Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are CDs More Affectionate?

Are CDs More Affectionate?

In our society most men display little affection, while most women display quite a bit. Gay men probably show more affection than straight men. Though CDs are mostly straight, I think we're much more willing to display affection publicly too. Am I right?

Women are more comfortable hugging and kissing each other, or dancing with, or just touching, each other. Are we as well? Are CDs willing to hug and kiss, touch, or dance together? I suppose this is more true of younger CDs. I hope they will respond to this too.

Since I haven't met any CDs in person yet, I don't know if I'm right. I just have the impression that I'd be comfortable showing affection with CDs (et al). I tend to think of CDs as women, or womanly, and I seem to feel it's socially acceptable to act womanly as CDs. It's not just dressing that makes it socially acceptable, because I do know straight men who act womanly (affectionate etc) in male mode (who don't seem to be CDs).

The problem with affection is that it's no fun to give it if it's not wanted, and it's hard to tell sometimes if it might be wanted. Did you ever ask someone "Want a hug?" and they reply "Hell no, you pervert; take a hike"?

P.S. I suppose I should've asked also if CDs are more emotional or sensitive than most men. Should I have asked that?

(Hell no, you pervert ...)
    Last edited by LelaK; 12-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

I have always been a cuddly type. When in a relationship with a woman I am often touching them, holding hands, stroking their hair in public and almost never let them go in private. That is only if I am close to a person, I really don't like strangers hugging me much.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I don't know about everybody else, but I'm definitely really affectionate in private, in public and everything in between. I love hugs, cuddling and holding hands with my wife and she loves it too. I'm also more sensitive, she doesn't quite love that part

Yes, I am much more affectionate in public than most American men, and have been my entire life. And, I hug anyone who is open to it, whether male or female. In my travels to Europe, I found affection from men displayed a bit more than here, depending on where I was at the time. The Lower Mainland area of B.C., Canada, where I also spent considerable time, I noted that the public display of affection by men was similar to the American men, or maybe slightly better.

Hugs, (see?)
    Ann

I have often noticed that there appears to be less affection shown by American men than shown by most European men.
    There seems to be a sort of macho thing going on in the U.S. It even seems to show up here sometimes.
    So a CD girl from the U.S. is less likely to hug than a European CD girl?

I blame John Wayne myself. “A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do” and all that.

Give us a hug,

A British Suzy

I am definitely more affectionate among CDers than when I am in boy world. A warm hug beats a firm handshake any day!

I have always been affectionate with my wife and CDing certainly hasn't changed that.

Suzy, you are correct, though I won't blame John Wayne exclusively. The popularity of the cowboy image and the drab presentation of the western movies definitely contributed to the behavioral expectation of males.

the exception was the singing cowboys who had some amazing clothes. For some reason these clothes were pretty much taboo for males unless you happened to be strumming a guitar on screen. The rest of us were limited to black, blue, beige, and brown.
    Last edited by Eryn; 12-16-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Added a thought.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I know in my case that I'm more touchy reely than most males, when I'm enfemme I'm more so. But to make a general statement than CD's are more affectionate than non CD's I can't say one way or another. I attempt to judge people as individuals, not as group, though we all do that at times.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    I think the whole point is that we have a feminine part of us and it is bound to display itself. Given that, I'm sure that as a group those who are transgendered will be openly more affectionate that the average male, whether we are presenting as our feminine selves or not.

Just makes sense.

I don't know if I'm more affectionate or not, like you I have never met a CD in person. I am hoping to get that opportunity soon, I wouldn't know whether to shake their hand or give them a hug. I'm sure it will depend if I'm dressed in male or fem. Male it will probably be the hand shake; fem, a hug may be in order. I'm like Jekl and Hyde, completely 2 different people if I dress male I'm 100% male, when I dress fem I try to be as feminine as I can. I smoke, I will hold my cigarette completely different, I walk completely different, I hold my hands differently, just about everything I do is completely different. I think I was on this site one time dressed as a male and it just didn't feel right. As far as the affection, since I haven't ever been out with anyone dressed in fem, I can't answer that question. I do know, we have a better understanding of what a woman has to go through to get ready to go out.

I'm not sure you can generally assume that. If we are in touch with our feelings, we are usually more outgoing, empathetic and extending of ourselves to others but everyone is different in that respect and there are no absolutes with this.
    Last edited by Kate Simmons; 12-16-2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Count me in the affectionate crowd! But I tend to behave as appropriate to the situation. Around more 'macho' guys I play the game, but I do get really hurt by silly macho behaviour. It is so unnecessary! And utterly stupid. My good friends all have an affectionate side (though it expresses itself differently with each individual).
    Kaz xx

__________________________________________________ ____________

This Woman Within is Flying without Wings

I think it depends how far down the Transgender Spectrum you fall. I'd say I'm more or less right in the middle, and I'm definitely more affectionate than the average man, but still not as affectionate as the average woman. Then again it probably has as much to do with how you're raised and what your family is like, if not more so, than being a crossdresser
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

I am always an affectionate person and giving and receiving hugs is part of that. It really just depends on the person and probably their family culture of touch and hug or not. I am not embarrassed nor afraid to give a man a hug, though I do think about the situation before offering a man one.

Regarding MTF CD's being more affectionate, I think some CD's assume it is a typical feminine trait and therefore emulate it. It is not so much that they are more affectionate, but rather doing what they think a typical woman would do. I actually like that because I love giving hugs.

