View Poll Results: Do you sew? (Click on all that apply.)

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • I make my own clothes.

13 12.87%
  • I do alterations myself.

24 23.76%
  • I do repairs myself.

43 42.57%
  • I own or have use of a sewing machine.

38 37.62%
  • I use a needle and thread.

50 49.50%
  • I like to knit, or crochet, etc.

4 3.96%
  • I would like to learn/try to sew.

19 18.81%
  • Only if I can use a hammer.

13 12.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Many of Us Sew?

Vickie-CD
    Quote Originally Posted by Ava Mouse
    About how much does it cost to have a skirt or blouse altered? I've a few things that I would like to fit better. Mostly skirts with larger waists.

Some are simple, which I'd like to try with my wife's sewing machine, others are more complicated and would like to have a professional work on.

I think around $20 would be reasonable for a multilayered skirt? Take it in a few inches? Or would it cost more?
    Ava, alterations are usually very reasonable(cheap), look in your newspaper classifieds and there is probably someone working out of there home that does alterations. A difficult alteration for me or you to do is a piece of cake to an old time seamtress. I hope this helps.
    Best Wishes,
    Vickie

Tristen Cox
    Hmm I thought I answered this one with a post. I do my own repairs and some altering work but nothing fancy yet. Would love to make my own things, if only I had the patience and the practice. Someday... I hope

Love
    Tristen

I made most of a slip dress once, but then the instructions told me to make a spaghetti strap, sew it inside out and pull it through with a crochet hook. I couldn't get the hang of that, but the rest of the dress was wonderful.

I simply must try again but I'm traumatised.

Anyone know any good places on the web to learn sewing and tips and tricks?
    My first book, The Shipping Mistake, has been published. It's about all my pre-op years, since I was a child.

It is available for purchase at the following links online:

Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Lulu (the printer)

You can download a free preview by following any of the book links at Lulu

I made a robe in Home-Ec 25+ years ago.

Since them, I've reattached a couple buttons to some of my work shirts.

Does that count?

Rachel Jean

I bought my wife a Bernina 200 and she was so grateful she made me a maids uniform

I had to alter the pattern to fit my big frame, but it worked.

She has another Bernina, 185 I think, and a Singer that hasn't been used in a while.

I used to use the Singer for making repairs and other things. Sewings not that hard really.

I don't use the Bernina's however. She'd kill me after beating me to death if I messed them up. She's into quilting and embroidery.
    DonnaT

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Smile Well, I finally tried it

Well, I finally tried the sewing machine!

My wife helped me set it up, I tried some basics, then cut up an old dress to make a skirt. It's hardly perfect, but I consider it a success and look forward to learning more and evenually designing my own dresses...
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

I am so ashamed! My wife has a 500sq.ft shop above the garage, she sews for a living.....it's wall to wall industrial machines. She also does alterations for an up scale womens' clothing shop and for half the women in our area. When she's not making money sewing she works on her hobby......quilting. She has made me a few outfits and once helped me make a skirt. But I wasn't very good at it and she prefered I leave her machines alone in case I wrecked one. So sadly I don't sew, I bow my head in shame!

Sewing isn't that hard, it's just intimidating at first b/c you're seeing finished products and thinking, "le sigh".

I, too, started with tube skirts and taking apart existing items (I'm beginning to think Amelie and I might have been separated at birth lol). The careful deconstruction of simple clothing really helps you see how it was put together. Plus, the major American pattern companies (McCall's, Butterick, New Look, and Simplicity to name a few) typically have very good instructions on how to assemble things--provided you're an instructions type of person. The little tricks of the trade come after you've tried a few items and found what you think are undiscovered shortcuts! hehehe

I have made lots of costumes (even full Star Trek uniforms for both men and women), and have been much more able to express my personal style when I'm not too lazy to get the machine out. If you're new to sewing and don't want to spend a ton of money, try one of the Sears Kenmore basic machines. Just make sure it has a stretch stitch!!!!

