Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Effects of aging

Effects of aging

I (think) I can do a decent job passing most of the time,
    but I'm getting into my upper 20's and prolonged exposure to testosterone will warp my body into an increasingly masculine shape.

Here's a quick question- what physically changes the most as we age that makes it more difficult to pass convincingly?

Follow-up question- how much time do i have before my "biological clock" makes it impossible to maintain a convincing illusion?

Then again, maybe these are naive questions or insulting to the older crowd. If so, sorry! I just haven't been there yet.
    May
    Last edited by May(be); 12-02-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I've always thought of being too old as 'when a certain part of your anatomy stops watching you shave in the morning, but is content to watch you tie your shoe laces'.

On a serious note, how much alcohol you've consumed, how much smoking and unprotected exposure to the Sun you've suffered are all key ingredients here. I've done a fair amount of all three over my early years.

My biggest problem at 53 is trying to do eyeliner on lids that look and feel like wrinkled cellophane. I'd probably have more success trying to take a leg of meat away from a hungry Lion.

If you put on weight, this may counter balance the situation. As they say, "no wrinkles on a balloon".

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Platinum Member
    Honestly, I think the majority of the effects have already taken place by your ages. From that point, t levels drop. It's not so much that t levels as the effects of sun exposure and aging tissues that changes our appearance. If your fairly passable at your age, the future is promising.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="4"]My worst difficulties at the moment are "turkey neck" and a few extra chins when I look down. Otherwise, I'm doing well for an old broad.

Advice? Don't smoke, drink in moderation, avoid heavy sun exposure, take care of your teeth, and keep your weight under control. That's about the best you can do. The rest is simply luck of the draw and good genes and good jeans!
    [/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    100% of the changes that affect men due to testosterone have hit you already. You're done "growing up". If you take care of yourself, watch your weight and workout you have decades before sagging starts.

I think you have asked some brilliant questions.
    I felt I was becoming less pliable at 30 although I did still look good.
    My shoulders seemed a little thicker but that is about all.
    My eyes look a little baggy now and my beard has started to thicken.
    Weight wise I am 20 lbs more in weight than when I was 20
    I have a photo taken at 35 that I will use as an avatar shortly.
    Be like me and don't smoke, drink or go out with bad women.
    You will probably look better for it but you may not have enjoyed life to the fullest.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I do not think there is an age where it is not possible to pull off the illusion. I belong to a group that consists or people from age 19 or so to over 80. Many of us older ones look pretty good as long as we dress and do makeup for our age. I find the eyes are the thing that has the biggest effect on me. I now have hooded eyes that have droops so bad they cover the eyelid when my eyes are open. I just work around that. I will never look like a 20 year old sex kitten but I have gone un noticed in stores and eateries. A lot of the "girls" I know tell me that after a point the aging makes it easier to blend. With a white beard it is easier to conceal, using a good bit of foundation does not look so out of place on an older woman, looser clothes seem to look more normal too. You just have to use what is there and there are good things about being younger and about being older. Cheer up and don't worry, you are still very young!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I'd be more concerned about exposure to the sun and environmental toxins..... chemicals in the food.....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

When I was first starting out with wigs, makeup, etc., one of my friends told me that my age (middle-aged) was in my favor. As an older "woman" you can get away with stuff that younger girls can't. I think she was right, too. E.g., I've noticed young guys glancing at me and then looking away. As an older woman, I hold no interest for them. I think when you're older, you don't get scrutinized so closely. Could be wrong about that, but that's my initial impression.

Annabelle

The best thing I have ever done to stave off the effects of aging is yoga. I only wish I had started sooner. I regularly see women in my yoga classes in their 50s and 60s who appear 20 years younger. Finding the right instructor is important so try to get a recommendation or try out several local studios. Besides , its fun and you get to wear tights.

Banned Read only
    When you're born the die has already been cast. It's in the genes. I come from a line of tall men, none less than six foot even. That makes it difficult to 'blend' in most circumstances. All the males in my family are genetically slender; height/weight proportional. What makes you NOT pass? It's getting easier to blend these days because so many men are totally out of shape with beer guts and carrying too much weight. There are too many young women who have eaten too many Twinkies. They look like walking death bombs.

You want to preserve yourself and look as passable as possible. Watch your weight and keep muscle tone. Do not get into that male urge to look like Atlas. You cannot stop genetic aging. But, you can minimize the effects of too many pounds. As many have said, stay out of the sun. Too many women have road maps for faces. Leathery skin looks lousy.

As Annabelle has stated, as you grow older there are fewer guys eying you. Old guys go after young chicks. Old ladies go have you studs. There aren't too many men prowling for middle age looking women.

And, as you age, dress for your age.

