Thread: Developing an exhibition

Developing an exhibition

I've always been interested in gendered spaces. Bathrooms especially are interesting because of the publicly sanctioned "separate but equal" philosophy (at least in the US). The aesthetic of bathrooms is especially interesting because much of the aesthetic is centered around hygiene (rightfully so), much like kitchens- another traditionally gendered space.

So, what i am doing is developing a proposal to use a series of art museum restrooms as an exhibition space exploring sex and gender. It's early in its conceptualization so i thought i would look for guidance from the community that i feel has the most interesting perspective on the subject.

I'm looking for anything ranging from artists to exhibition strategies (i.e. provocative strategies for displaying work) to merely musings and insights into gendered spaces.

Pictured here: crocheted (gendered) port-o-pots
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by May(be); 12-20-2012 at 10:19 AM.

My in-laws were both artists, and usually had some very nice watercolor nudes hanging in the bathrooms. In the home of an old friend, the downstairs guest restroom had one of those amusing (for me, anyway) paintings of anthropomorphic dogs and cats peeing on a wall. Of course in a home, these are non gender specific spaces, but I would think that some classic nudes would be welcome in a male restroom. I think it might be interesting to see architectural renderings of such spaces. Roman baths and the like. For fun, perhaps the renderings could be mated with modern advertising illustrations of restroom equipment, including some that is gender specific.

Of course, there are gendered spaces to be explored, and there is gendered art that can be displayed in gendered spaces. I am thinking not just of art of the genders, but of art presumably created, at least somewhat, for the genders. Great battle scenes, for example, I would think have less attraction to females than males. Mother and child are more interesting to females.

And yes, I know I am generalizing on stereotypes.

Liz

I think it sounds like an interesting exhibition

If you want a gender space look no further than a walk in wardrobe. Tells a story in it's own right. You could have a room that feels a bit like walking into that Narnia wardrobe, with perhaps a nice Skeleton at the end

Include the three genders, male, female and convertible and highlight the contrasts between each one.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Oh yes I like that bathroom for three genders. A male...dirty and smelly...a female...all nice and frilly....and the third hidden away inside of a closet.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    But this gender space is not just a functional space and is not static. Men don't "powder their noses". In fact, many men get the job done and haul out of there without stopping for anything!

On the other hand, the resort lavatory can have an attendant and many amenities for either gender. Thus we are talking about more positive fragrances that are gender specific for the most part, and performance involving makeup, etc!

The function of the room (outside of the obvious bodily functions) offer a wide spectrum of possibilities as I see it.

Banned Read only
    Change the signs and see what happens when the sexes exit. It won't be long until the men's room becomes a power room (a nice smell), and it won't be long until the ladies room becomes a war zone (another smell).

I'm an architect and I have a collection of images of building interiors. This is interesting. Steph.
    Last edited by stephNE; 12-20-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: rewording
    Stephanie

That's a brilliant concept! Here's a thought: I once walked into a curtain shop looking for something plain for a bathroom; everything on display was lacey, frilly, pastely... over-the-top femme... and I fled. So: make a girls' bathroom to look like that. Think, humor and parody.

Platinum Member
    It occurs to me that the locker room could be similarly manipulated to juxtapose conflicting or complementary gender images.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by May(be) View Post
    I'm looking for anything ranging from artists to exhibition strategies (i.e. provocative strategies for displaying work) to merely musings and insights into gendered spaces.
    One of my favorite concepts on the subject is the album cover from Foreigner "Head Games".
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Truthfully... it won't be until I'm actually in the act of relieving myself before I notice any type of artwork anywhere in the restroom.

Thanks everyone or your insights! I'm fairly excited about this concept and am pleased to hear so many great ideas from you all. I've been holding my cards close to my chest up till now to protect my intellectual property, but I'm considering starting a thread in a members-only section to discuss the various details of the plan once it is developed to that level. I'll be sure to let everyone who has expressed interest in this project know once that thread is developed.

Thanks again, everyone!
    Last edited by May(be); 12-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Love your concept!

Yet another suggestion though. There are some very unique public restrooms in places like the men's room at the Madonna Inn in San Louis Obisbo, Ca or the interesting ones at the House On The Rock near Spring Green, Wi. Maybe apply for a grant that includes some travel budget?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Why limit yourself to museum restrooms?

If restrooms can be beautiful then the restroom in my dermatologist's office gets my vote. His clientele is mostly women and the room is the most feminine space I have seen with out being frilly.

On the other hand, for a very utilitarian restroom space, my urologist with his mostly male patients is really, really high on the list utility only. Ugh!
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.