Good luck future seamstresses.

sewing

Have a sewing machine that the wife bought years ago. From the get go I was the one that used it most. She has passed on now and I use it most to modify things. Can't seem to find the lacy panties and slips and camis I want so ad my own. Have quite a stock of lace as I stock up when I find a good deal. The Wal-Marts in a 150 mile radious see me as a regular in the fabric departments. Have had only one gal ask why I buy so much lace. Told her the truth that I ad it to lingerie. That was the end of the conversation, I thing she figured it was for me and became nervious. Hugs Krystal.

I curse myself for not taking home economics in high school.. was too busy taking computer drafting and metals/woods/auto mechanic (dam male brain of mine). I can repair pants with rips and re-sew buttons.. I tried a couple times to sew on my wife's machine but I always end up jamming it real good and she gets all pissed off at me. Whenever she brings up sewing, it's not usually something fun (like clothes) it's usually making drapes, or something for the dogs.. I think I just need to buy myself my own machine (used?) and practice so I don't eff her's up. One thing I hate about most machines is the bobbins you have to create (that jam up). I'd much prefer one of those machines that take in thread directly from the spool on both ends.

I was the only guy in a class of 27 girls for home ec in one school. Went to three schools and at all three learned to sew. Nowadays I repair my own clothes and design some things for the medieval reenactment group I'm with. I've come up with some basic asian stuff in the past but never anything worth bragging about. I did make my sisters ren fest dress last year. She took pics of me at the sewing machine. And when I was in junior high my grandmother taught me how to do needlepoint, again my sister had a camera nearby.

I want to learn to do more. I can read patterns but cannot make my own. I have a couple of female friends that help me with the more difficult stuff. And I wish I had more time and money to do it as well. Cloth can be so expensive sometimes. I want to lose some weight and make myself a cheong sam someday. That's a vietnamese dress for those that don't know. But I do love doing it, it is so zen for me when I am at the sewing machine working. I lose time when I sew and it feels very nice knowing that the stress is gone when I'm done.
    Existence is futile.

Billi49504
    Hi girls, I have 4 sewing machines. One is a cheapy, straight stitch and zig zag. Another is a Tipman Stitcher, a hand operated machine for leather.I use that one to make holsters and other cowboy stuff. The next 2 are Janome machines. One is a embroirdery only machine, with the digitizer software. The other is a quilting machine. That thing has a bazillion stitches and about 15 different feet. I'm just starting to learn to quilt, and about 1/2 way thru the cover of my first quilt. Then I want to try making a skirt. Maybe a poodle skirt. I haven't learned to make clothes yet, but I sure want too...Billi

Wow, Go Girls!

When Karen came out, I told her I'd teach her to sew if she taught me to the power tools, always liked woodworking as well. They're both about patterns and directions.
    i learned to sew at 10 so I could have clothes. Also like having original materials.
    Start with the simple patterns and use good material, it lays better and less problems. Pick up a how-to sewing book, like Mccalls or Simplicity, It shows little tricks in better details. Also, for fitting, use a bodyform that adjusts to your measurements, you can even lay the pattern around it to see if you need to add to any seams. The new patterns come in multi-sizes, so if you're larger on top or bottom, you can adjust.
    For straight stiching, you can add seam guides to your machine, or I use black electrical tape. This gives you a straight line for edge of fabric your're feeding into machine and keeps your stich line straighter.
    Wow, can't believe the girls making their own undies and such, wow, keep it up! I hate to do the time consuming intricates,now that I'm older and the magnifying glasses keep sliding off my nose. Did make Karen an ensemble in dark raspberry light knit, but had to shorten the skirt, image! Turned out well. Hope this helps. It takes practice, like anything else, I guess.
    Kat
    [SIZE=3] KRAZYKAT [/SIZE]

Cuddling with my spouse of 18 yrs., GypsyKaren makes me Happy!!

sew-what!?

sure I've, sewn My fingers together -ouch,, though I have made some hem adjustments and "expansions"-that worked- I'm sure it's -practice- I need Most! , though I'd love an industrial-4 leather machine- or serger,, the ol'e Viking machine- is nice though-,, "K" oh,I used to watch Sewing with Nancy on PBS?- She amazed Me!!
    Last edited by Khriss; 07-04-2005 at 02:50 AM. Reason: add
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Wink

