Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would like to thank my opening act...

I would like to thank my opening act...

As most of you here know, I want to be seen when I am out. I love the compliments and the attention. I also know that many here are probably over my adventures, but I have been like Through the Looking Glass the last few months. And there are just somethings I cannot share here (dang rules).

This weekend was time to catch up from the holiday week before. Although I am "out" to almost everyone I know, I still stay hidden from my Dad. I don't know how he would handle his wonderful son being a TG (TS). I am sure he would be shocked but I suspect it would be a DADT arrangement. Not ready to find out yet I do put some things away when they come out but I also don't hide other things. Sort of a plain sight thing. There are photos in the spare room as well as in the snapshots on the counter. The closet in the room they stay in is crammed with dresses and skirts and tops (it is my "clean room where the cats are not allowed). Other little things like nail polish and cologne and lipstick are out also. So I think they know..but I am not sure.

Anyway, after 10 days of of not being me, I was ready to get out again. The usual; Thursday Broadway show tunes night. Nothing new there. But it felt wonderful being me again. It is funny how after you get out and about, keeping yourself hidden is worse.

Friday: Horoscope says 5 star day: get out and have fun! Good enough for me. I mean it is written in the stars right? Getting ready was a little more time consuming having missed almost two weeks but not that bad...except I didn't like the makeup. Re-do eyes. OK go with that. Pick a dress, nope. Pick another dress, nope(side question: Why do they put the belt loops under your breasts instead of your waist?). Can't find the red skater skirt. Find the black lace skater. red, yeah red top. Too tight (dang turkey and sides), too nondescript. Sigh. OK black. Be all black. That works. Just a little later than usual. I did notice that my right eye was bothering me a bit, that happens when I put on powder, usually just a little dust under the contact.

Driving down the road, my mind on my money and my money on my mind. The eye really starts bothering me. I figured it was an eyelash. I pull the upper lashes and...wrong move. Now I was blurry and it hurt in the corner even more. Blink Blink...no. Still blurry. Close eye, not the best way to drive. Realize that even though I usually carry a spare pair and/or my regular glasses, tonight because of the rest of the disaster , I didn't. Pull into a shopping center parking lot to see if I can reset the lens. I park away from the stores because I don't want to interfere with business. I thought it may have fallen out but I cannot find it. I am sitting there looking for the lens and after about 5 minutes I decide...JUST GO HOME and get a new lens. As I start the car again, a red Mustang starts across the lot towards me. Then I see the red and blue lights in the grill. Well there are unmarked cars like that here in Denver. So I slow down. The Mustang comes towards me, lights flashing and then about 20 feet away makes a U-turn and drives off. Now I wonder if it was a real cop. The only lights were in the grill. OK, drive home with reading glasses 3 miles. When I got home I felt around and the lens was still in my eye, in the outside corner and it hurt. My eye is red. Removed the lens and see it was torn. That explains that. Well put in a new lens, grab the back up kit and head out. An hour later than usual. And thus I missed my friends I usually meet. However it wasn't a total loss. The rest of the night was interesting. I stood next to a man in the balcony who told me "You know every head turns when you come in". I said probably in shock. He assured me it was how I looked. I love "white liars". (I gave him my number....)

But the coup de grace. As I was leaving, the manager came over to me and asked if I was coming back the next night. Since I practically live there, I said yes. It was a night when a certain pianist would be there and he lets me sing. So of course I will be there. The manager whispers that there will be a special guest that night Here in Denver we have some wonderful musicians so I said "I bet it is Lannie Garrett...." He smiles and leans in and whispers "Frankie Avalon".

Wow! But I have been around long enough to know that things change. I took the news with a grain of salt. If he showed, great. If he didn't I would not be surprised.

Saturday night though I made sure I got the make up right and the dress right and...everything I could right. I went early (the place fills up with the regular guy as it is). I went from one part of the bar to another as places opened (no one knew about the special guest so they didn't stay) and finally got a table next to the reserved table. One friend I told the secret to, met me and we waited at the table. Since the place was swamped the management seats others with you if there are empty chairs. They call it European seting but no one they sat with us from Europe edit3.jpg Soon the four person table was seating 6 plus one standing. Two of us knew the secret. I would have bet he was not going to show, but he did. The teen idol (as I told a young couple there he was the Justin Bieber of the mid 60's) walked in and went to the table next to us. It was like being on the runway or at a movie opening. The place was filled with flashes. He was very gracious smiling and letting everyone take pictures. He has probably learned the hub bub dies down and it did, within 10 minutes although some still stared, no one bothered him. I went up to the pianist and sat next to him as he played "All That Jazz" and now I was the object of the photos.

