Thread: A possible answer to the the deeper question.

A possible answer to the the deeper question.

Ok, so I'm a new member (first post) but a long time lurker. Not a troll, not an imposter, just another person with like interests. I'm also a person of few words.however due to extra curricular activities and interests I thought this may be of use and interest to the membership here. It may very well explain "why" we fee as we do.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1211083212.htm

Discuss.

I think being transgendered is different from being homosexual. Then again why do some people like girls and some like boys and some like both? Well why do some people like asparagus and some don't? I wonder if that is genetic? It seems that they and we, are always trying to find out why we are like we are. I don't think they will ever find out because it may be different for each person.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

I read this article several days ago and had a similar thought. It seems plausible that
    this explanation could support the entire Transgender Spectrum, from occasional
    cross dressers, to transsexuals. Will be interesting to see if this holds up on further
    investigation.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Notice this part of the article:

Different epi-marks protect different sex-specific traits from being masculinized or feminized -- some affect the genitals, others sexual identity, and yet others affect sexual partner preference.
    Thus they are suggesting that gender identity is one of the traits that can be carried through epi-genetics. And the earlier parts of the article speak specifically about masculinization and feminization.

Being a walking, talking 1% representative of the brain injured community my SO has made it her hobby to find out how I work. (I'm the injured). She knows and supports all of my endeavours 100%. When she pointed me to that article I was almost dumbfounded since if you disregard the subject matter of homosexuality the rest would make sense.

In all reality I'm good with who I am and what I do (crossdressing) I just thought it would or could be beneficial to those here who still question "why". Thats the best reasoning I've come across.

Banned Read only
    I, too, read this article with great interest in the last several days. Science has been looking for a genetic marker to justify homosexuality and gender dysphoria for years. I don't think it's going to happen because I don't believe either is genetically based. Now I'm sure one of the experts who regularly read these posts will come on here and give us all a lesson we don't need. This is all about habit, not plumbing, not environment, and certainly not genetics. Men are men and women are women. When we mixed it up, and we do, we're just mixed up; we're not sick, we don't need fixing and we certainly don't need someone who cannot ever understand what we go through giving us advice from their "perspective."

Crossdressers, transgenders, transexuals, call us/them whatever you choose, will NEVER be completely understood by anyone who has not walked in our heels (FTM's, no disrespect to you); my two cents is that all the commentary directed toward us is just so much nose where it doesn't belong.

The deeper question, as you call it, is one we will wrestle with as long as we live--unless we walk away and I don't think that is going to happen for most of us. I just wish all the well-meaning and self appointed experts would leave us alone to enjoy our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey_39 View Post
    Being a walking, talking 1% representative of the brain injured community my SO has made it her hobby to find out how I work. (I'm the injured). .
    I don't consider this an affliction like you apparently do....
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by LaraPeterson View Post
    ... I just wish all the well-meaning and self appointed experts would leave us alone to enjoy our lives.
    I agree Lara. Looking at that page, the clinical language, the "analysis," the implicit basis of a binary, homo- or hetero- categorization... I don't know... it just feels wrong (but feelings don't enter in to that work, do they?). In my experience humans are the sum total of all that has gone before them, mental and physical. And, we're changing into someone "new" every moment. I was an innocent pre-pubescent boy when I discovered that mommy's clothes felt nice. I then completely forgot about it as I passed through the storms of puberty and high school romances. More experiences added to my own personal tapestry, changing me, leaving the young boy behind. Many hetero, some homo, and many varying shades of the two. Then we emerge at some theoretical point in our lives as a homogeneous collection of heterosexual "men?" Binary, single orientation, once and for all hetero- "men?" Baloney.

The evidence I've gathered by personal experience over many years of dealing with hundreds of men and women, and learning and living personal life stories and adventures with dozens of them, has provided what is irrefutable evidence for me that we all reside on a continuum of sexuality. A dynamic, fluid continuum with inherent, time-varying proportions of sexuality, "epi-markers" not withstanding.

