Thread: One Year On

One Year On

Hi, Everybody!

It was a year ago today that I joined this forum. In that time I know I’ve had a lot to say. Partly it’s because when I first came here, somebody told me that the person who starts the most threads in one year gets some kind of award. I haven’t seen anything of that particular member since, though, so I suppose she was having me on.

But it’s partly been your fault, too. This forum has given me a lot to think about, and it’s certainly set me on a road to discovery. When I joined this forum, I was pretty much nowhere, still deep in the closet and only tentatively coming out of a life-long bout of denial. The first thing I felt when I got here was envy. I saw so many people doing stuff I’d never even thought about doing, stuff I didn’t even know could be done.

Back in the old days I was hardly a committed T-girl. I’d generally make a half-hearted effort to make myself look ridiculous, and in that I always succeeded gloriously. These days things are quite different. A good friend of mine is always worried about me getting lost in the pink fog. Maybe I am. If so, it’s a been a whole year in the pink fog, and I certainly don’t regret it because it’s far and away better than the drab, grey fog I used to be living in.

Recently I ordered the complete DVD edition of the TV series from the 60s, “The Prisoner”. Whoever remembers that show is old, I mean really old, just like me. And they’ll know, too, that that show could only have been done in the 60’s. You could get away with just about anything in that decade. In any case, I celebrated my anniversary today by watching the final episode, the one in which poor Number Six finally escapes. I thought that was appropriate for the day.

Yesterday afternoon I watched “Remains of the Day”, and that film really hit home in a way. Anthony Hopkins’ character, poor man, was so repressed it was like he was living in Plato’s cave, except that somebody had turned off the lights. He never felt a thing, perhaps didn’t even know that things could be felt. That’s how repressed he was. And I think that’s how repressed I was.

Because I think I’m beginning to understand some things—not just intellectually. That sort of understanding doesn’t always mean much. No, I’m beginning to understand some things emotionally. E.g., just a few days ago one member of this forum referred to me as a “transwoman”. A year ago, that wouldn’t have meant anything to me. It was just a concept. I might not have even agreed that that was what I was. Now the word means something to me. It has a feel to it. I’m beginning to understand what a transwoman is and why I might be one.

I was contemplating getting out of the closet for quite some time before I actually did it. One thing that held me back was the seeming preposterousness of the idea. I was telling myself, “That’s crazy! You’re crazy if you think you can go walking around this town dressed as a woman!” Even after I was doing it for a couple of weeks, it still seemed crazy. I was constantly laughing. I couldn’t believe what I was doing.

Now—I’m asking myself, Why shouldn’t I be doing it? Why shouldn’t I show myself and others what I am? My feelings have evolved amazingly fast. Nowadays if someone were to tell me I shouldn’t be dressing the way I am, I’d still have that useless intellectual understanding of what they were saying. “Yes, yes, I know what you mean.” Emotionally I’m past the point where I can understand it. What I’m doing these days seems so natural, it seems like me. Emotionally I’d be puzzled if someone told me that what I’m doing is wrong.

Repression is an amazing thing. You can’t begin discovering what you’ve repressed until you discover that you are repressed. What else do I have left to discover? Don’t worry about it. Just take it one step at a time. So far the road has been bright and sunny. Right now I think I can spy a little cloud on the horizon. Don’t worry about it. Just take it one step at a time.

So there it is. What else can you say? “There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” I think Bob Dylan said that.

Best wishes, Annabelle

P.S. I made an awful mess of my lipstick today. Tried several times and could not get it right. What an embarrassment! I hope there’s not some kind of award for that.

I am so glad you are here. Your comments are always thoughtful--worth reading twice. It is great, and a feeling of wonderful new found freedom to finally get out on the street as your true self. Not that I have had much opportunity to do the same.

I am watching “remains of the day” As I type this Annabelle. [Film 4 freeview channel]

But having submitted such an interesting thread for our perusal perhaps, with your permission, I might be permitted to enquire sir if you could enlighten us on the nature of the little cloud on the horizon that you rifer to.

