View Poll Results: Do you sew? (Click on all that apply.)

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • I make my own clothes.

13 12.87%
  • I do alterations myself.

24 23.76%
  • I do repairs myself.

43 42.57%
  • I own or have use of a sewing machine.

38 37.62%
  • I use a needle and thread.

50 49.50%
  • I like to knit, or crochet, etc.

4 3.96%
  • I would like to learn/try to sew.

19 18.81%
  • Only if I can use a hammer.

13 12.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Many of Us Sew?

How Many of Us Sew?

Was wondering how many of us sew. Like in repairing, altering or creating our own clothes.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I alter most things. I like to make up combinations from leotards and swimsuit skirts, to make like a skate dress, for example. Elastic thread is very forgiving!
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Sewing

I would like to learn, have access to my wife's sewing machine, but just need the time/a good project to start with. I can sew on buttons and do simple repairs, but nothing more than that.

I was thinking a nice large hair ribbon or shoulder wrap would be a good start...
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

Amelie
    I make all my clothes, even corsets, bras, and cotton/lycra leggings.
    I used to buy fem clothes, but I was making so many alterations that I found it easier to make my own. Also I could make clothes that you couldn't buy in a store. Now if I could only make shoes, then I would really be happy.
    Love Amelie

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie
    I make all my clothes, even corsets, bras, and cotton/lycra leggings.
    I used to buy fem clothes, but I was making so many alterations that I found it easier to make my own. Also I could make clothes that you couldn't buy in a store. Now if I could only make shoes, then I would really be happy.
    Love Amelie
    and you only ever need black thread and knicker elastic. lucky girl, keep it simple.

even though I do it myself, I find the idea of us old dames squinting through our reading glasses trying to keep the stitches neat to be highly amusing.
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

I do make my own clothes, but funny thing is I still buy most of them. I see something in a store I like and think "I could make that" but then end up buying it because "I want it now!" I have trouble listening to that practical voice in my head

Like the majority I see,I am know how to use needle and thread to sew on a button.I see so many cute fabrics out there.I would love to make my own dress,blouse,or skirt someday.

joesephine
    Repairs, alterations, no problem.
    Understand a pattern------------------LOL
    I do a blackpowder reanactment (mid 1700-fur trade era)
    Made some leather Native american dresses for my daughters.
    They had bodys, and it hung and looked good on them. Made one for my wife at the time, she didn't have a nice body, it didn't hang right, and looked more like the dress was pointing out her body flaws. I cut it down for the girls.

Joesephine

I can manage repairs, sewing buttons back on and such like.

The only outfit I've made for myself was japanese armor tho.

Has anyone tried altering shoes? I just got 2 pairs of boots at Walmart today and the calves are a little wide. The materials are very soft (suede and cheap leather) so I was thinking I could take them apart and redraft the pieces to my own measurements. BTW - to you girls with big feet- check out the Walmart sales now!!! The brands they carry tend to run way big. I wear a size 12 shoe and 13 heel, but I was able to find 11's and 10.5s that fit well! I went yesterday and caught the sale by accident, so I bought a bouple sale sandals that were $3/pair and tried them on at home (size 12) - well they were WAY too big. I went back today and you know the rest.

My grandmother was a fabric and costume designer and my mom was a wedding gown maker and doll clothes designer. I've had training as a kid on how to use a sewing machine and read patterns and I've also had a class in junior high on sewing as well. I despereterly want to get back into it and improve my skill and work up to the point were I can design my own clothes. Only got two things holding me back right now, money and a good fashion fabric shop.

Money I can't fix untill I get a job but finding a good fabric shop is something I can do now. I know there is nothing around me that has any decent fabrics. Its all either wedding satins or cheap printed cotten. How clothes feel is extremely important for me and the fabric shoppes around me just doesn't carry the nice fabrics. I should spend a couple of days and explore the fashion disterict in LA to see if I can find a fabric shop that sells ends from the local makers.

Grace

I try

I try to sew but it doesn't come out wearable. As for my alterations the stitching line is always wavy in one or two short spots! So as to my answers to any of that all I can say is I try!
    The most beautiful thing in life, cannot be seen or touched, but is felt by the heart!

