Thread: Blending in?

Blending in?

Many folks here on the Forum express how they want to dress in such a way so as to blend in with everyone else, don't stand out and people won't give them a second look. I'm not so sure that is I want, however. Upon due consideration of this subject, I think I'm okay with the not standing out part but like any woman I appreciate when I'm noticed for being a bit striking and someone gives me a compliment. In that case I'll graciously accept it and not burst the compliment giver's bubble. After all bringing some beauty and niceness into the world and making someone's day is partly what it's all about, right?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I try to blend in. However, I still like to look my best, be fashionable, and portray a positive image of transgender. I wear more pants than dresses, heels are for evenings out etc. I will not follow the unfortunate trend of dressing down for the sake of 'comfort', that I see all too often among GG's now. Sweatpants, baseball caps, t-shirts advertising an event that happened in 2003 etc. CROCS!!! I think a women can look fabulous and sexy in casual clothes. With the cool weather here, I've been wearing alot of skinny jeans, or leggings, boots, a blazer or lighter winter coat, and a cowl neck sweater or blouse and scarf. I blend in, but (unfortunately) I'm still usually better dressed than the GG's at the mall. There is a lights at the end of the tunnel. I've been invited back to the monthly ladies night at a nearby eatery. (2nd time). These ladies dress up. Wow! Do they clean up good. I'm looking forward to it.-Celeste
    P.S.- Worst dressed to date. I saw a GG at a recent concert in a John Deere hat, spongebob T-shirt, and cutoffs that her ample ass-cheeks were escaping from. I'm still having bad dreams.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I try to blend on my rare but necessary visits out amongst the Muggles, Kate.

However, that's NOT who I am as a dresser. Sherry usually dresses; flamboyant, sexy, tasteless, and quite often trashy. She HATES compromising her looks to suit strangers!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member
    I dress to look the best that I can, but still in a manner that is situationally appropriate. That doesn't mean a tshirt, cutoffs and a baseball cap.

Hallie Berry could pull of that outfit, but not me. In fact, thank you for allowing me to substitute the image of Halle Berry in cutoffs for the one you offered!

Great post, Kate. I think we all want to be as attractive as possible (and yes, bringing beauty and niceness into this world is SO important!), and that's not inconsistent with blending in, at least in the sense that I've been using the term. This isn't very well thought out, but I think a good benchmark of blending in is how you look at a distance, and in a crowd. Some girls really stand out even in those circumstances because of their amazing figures or bone structure, but that's not something I can really aspire to. I can, maybe, hopefully, aspire to being noticeable (in a good way) at closer range, but I don't want to stand out at a distance or closer up because I'm wearing a look-at-me outfit, or because I'm made up more dramatically than the situation allows, or because my hairstyle is overly noticeable.

Kate, Ditto . The "blending" around here is the typical walmart women, dirty sneakers, grungy pajama bottoms, manicure color to the cuticle, zero makeup and least we forget the base ball cap.
    I like to blend but with a little class. Hugs Roberta
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    I always try to blend, just a simple look nothing that screams hey look at me! Usually a simple t-shirt. sweater, or tank top with jeans, yoga pants, or occasionally in the summer a skirt or shorts. And finish it off with simple make up, just a basic daily look. I will from time to time wear something to stand out, like a tight dress or bikini. Mostly I dress for lounging at home, something comfortable that I can wear all or most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta Young View Post
    Kate, Ditto . The "blending" around here is the typical walmart women, dirty sneakers, grungy pajama bottoms, manicure color to the cuticle, zero makeup and least we forget the base ball cap.
    I like to blend but with a little class. Hugs Roberta
    Hopefully some of those genetic gals you mentioned "clean up nicely" as the expression goes sometimes Roberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple8229 View Post
    Oh, I thought you said BENDING...and I thought about how we men bend from the waist to pick up something and women bend their knees to do same... Continue...
    Well yeah but we have to be careful just WHAT we bend Steph.
    Last edited by Eryn; 12-04-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts. Please use the multiquote button at the bottom right of each post to put all your replys in one post.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

It's nice to be noticed, but I like to be noticed for the right reasons. To me that means being age and venue appropriate, as well as fashionable and elegant.

I have probably used the word blending on here, but may not be what I really meant to say. I dont want to blend into the background, I want to be out there, and be active and be seen, but as a couple others have posted, I don't want to stand out for wrong reasons and collect that "bad" attention.
    Stephanie

I want to look right for the occasion. If I say I am trying to blend it means for me I want to look like just another woman wherever I am. Of course I want to look as best I can at all times but not out of place. Even as a man I wouldn't wear a tux to a ballgame.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Aspiring Member

I try to blend

I generally wear jeans and a fem top, like a Henley when I go out. Shoes are either Clark's Fem side-zip loafers or running shoes, whichever... Also the regular long hair and jewelry.

Today my wife and I were at the mall and I got an unexpected compliment on my fingernail polish; the first ever. Other SA's either greeted us as "hi guys" or "hello ladies". Everyone was friendly and it was a very pleasant day.

Did I "pass"; I seriously doubt it, especially up close. Did I "blend in"; yes I'd say I did. Once again I proved that if you are polite and smile you will do just fine. We had a friendly and fun day.

Be Happy,
    Sandra1746

Silver Member
    the key to "blending in" is not being noticed--when we go to the mall dressed to the nines, chances are pretty good that we will be noticed
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

I am with you. I like to "fit" in and be noticed. It really does make the moment so much more enjoyable.

Blending in helps gain acceptance for the TG community. It may not be much of a thrill but it works! It tells women that we are one of them.
    Though, by all means, keep your feminine edge.

Blending in doesn't mean that I can't be stylish or pretty.

Just as GGs do, I can choose when I want to follow the crowd and when I want to stand out. That's one of the beauties of being feminine!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

There's a difference between being noticed and standing out.
    If you are dressed nicely you can still 'blend' and be noticed for the right reasons. You can also 'stand out' for the wrong reasons like the mini skirt, black stockings and 4" heels at Walmart or the t-shirt, torn jeans and sneakers at a nice restaurant.

I don't mind blending at all...I try to always dress tastefully and nice and still be part of the herd. I know I will be noticed (I'm tall like many girls) but I always hope it's for the right reasons.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I go with blend and keep a low profile, when strangers are present I am often introduced as a transgendered person.
    I let it go and answer the questions put to me.
    Once introductions are over it is down to business and chat and answer questions and let others ask of me what they will.
    I rarely speak about myself unless it is about traveling adventures.
    Occasionally I will hold the floor telling of unusual circumstances. Usually a Q&A session.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

A lot of us girls have mentioned projecting a positive image of the trans community. When we just try to fit in, appropriately dressed, polite, and friendly, it helps dispell the all to common myth that we're just a bunch of pervs. I saw a CD at the mall the other day that was dressed for the disco. She was probably wondering why people stare, and thinking that people were unfair and biased. Please girls- leave the false eyelashes and fetish heels for the nightclub.-Celeste