she asked me if I would like to come in enfemme, and if so that I should feel free to do so – besides she would like to meet Barbra. After about a year Kelly said that she would recommend HRT if that was what I wanted and waive the six-month RLE (Real Life Experience) provided my Physician didn’t have any major health concerns.
    Last edited by Barbra P; 11-29-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Babs

Hey Steph, I had the same problem earlier this year and was at a loss when I came across a local GLBT church listing on one of my searches. I emailed the pastor of the church and she put me on to two local therapist that specialize in work with cross dressers. I talked to both, but ended up really connecting with one of the therapist and I feel as thought I have made some progress as to figuring out who I am. I hope you can find someone you like to work with.
    Marsha

I would have 2 possible suggestions:

1. Find a local support group and ask them for a recommendation.

2. List your location here, and perhaps someone in your area can make a recommendation.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

Aspiring Member
    I am in Orlando fl. And thanx for all the advice looks like its not impossible to find one that fits but takes time. Lol

I first went to the Tri-Ess website and found a chapter in Orlando. The chapter's website has one therapist listed, http://www.crossdressflorida.com/page3.html. You might want to contact the people at the chapter, too. They may have members that have experience with others.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

One thing you can do is go to the "Psychology Today" magazine website, they have a therapist locator. It allows you to put in what you are looking for, including transgender specialities. It allows you to choose the gender, area, education, etc of the therapist. I choose a woman who has an educational background similar to mine so we have more in common and it is easier for us to relate, but that may not work for everyone. Another thing you can do if you are using insurance is to go through their website, they usually have a method of listing the various service providers that accept that insurance. If you can't find a therapist that lists gender issues specifically, try one who works with lesbian/gay folks, as they usually also have experience with gender issues but simply don't list it. Good luck to you............Stephanie