My wife taught me to sew and i have made a dress from a patern start to finish ..i also like to add lace to bought clothes and am currently trying to find a course in stretch sewing so i can make lingerie ...I find it relaxing and as i am not artistic it gives me a sense of pride being able to create something beautifull :Power:
    Sarah
    TRY IT IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT DO IT AGAIN

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar

Sewing Made Simple

For what it is worth, I have always had a fascination with sewing although I have yet to try. I think it is because I feel a) that I could create more interesting things than are available to buy b) I have an interest in early period clothing such as 17-18 hundreds and fifties clothing that would be hard to get now c) I think that it would enhance the femme feeling d) it would be a good skill to have if ever women's style goes completely away from skirts and dresses.

Anyway, I found this great book in a used book store that I am sure there must be an up to date copy around somewhere. It is called How To Design Your Own Clothes and Make Your Own Patterns" by Claudia Ein and it breaks the whole design and sewing process down into a very simple and easy to understand process. Good read and interesting subject.

Hugs
    Melissa
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

Sewing

I sew some of my own clothes. I have two sewing machines and one that is dedicated strictly to embroidery.

I have a number of embroidery patterns I have created that are good for use where they are not seen. Most of them are "girlie."

I also have software to let me adapt patterns to a persons actual sizes (Very important for us that do not have a perfect hourglass figure!)

Most of my panties are embroidered, as are my slips and half slips.

I find the extra details of the embroidery makes most articles more femme.

JenniRose

[size=3]I own a needle and thread[/size]

[size=3]I have been known to sew on a button[/size]
    [size=3][/size]
    [size=3]That's it![/size]
    [size=3][/size]
    [size=3] [/size]
    [size=3][/size]
    [SIZE=5]Natalie [SIZE=4](the Tranny Granny)[/SIZE][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]The thantom phread killer striks again[/SIZE]

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Talking Funny!

This sewing THREAD has me in STICHES!!!

Bwah ha ha ha ha !!

Ahem...

Sorry...
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

Been sewing since I told my wife it was easy for her tomake curtains for our new house. "If you think it's so easy, make them yourself" she said, so honour was at stake, and I did. That was 30 years ago, and I've since made a small number of clothes for her, my son and daughter, even trousers! Recently, I've converted old trousers into tight skirts for me to wear in my closet, but nobody knows! I'm an engineer, and it weems like engineering with cloth.

Tony

Dragster, that's why I think a lot more males would be excellent at it than they realize. It really is just like building something, except with fabric. Sewing has made me get into a lot more things using my hands. I am actually buying my own tools now! heehee

And JenniRose, is that software worth a darn? I was considering it a couple of years ago and wasn't fully convinced it would be worth the cost. I am very curvy, so something like that might have the potential to give me that properly-fitted, sleek tailored look I seek so much.

Product review, perhaps?

Tristen Cox
    What the hay, I have recently sown the straps of my nighty because one had to go and break thanks to a plastic clip. Why they use plastic for everything I don't know. Anyhow while I was at it I sewed on a nice little pair of red lips over one of the breasts. I've done a purse strap made out of leather and even that worked ok, although very hard to get a needle through that thing. Zippers are fun to do I think. I'm always customizing/altering something.

Ronna's Evil Twin
    Yes, I have a thimble and spools of thread. I don't know any proper techniques but I can stitch a line and make it hold.
    Now making your own clothes, that would be a fantastic talent!

ooh.. i have a sewing story. when I wasl like.. 14? I took two old pairs of jeans, cut them apart, sewed them back up, then cut them into a dress shape, and sewed denim up both sides (used an old white sweatshirt on the sides as sort of an elastic since jean material doesn't really stretch), took me weeks and many bloody fingers, but I actually made my own denim dress by hand.. guess if you want a dress badly enough..

Life is more fun in heels Genifer Teal's Avatar
    Bernadina - I often do all of the above. At my height sewing and alterations are almost a necessity to have clothes that fit.

Genifer