The foregoing is only in my humble opinion; I hope it provokes additional informed debate. Thank you, Elfin
    ​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent
    Eleanor Roosevelt

​​​ღϠ₡ღ✻ Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡Ϡ₡✻ ღϠ₡ღ✻

Gobbledygook, hogwash...if I'm broken, please don't fix me. What will they do when they "fix" all the gays, transsexual, cross-dressers? Which minority group will be next...poor people...is there a recessive gene that makes you more likely to be poor or homeless? "Here poor person, take these pills or come in for "therapy" and you can become successful and rich like "us". Why is popularity or the majority so important? I think for myself, pay my bills, pay my taxes, go to work, try not to run red lights that have cameras, help support my parents and child...please just let me love who I want and wear what I'm comfortable in, and if we choose to commit to each other in a ceremony, so be it.

Karren I'm a wee bit disappointed in that statement from you. 1: You are obviously aware of the consequences of a brain injury. 2: Mine is not an affliction, I was involved an a motorcycle accident that the medical community agrees I should not have survived. We only know each other by our posts. I've read yours and was looking forward to your thoughtful insights. You read two of mine and want to comment about my injuries.

You don't know me, I don't know you. So much for a meaningful conversation on a topic that affects us all.

Mickey, I jumped to the same conclusion as Karren when I read your post #5 above. We were a bit short of information about the exact nature of your injury and it did seem that you were referring to transgenderism as the "injury." Thank you for clarifying what you meant!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I find it interesting. I have no problem with scientists doing research about human sexuality and gender issues. Not to 'fix' us, but to understand more about who we are. It puts to rest the idea of being trans/gay/bi/pick-a-label being a choice rather than something we are. If we find that its in the genes to be transgendered, then it's like being short, or white, or have a high IQ, it's just part of who you are, the genetic roll of the dice. This information and study are so preliminary, it really means nothing. It's simply hints of what might be. People writing articles will draw firm conclusions, but the scientists actually doing the study won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Mickey, I jumped to the same conclusion as Karren when I read your post #5 above. We were a bit short of information about the exact nature of your injury and it did seem that you were referring to transgenderism as the "injury." Thank you for clarifying what you meant!
    I also jumped to the same conclusion. Maybe Mickey should have introduced herself and given a little more background about herself.
    Danielle

It really looks like a publish or perish article that has so much double speak that you can read whatever you want into it. Seeing that we are years away from ever mapping a human genome and then tampering with it to find out what it does (and that theory that 90% or so of the genome doesn't do anything we can see), this article can appeal to those who think there MUST be a reason and we Must find that reason. One question (because this is where this type of research will end up) if this was true and they found that the epigenic switches really do control your desire for certain sex, or food, or what you wear. are you going to take the treatment? Because that is the bottom line. They are not doing this because they like tinker toys, they are doing it to develop treatments and drugs. NO money in just finding things.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Im fascinated by this article and will look further into it. I'm convinced that for my family it is genetic. Both my late father crossdressed and my son crossdresses.

The capability for a lot is in genetic programming. How we address it and develop it is up to us it seems and it has a lot to do with choice. Rather than become a "victim" of our programming, however, the real skill is being able to utilize it to make it work for us. It "works" for me my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I don't know, it seems that sometimes they are looking for a reason why we are this way so they can cure us.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

People write all sorts of scientific and analytical papers and I think this is just another one till I see more articles in the same vein and view.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree with much of what has been said, especially about Not needing a cure.
    However, as an engineer, I have an inherent desire to know why things are the
    way they are. I would love to have an explanation for everything, whether it is
    genetic, social, or whatever. Not so that it can be cured, just for the sake of
    understanding. Maybe I'm just naive.

Wow ,why this makes me feel like some kind of rat or test tube subject...I'd like to think that individuals are as different a grains of sand or snowflakes and can't be catergorized by even genetics,it seems we have yet another study that leaves human character,disposition and influence out of the equation.I for one can't be analyzed by any study or the drop of a hat,I just feel we are to different and varied to be tagged in any way.