I agree that it probably has more to do with family culture, local culture, and individual personality, than CDing per se. WHile I enjoy physical contact with people I am intimate with I don't feel the same way towards most other people. I am more comfortable with close contact with GGs than with males, but even then I'm still an awkward and shy intorvert. I do feel like I'm in touch with my feelings and am generally sensitive, crying easily at movies, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    Count me in the affectionate crowd! But I tend to behave as appropriate to the situation.
    That's me too! I'm not overly affectionate most if the time as a guy, but I'm all about being situationally appropriate.

I have always been the one that will touch & Hug an say things I like I love you an be more likely to sit closer an it makes people look at you funny at first because guys for the most part are stand off kinda towards there woman like cavemen where I am from ,,I always touch my wife an never had a problem showing love an tell her in front of her Family ,, As a matter of fact I do it more around them because they don't show it at all . One of the Craziest things I have ever seen . My family was kinda normal about it ,,But you know me ,,I am the different one an I like to set the stage the way I like it ,,,My kids are like me they are touchy like me .
    Yull Find Out !!! lol,,,,

I am generally a nice guy in male mode, I prefer a nice firm handshake, and can be quite, "manly". When I am en femme though, I am much more soft, and affectionate. Aside from the snuggling, and hugging, my S/O says I am more mellow, and calm when I am dressed. She says when I am in purge mode, or in drab, I can be a bitch, lol. She prefers my attitude when I am femme as opposed to drab. She feels that in drab I feel out of place, or "wrong" and when dressed or girly, I feel more natural, and comfortable. I wonder if anyone else's psyche plays with them like this?

xoxox

MUAH!!!

Sarah-Ann
    "The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself" - Anna Quindlen

http://sarahanntg.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by suzy1 View Post
    I have often noticed that there appears to be less affection shown by American men than shown by most European men.
    Now that I don't agree with.... and I don't agree that just because you're a CD you're more affectionate... infact, a lot (not all) are bitchy and catty!
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

Most Cds that I know are OK with a hug. Non-cds - not so much.
    Hugs, Carole

I'm not a real huggy/feely kind of guy, except with my kids and grandkids. I can unabashedly hug my son in public as well as my daughter and their kids. If I don't know you, don't invade my space. However, after my wife passed, I received as many hugs from guys as I did from ladies. Circustances dictate the actions, evidently.

Silver Member
    I don't know about public displays of affection, but I think in general TVs tend to be more sensual, in the common and most literal senses of the term.

As for showing affection in front of others, I am not a touchy-feely person with strangers, but I don't hesitate with people I am very close to and am very fond of.
    Last edited by Vickie_CDTV; 12-17-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Hi.

Sorry to detrack the train I have found many transpeople & dresser's to be so far away in thier mind that i would not even offer a hug, Iv been put down to the point of why did i really bother being there or meeting up with them. its rather sad yet thats what i found, for those who dressed & showing more affection, rather the other way. or some acted as a show, or put on.

Now that does not say i dont have some nice loveing friends both trans & dresser's. just i find they are not as willing to hug me.

yet my friends who are women will with out a moment thinking about it for us its lovely & a part of our greeting.

now my men friends, will hug me ether in greeting or parting....& no not to be well thats over, these men are quite lovely in thier own way, & as it was i was very surprised they even did hug me..... so there is a difference.

Im sadened that with in the trans community its so indifferent to women , that may appear hard. yet thats what iv seen,

The idear is good , just because one wears a skirt does not make a male a woman & many males dont respect thier familys or wifes, Maybe iv seen to much to know other wise, & when you work with women who'v been abused it paints a different picture .

Remember im seeing this as a woman in our county & over the ditch in Austraila, & over 17 years, i cant comment for others, & nore would i .

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 12-17-2012 at 02:56 AM.

I think that non-CDs are just as affectionate towards the GGs they feel close to, as are CDers. But, CDers are definitely more affectionate towards other CDers than men are towards other men. There are lots of hello and goodbye hugs at my SO's TG support group. I think this is because CDers want to break down the gender barriers through their mode of presentation and breaking down behavioral gender barriers enhances the experience even more.

A quick anecdote: yesterday outside the grocery store there was a well dressed, attractive man holding up a sign that said "free hugs". At first I though it was a creative way to get women to hug him (), but then realized that he was hugging everyone. After our hug I asked why he was doing this and he said that he felt that the world needed hugs in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook incident.
    Reine

I really enjoy the company of women more than men...I think I always have..and I love to touch and be touched...by women..I, as like some others, have never known other crossdressers (although I'm sure I've met a few),and therefore don't know how I'd relate to them. I find the thought rather scary...although I have fanatized about having sex with a CD...It seems I jumped right over the kissy/huggy/feely part. Hehe...smooches Jackie
    Jackie

Aspiring Member
    I believe how affectionate or warm a person can be is down to the individual, I don't think crossdressing or sexuality really come into it. One of my best friends is tough as nails, built like a tank, but is also one of the most sensitive guys I know. He's the first to hug his friends on an occasion & when he went through a divorce, I went to see him & watched the guy literally break his heart in front of me. I cried with him.
    Some crossdressers I believe, will be the loveliest sweetest people you could meet but like in all walks of life, I'm sure there'll be others as cold as ice.