Amelie
    One way I learned to sew was, I took an old skirt that fitted my body. Then I would take the skirt apart carefuly. I would then use the pieces as a pattern for other fabric that was similar in texture. Because the original skirt fit, the new skirt would be made exactly the same so it would fit as well. Skirts are the easiest fem clothes to make.
    Just thought it might help.
    Love Amelie

Quote Originally Posted by Amelie
    One way I learned to sew was, I took an old skirt that fitted my body. Then I would take the skirt apart carefuly. I would then use the pieces as a pattern for other fabric that was similar in texture. Because the original skirt fit, the new skirt would be made exactly the same so it would fit as well. Skirts are the easiest fem clothes to make.
    Just thought it might help.
    Love Amelie
    such a practical girl, Amelie. I think you would make some GG a wonderful gothic wife.

I have tried to copy clothes like that, but because I only wear stretch lycra fabric I find it is impossible to get it to fit together neatly. If there is a secret to (hand) sewing lycra I certainly don't have it.
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

Amelie
    Crispy,, It is very difficult to stitch lycra fabric by hand sewing, I think impossible. For lycra fabrics a serger sewing machine is what is used most, although I do OK with a regular sewing machine. I use a lot of cotton/Lycra fabric, but I have some degree of difficulty using the Nylon/Lycra fabric. It,s really not that difficult if a machine is used, just try to make something simple first. With the cotton/lycra fabric, make a tube skirt, it can be made with just one seam to sew, fold the top of the fabric and slip in an elastic. Even if the top is not very neat, a top can come down and cover it. Fabric is so cheap you can make many mistakes without hurting your purse.

Love Amelie

Talking crispy-goth ladyboys' sewing circle

Amelie dear,

My SO would certainly question why I would need a sewing machine, but I would still love to learn. One day I may be as free as a bird, and then I will be able to sew to my heart's content. Can we arrange to meet in mid-Atlantic, or In My Dreams, so you can demonstrate how to sew lycra fabric? I don't mind if it's black lycra, actually more than half my garments are black, so maybe I could be elected as an honorary probationary goth at the same time. Which location would you prefer?

Anybody else want to join the Crispy-Goth sewing circle? Please apply below. Deposit of $99.99 per head is required for ticket reservations. Exact GPS co-ordinates of the chosen location will be advised in due course.

Does anyone have a magic carpet?

take care and thanks,
    [SIZE=3]crispy[/SIZE]

We have at least 4 sewing machines in the house, which includes an antique Singer treadle machine, an early version Singer electric, a Sears Kemore, and a Husqvarna something or other that can be computer controlled. My first wife, who past a few years back, was really into sewing. My kids also made their own SCA and fetish costumes.

The best I can do is repairs. Mainly because I don't have the time to learn to do more. And I need to take a course on how to use the new fangled techology.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Question Alterations?

About how much does it cost to have a skirt or blouse altered? I've a few things that I would like to fit better. Mostly skirts with larger waists.

Some are simple, which I'd like to try with my wife's sewing machine, others are more complicated and would like to have a professional work on.

I think around $20 would be reasonable for a multilayered skirt? Take it in a few inches? Or would it cost more?
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

Lavazza

Talking

I used to sew counterfeit jeans
    Last edited by Lavazza; 01-28-2005 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typo

The most complicated thing I'm able to sew is to hem the length of skirts and slacks.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

It's bigger on the inside alba68's Avatar
    Nope! Can't sew.
    Take care.
    [size=5]Alba.[/size]
    I'm not scared of dying, I just don't want to!

When my car breaks, I call the mechanic.

When clothes break, it's time for the dry cleaner , or tailor. Or goodwill.

No time, no inclination.

Hugs,

Melissa

StephanieCD
    I learned it in Home Ec class in school and was pretty good. I've fancied myself a seamstress but never actually made anything noteworthy. I think about it often - how easy it'd be to make something... but for now I've got a needle and thread and do only repairs. For now.

Vickie-CD
    Years ago my grandmother was a seamstress at a clothing store. Back then if you bought a dress or outfit and it did not fit properly, the seamstress would pin and mark what alterations needed to be made. Usually the garment could be picked up the following day and you had a custom fit. Things have changed dramaticly for the worse over the years. But anyway, she taught me how to sew and I have a Singer sewing machine. This is something I enjoy very much.
    Love,
    Vickie

My wife has a Bernina machine and an embroidery module with a computer interface, plus the software. I helped her pick it out.

She has made clothing on a previous sewing machine, including (male) robes and shirts for me.

She started teaching me fabric selection and sewing, but things came up and I have a partially finished caftan, will probably return to it in another year or so, after I retire. Besides making some of my own maid outfits, etc. I'd like to master the embroidery so I could design and then embroider monograms, logos, appliques, etc. well enough for wife and self and maybe eventually well enough for gifts and an occasional paying customer.

Jadeanne