I can only speak for myself but I was in my male prime between 35-45. After that the T started to decline and my dressing was more bent towards as who I am as a person rather than physical things.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

The only thing that really changed for me was I started gaining weight in my mid 30's. If you take care of yourself, you should be able to avoid that. This is also when my hairline started to recede and it was hard to make it look feminine even long.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Platinum Member
    Hi May, I'll be 70 this week and I can do a pretty good job of passing.
    Just don't let yourself start falling apart.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Belly fat increases, skin texture becomes rougher, and some (not all, thankfully) suffer male pattern baldness.
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

The male tendancy to gain weight around the middle is probably the hardest to prevent. Depending on your genetics, you may be lucky. My biggest tip to young girls is to avoid the sun and use LOTS of sunscreen! It's cheap and effective. Also, if you plan to use your own hair, make sure to prevent hair loss as soon as it begins.
    Sally

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar
    I was very good at passing until in my early 70's. That was when my dear wife passed away! She was the one who could really make me passable. I have never been very good with makeup or fixing my wig. I still take good care of my face, and for that matter my whole body. But I go out dressed enfemme. but looking like a man! But even so, people still think that I am younger than I really am. For those who don't already know I am 80 plus!
    Stephanie

Lady on the outside, but man underneath!

The first thing that I noticed as I got older, I thought I was losing my hair. But soon I realized I was mistaken. My hair was not falling out, it was just growing down rather than up, and coming out of my ears and nose.

The other thing that I noticed is that as I aged I actually started to get better looking. Now, when I get close to the mirror I no longer see any of the wrinkles that use to be there just a few years ago. This started happening about the same time my arms started to get too short to read a book.
    Grace,
    Bobbi

"Talking is sharing. Listening is caring."

I don't know what to say about aging. I look 100% male and I can't find a way to make myself look feminine. But I am thinking of seeing a surgeon in the next few years to help me out a bit. Hehe

Well, I'm a sucker for red wine, which contains antioxidants, and a chemical called resveratrol, which is only found on red grapes and blueberries, particularly ones that grow in harsh environments. That, I'm told, will increase your life. I'll know for sure when I get there. My maternal grandparents lived into their 90's, my paternal grandfather died at age 47 of emphysema because he was a heavy smoker, but my grandma died a few months ago at 101.

I will not give up my meat eating ways, but fish, particularly salmon is a big part of my diet besides fruits & vegs. I stay away from white bread, and soda. OK, I treat myself to a Coca cola once a week if that....but no more than that.

I constantly drink water, lots of it, that is either bottled or purified in my Brita pitcher......cold as possible.

Running 3-5 miles every other day for the last 3 years help me burn off all the guy fat, especially on my face. I used to weigh 175 lbs , I'm 5'6", and now I'm 145.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If you are worried about your face start moisturizing your face right now with a quality product.
    Proper face cleanser first of course.
    Use a good sunscreen too.
    Diet is important too veggies and fruit such as blueberries,raspberries etc.
    I have been walking everyday and drinking plenty of water.
    I'm 60 and people think I'm in my late 40's.
    Take care of your hands too keep the moisturized too.

If you stay thin, and your beard doesn't get worse (getting it reduced makes a huge difference), there's no difference in pass-ability as you age. You just pass as an older woman.

If anything I pass much better than I did at 35 (when I started) over 20 years ago. Mainly because my comportment, confidence and voice are so much better. The more face time you get in public (if you're observant), the better you get. There's a big difference in the result when someone gives you a long look if you can return look confidently and give a girl smile.

i think for me i'm worried about face changes, men tend to deposit fat in there jowls and and the ladies into their cheeks. i feel that tends to make a big difference over time.

Banned Read only
    Western Upstate NY, on a Lake Ontario city
    Oddly enough I am more passable, and relaxed in public at 65 now that I was for the last 40 years. Those first 30 or so were my training wheels. But ditto to watching weight waistline, beard complexion, which I have no problem with. Turkey neck which you can't do much about except turtle necks or scarfs, but you seem off to a good start. Enjoy and SAVOR the next 30 years and grow with the aging experience. It will develop on it own naturally.
    Last edited by Megan70; 12-03-2012 at 06:28 PM.

I think that we tend to get more passable as we go from 50 up. Our male bodies tend to soften, get a bit of breast development, and add flesh on the neck that smooths out the Adam's apple. Older GGs have a much wider range of acceptable facial shapes and, face it, aren't scrutinized by being in the mating hunt as much.

For the younger folks, avoid exposure to the sun. The one thing I can't get rid of is the damaged skin and farmer tan on my arms. My shoulders are as smooth as a baby's behind, so I have a constant reminder of what those fun summer days riding motorcycles without a jacket cost me. Regular use of a loofah sponge on my arms followed by Nadinola cream helps with the farmer tan, but they will never be smooth and pretty again
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]