On my way back to the table the aisle was blocked so I posed like I was terribly put out, looked over at Mr Avalon and said "Some people..." He smiled at me so I thought "what the hell" I asked if he would pose with me for a picture. He said....yes. The princess was thrilled. I squatted next to him (hey he was sitting and I am 6 feet tall) and leaned over to him and whispered in his ear "You know I am going to tell everyone Frankie Avalon opened for me". That is when the flash went off. The picture is one I will treasure forever, it almost looks like I am kissing his cheek!. He posed for three more and they are great too. He was very nice. (NB I don't know if I can post the photos here...Mods??).

He left a bit later and then the blonde did get up to sing. I started my song with "I would like to thank Frankie Avalon for opening for me tonight..."

edit2.jpg

edit1.jpg

perform3.jpg
    Last edited by Lorileah; 12-03-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: multitudinous spelling and syntax errors. Bad Lori Bad Lori
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Fabulous post, as always and darlin you are just so darn sexy & alluring. You have it all together Lori. Stay well keep posting. Hugs-ArleneRaquel
    Last edited by ArleneRaquel; 12-02-2012 at 11:14 PM.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

That's so great. I hope you can post the other pics!
    Mary

Awesome story. Hope they let you post the other pictures. I would love to see them.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Lorileah,

Great story and pics. I love the jewelry you;ve got on. With all that, what I found most impressive was this -

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    (it is my "clean room where the cats are not allowed)
    How in the world you are able to keep cats out of anywhere is beyond me. My two sneaks can get into anything and leave massive traces of themselves there. Since their favorite haunts are suitcases I even get reminded of them when I'm far from home. I bow down to your ability to keep the cats where they belong!

-Bree

Good pics Lorileah! From your sis "down under" - tee hee ...
    - Phoebe Brenne

Wonderful post thanks for sharing

Wow.How exciting.Sounds like a great, memorable night.Wish i was there!

That is a wonderful story Lorileah! I remember Frankie Avalon very well back in the sixties! You should be proud!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

In case you get tired of cats and dogs,you've got an option! Glad you are enjoying yourself!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Do I detect an air of confidence there?
    A great moment in time for you there Lorileah.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Congratulations on a wonderful evening with the star. I keep my cat out of one bedroom by simply keeping that door closed! Now about that semi-almost-maybe not so fictitious picture with the star (yeah, I am more than old enough to remember him)? Can we see it, please? Thanks for sharing another one of your fun evenings out stories. They are getting better and more interesting. Keep them coming.

I would love to post the photo but I know the rules state that the people in the photo (it probably states the identifiable people because background people would be impossible). I will PM the mods for here. If yes I will (that is why I saved a spot ). If not, Facebook......
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Another great story Lorileah, thanks for sharing! You (and Frankie A.) were really cool to pull that off -- maybe 40 years ago Annette would have had a run for her money? Brings back to mind all of those beach blanket bingo movies. And the jewelry and the dress really work together!

I must say the business with the lens must have been a scary time. Glad you got through it!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

The judges have ruled. so...
    test1.jpg

crown-dec1-m.jpg
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

This thread rules. What an amazing experience you had Lorileah. Sadly, I'm old enough to remember Mr. Avalon and his "beach movies" and he hasn't aged a bit. Might I add that you are giving Annette a run for her money.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    So cool Lori it had to have been a fabulous evening.

Thanks for the pic. I must say that you look much better than he does. I at first mistook that Burberry scarf for the typical designs that were on his leisure shirts way back when, when he was a good singer. Too bad he missed your act.

Great pictures. How awesome is that? Photo op with a living legend.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

What a wonderful experience. I love the photo's.

I have to say I love your stories. You are having too much damm fun.

Fearlessly Independent RebeccaLynne's Avatar
    Lorileah, congrats on the pics with Frankie. I love that he put his arm around you, and is every bit as thrilled as you are to be photographed together.

I really enjoy reading your threads and posts, so keep 'em coming...

Wow - That's Frankie all right! very cool! Glad you got to meet him and perform on the same stage. That's really something to brag about.
    Mary

Lori,
    You are gorgeous. WOW!
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Platinum Member
    Frankie Avalon was an earlier version of Justin Bieber, from the very early 60's actually.... Aside from inane songs he was guilty of those horrid movies with Annette Funicello (sp). It all happened during that awful musical period between Buddy Holly's death and the Beatles.

Still I'm glad he's able to make a living and who knows, you may have given him the Lorileah bump - and reignite his moribund career!