[I am trying to sound like the butler in the film. If anyone here has seen it they will understand]
    For those that have not seen it, No, Suzy has not lost her marbles.

Suzy

It can be good or difficult, depending on how we manage it. Ultimately though, who we are and what we do has to be totally our choice.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Thanks to all for your kind remarks.

As for the little cloud: I'm beginning to understand some things these days, one of them being just how wrong I was born. I'm going to do my best not to let that fact worry me too much. Just deal with whatever needs to be dealt with, and not let it spoil my life for me. I've found some happiness these days, I certainly don't want to start worrying unduly about things.

Annabelle

I was just looking at this thread of yours whilst doing a little research.
    Another word for muck raking.....
    I was thinking how you have come along even in the last three months.
    Keep up the progress.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I was thinking how you have come along even in the last three months.
    Keep up the progress.
    Thanks, Beverley. I'm still going forward. This week I took the big step of having my legal name changed. Taking a new name takes some getting used to. A lot of people have been calling me "Annabelle" for some time now, and I'm still trying to get used to it. I've found it's not something you do overnight. Now I'm going to start the process of getting all my documents switched over to my new name. I'm looking forward to that. It will be nice to have everything saying "Annabelle".

A name means a lot, especially when it states so clearly what you are. It's one reason I wanted to change it--as a way of declaring to the world what I am. You get tired of being ashamed of yourself. No more shame! I'm stating that loud and clear. I am me, and I'm not ashamed any more.

Best wishes, Annabelle

Annabelle is such a pretty name.I just want to say that i always look forward to reading your posts and I admire your courage. for if I understand you correctly you live in a small village were everyone knows everyone else's business. But then again, maybe that could that have made it easier or harder. Either way it took a lot of courage and I admire you for it. Best wishes.

Yes "you've come a long way baby". Time flies when you're having fun Annabelle and you obviously are. Nice to see you in your "groove" and enjoying your life as you see fit. The scary part is now behind you, congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by daarleane View Post
    Annabelle is such a pretty name.I just want to say that i always look forward to reading your posts and I admire your courage. for if I understand you correctly you live in a small village were everyone knows everyone else's business. But then again, maybe that could that have made it easier or harder. Either way it took a lot of courage and I admire you for it. Best wishes.
    Thanks so much, Daarleane. I call this a small town myself (about 4000 people), though by some people's standards it might be a village.

I think the commonly accepted wisdom is that it's easier to come out in a large city where you have a better chance of blending in. I certainly don't blend in in this town. But the point can be debated. In the days when I was thinking about coming out, one of my contacts, who lived in a smaller place than this, argued that a small town is actually better. People will know you, and if you get on well with them, it will be easier for them to accept you. I've been in this town and the area for 17 years now, so people do know me. And whatever else they might say about me, they know I'm not a trouble-maker.

But it is a fact that they've been extremely good to me. More than 3 months I've been out now and I've had absolutely no hassle. I haven't had so much as a bad word said to me. I think there are some people who don't like me much. On occasion I see a bit of a sour face. But even those people keep their mouths shut, so I've got no complaint. It's an amazing town. Lots of transpeople would love to be in my position, that's for sure. I feel like I've won the lottery--but I've won something much better than money.

There's also an advantage in not blending in: I don't have to worry about blending in--which means I don't have to dress like your average woman. I can dress any way I like--and that means girly. I love my dresses and skirts, and people don't often see me in pants these days. It's a fabulous feeling walking around town these days: I feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    Yes "you've come a long way baby". Time flies when you're having fun Annabelle and you obviously are. Nice to see you in your "groove" and enjoying your life as you see fit. The scary part is now behind you, congrats!
    Thanks, Marleena--but maybe the scary part is ahead of me. It appears I have the freedom to do what I like, to make of my life what I can. Well, I can't possibly do worse than I did with the first part of my life. This afternoon I painted my nails in my favorite shade (lavendar), so that's a start.

Annabelle