Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What other strange HOBBIES might you have?

My wife (jokingly) informed me a while back that I'm not allowed to acquire any more hobbies.

In between CDing sessions, I like golf, guns, astronomy, hiking, reading, weightlifting, hockey, and when I have time, I play bass in a heavy metal band.

Currently between bands, as I like to say, since it's not easy to find a group of 50-somethings who still want to rock out like we did in the 70's & 80's. You're only as young as you feel though, amirite?
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

My collection is old 33-1/3 LP records. I have about 300 of them. They are available in all the junk shops around her (Florida)... so I have lots to check out. I only consider them if they are in "primo" condition.... and many are... maybe little-played IF AT ALL!! Cost is about $1 - $2 each. I then play them in to my computer via my "ION" turntable.... so have my "collection" of music available to play over wireless speakers.... AND can make CDs to play in the car or on the boat....

I also do "custom-made" T-shirts on which I paint with fabric paint. Last Fall I sported one that read "Another Amercian for Romeny... and Ryin', too!!!" It's the "price I pay for having to much time and an idle mind!!!!!

First of all this isn't a "Hobby" to me.
    Second of all I don't consider this "Strange".

My hobbies are woodworking and shooting.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Linda in the OC

Not so unusual... i think

My primary hobby is gardening and i spend a lot of my 'free' time in the yard. Everyone says i have a green thumb. i'm also very nerdy and enjoy reading everyday especially in science related topics like chemistry, biotechnology, and natural history. i also enjoy cooking, drawing, and painting. Going to museums, botanic gardens, beaches looking for interesting stones and shells, and my new thing finding polished glass pieces that have been smoothed by the waves and sand.

I enjoy collecting golf equipment, old and modern. I build mini sprint cars, 1000 c.c. motorcycle engine powered. developing hy-powered target pistols, using 5.56 casings blown out to 7m.m. @ 2600 fps., 1 minute of angle or less accurecy.
    I get to do all of my own cooking, cleaning, shopping home maintaince and hoping I can find a GG who wants a 75+ year old odd-ball who likes to dress up femme style...tmi lol

I collect Fairy and Dragon figurines. I started with Dragons about 15 years ago and have over 100, then in the last 10 years or so moved onto fairies as well. My SO loves fairies too so we have a good collection now between us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I collect old books and also scuba dive, when I was younger wreck diving in the cold northeast, now mostly warm Caribbean dives.

I want to see pictures of the 55 F100! That's one thing I'm going to do when I get out of the semi is start building a pickup.

I wouldn't say I have strange hobbies... I'm a cyclist, raced mountain bikes for over half my life and will again. I do airsoft. I enjoy milsim and larger type woods scenarios/games. And I've been snowboarding for over 20 years. I'm doing a lot of sewing nowadays. I figure most womens clothes don't fit me right I may as well make them fit or make my own.

Lets see, photography and movie making, chemistry, reading, coin collecting and my favorite at the moment would have to be woodworking.

I build model cars, collect old toy cars, and tinker with my three antique cars. At this time I have over 500 1/25th scale model cars on display.
    Last edited by Trish; 01-02-2013 at 06:06 PM.

I collect knives of all kinds. I am a huge fan of knives, and my collection is always growing!

I also collect pocket watches.

Anything with two wheels and a throttle opens my wallet. 15 bikes in the stable.
    All the way from 70's trials and MX to 2012 street and dirt.
    I am not the fastest or the best but I have more fun than most.

I'm at a point where mine are changing due to health issues. I can.t portage anymore so caoeing is gone, at least long trips. Hiking is also no longer possibe, and gardening is not in a north facing condo apt. Cooking, went back to school and got my papers and worked at it. Still have a small antique lamp collection that I am rewiring, but now the old bulbs are going out, antique furniture is all in use, mostly 1880s from family sources. 1960s Canadian poetry books and cook books galore. My son says I'm a hoarder, DVDs albums anything with memories. Looking for new avenues, maybe sea kayaking, hmmm that could be done en femme.

hugs rita

PS Kaaren any roofer worth employing will still use a nail puller, available at most hardware and building centers. I suppose going around looking at buildings and achitecture is a hobby. Have some paintings, some by friends others just ones I like but by artists who sell.
    Last edited by rita63; 01-02-2013 at 10:51 PM. Reason: to add PS
    Dressing is not a choice.

Its a passion.

Haven't seen this one yet

[SIZE="4"]I like model trains. I'm surprised that there aren't any other model railroaders here...

Oh yes, there have been times when I could be found "workin' on the railroad" in a leo & tights!

Lacy PJs[/SIZE]

I am a long time metal detectorist, and I do handyman jobs for some widows.

Silver Member
    Hobbies are sea kayaking, jogging, x-country skiing (when and if it snows here), civil war history---now for "strange hobbies", if you want to know what those are you will have to ask me for a date---lol
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

During the better months of the year I hang my scrawny butt off the side of a motorcycle and see how low I can go. Been doing good so far, if the sign says 35 I'm figuring 80ish. Been lucky so far. When I'm not riding and the wife can get away we take our 5th wheel trailer out to camp for a night or two.

Addicted To Lipstick donnatracey's Avatar
    Been playing tabletop baseball dice/computer simulation games for many years....

Yes, this is really me! shayleetv's Avatar
    In a bedroom community outside Salt Lake City, Utah.
    I don't know if this qualifies as a hobbie, more like a service, but it takes most of my spare time and gives me great satisfaction. Since retiring from work and wanting to fill a void in my life a friend said I should help those who have no one to help them and suggested that I talk to the chaplain at a convalescent center not far from my home. He asked if I could read to some of the people there whose eye sight had failed in their deteriorating years. Most of these people have no one to visit with or to make their lives more pleasant. I started to read to one or two at first. Mostly from newspapers then the crowd grew and now I have a group that I read to for an hour that totals between 12 and 18. They vote and tell me what they would like to hear. When I stop and take a break some want to discuss what I read. It has become quite gratifying to see the energy level increase in these folks. I have made a great many friends and sadly some have left us and some more have joined to replace those who have left. I feel the warmth of their love and I hope they feel mine as well. This has cut drastically into my other hobbie or should I say obsession but I make time for that when it is needed.
    "If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your troubles, you wouldn't sit for a month."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

I do competitive civil war era weapon shooting. Nothing like standing on the firing line with over 400 other competitors and the whistle blows and all gun are going off. Well maybe standing on the firing line with 50 others cannons comes close.