Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have I bought too many clothes??

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Yes! And, that was just TODAY!

I've been doing that for 15 years!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    Yes there is room to grow. My wife and I relized how much clothing we have. Way to much. Easy solution! Donate what we don't like and shop some more!!!

It depends oh what you can aford. Don't spend more than the budget allows.

When I have the opportunity to dress regularly I spend less money. It seems when the urge gets bottled up, shopping online always increases, even when I don't need anything. I have a pair of Madden Girl boots coming in the mail right now and I already have 7 pairs of boots.

OK, compared to everyone's lists I am starting to think my hubby is a hoarder. He has literally hundreds and hundreds articles of en femme clothing, plus dozens of shoes, wigs, make up, etc. Rader, our house sounds like yours, LOL.
    Define "normal"

Camille, I probably have three times that much. My limit is a 28" hard shell rolling suitcase with a lock. (stuffed full)

If I want anything new, it has to fit! Otherwise, something older goes to Goodwill.

Banned Read only
    Before logining on today I donned a newly acquired Nerona black and white floral print dress and a new white lacy slip. You may be letting out pent up shopping. Actually, for five months I do not think you have acquired too many garments, especially from starting at zero. I'm up to ninety dresses which is probably too many. On line shopping, especially eBay, is alluring. When you can find gently used garments for a fraction of the regular retail price-buy!

As long as the household budget can afford the expense, and, it is OK with your wife I see nothing wrong with buying a nice wardrobe.

I ask myself this all the time, Do I have too much? Being a closet dresser for the most part, out to my SO but not to the world, and hardly ever leave the house dressed, do I really need all of this stuff? If I look at it rationally, probably not, but then again I am far from rational lol

It always starts as a small collection and just tends to grow. Since coming out to my SO, Her being accepting and supportive, when we shop now, I may buy her 3-4 things for herself and can never help but get something for myself at the same time. My collection as it stands....

*4 Dresses - LBD, 2 Sweater, one summer
    *8 Tops/blouses
    *6 Skirts
    *2 Bras
    *10 panties
    *30+ Pairs of Pantyhose (1 thigh high)
    *12 Pairs of heels (2 are salvation army bound)
    *1 Pair of Boots
    *4 wigs (2 are nice, 2 are costume garbage)
    Way too much makeup to list

The only things I think I still need are a better wig, one that more natural to my hair color and a pair of breast forms.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

I started with a small box of clothes now I have a walk in closet filled, I get no thrill buying online, but going to Macy's or Carson's with my wife is awesome.

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    "Have I bought too many clothes??"

No such thing, girl! LOL
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

I shop when i'm happy.I shop when i'm sad.I shop when I'm mad.I shop when..ever pretty much.Although i tend to personally acquire more when i'm feeling a little low as a kinda pick me up,But as long as it#s casuing no other problems and you have room within the household budget.Then i say go for it!Treat yourself cuz you're worth it!

That's NOT ENOUGH you need MOAR!!MOAR!!MOAR!!!!!!!

Hmmm... I have a bedroom full of clothes and spent over $300 on more clothes today. My justification is that I'm replacing the items that I'll take to the next swap meet.

Yeah, right!!!!

Tonya, the SHOE monster! rocketscientist's Avatar
    Too much? ROTFLMAO! There isn't enough space here to list half the stuff I have, including over 300 pairs of shoes, etc,etc.etc. And it's seems to grow exponentially! I have a problem and I know it. My little closet overflowed a long time ago. For me, shopping takes the place of actually dressing somehow. Putting new outfits together is second only to actually wearing them. I shop almost every day. There are several thrift shops where I regularly score killer items at bargain basement prices as well as 6 goodwill stores within 30 miles of where I work. I really need to go thru some of my stuff and pare my "collection"down. Maybe I'll move some here. Hmmm.... keep an eye on the classified section here in the future! Hugs,Tonya
    "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" = Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Camille15 View Post
    This doesn't include all the stuff I bought and then returned. OK, so I obviously didn't know what I was thinking when I thought I'd be happy with just a couple items. The irony of it all is, though, that I don't often get a chance to wear this stuff. Maybe once a month, if I'm lucky. I guess that's partly why I keep buying things.... even if I know I can't dress for awhile, I can still experience the thrill and enjoyment of knowing something is coming in the mail for me, and I'll at least get to quickly try it on for size before anyone gets home. It's the suspense of wondering "how will it look on me?" that keeps me feeling connected to my "hobby", even when I can't partake in it. Plus I feel like there are so many different kinds of looks and styles I want to try, and I'm always seeing new ones.
    No, I don't think you went overboard, yet.

It's kind of the same with me. I just get a big thrill out of trying something new. But, I have a set mohthly budget, so that kind of keeps it in check. Plus, it allows me a lot more shopping opportunities since I try hard to get the most of my money. I kind of go thru phases, and right now I'm in a dress phase, but I still carefully evaluate each potential purchase.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketscientist View Post
    For me, shopping takes the place of actually dressing somehow. Putting new outfits together is second only to actually wearing them.
    I have been thinking the same thing. When I can't dress I find that shopping and thinking about dressing goes up.

No Camille you do not have to much under the circumstances you describe.

If you can afford it and it's not taking a negative toll on your life, I say go for it.

I went overboard a couple times with online shopping and regretted it because I spent waaaay too much money.

i cant say anything i have a lot of clothes that are hidden away and i cant buy anymore because i have no more space..

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    My wife is making me get rid of some stuff and in the small pile of clothes I listed on Craigslist the other day, I counted 89 shirts, pants and dresses. Based on how small that pile it I am guessing that between dresses, skirts, pants and shirts I must have close to three hundred? Plus an entire dresser and a half of lingerie. So I guess she may be right that I have a little too much, especially since I have more girl clothes than she does...

Well I have one large closet full, and a dresser. I have not made a count of everything, but just make sure you spend what you can afford. Have fun!
    [SIZE="3"]Amy[/SIZE]

Silver Member
    The general rule is that a woman or CD always needs 30% more closet space. I have to admit that I have shopped to the excess. While I can afford it there does reach a point where it is no longer practicle to have more. With more than a 100 bras it would take me over 3 months to wear them all. My downfall is I travel and sometimes I run into situations where I stay longer than expected. I tend to build a new wardrobe especially if I'm just there if they need me and have a lot of free time to shop.

I can't stop buying!! Everytime I see a sale it's like cha-ching!

Yes you have too many clothes. You are also too skinny, too healthy and have too much money!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Depending on a person's size they could go out with pockets full of money and still not be able to get what looks good

Maria

Quote Originally Posted by Maria S View Post
    Depending on a person's size they could go out with pockets full of money and still not be able to get what looks good
    I wonder if you've hit on something. When the shopping becomes excessive (way more than the average GG would have), how much of it has to do with an eternal quest to find the perfect outfits that will transform a CDer into the beautiful woman s/he feels s/he is inside?

Admittedly, some GGs also seek to fill an inner void with clothes and perhaps believe that if they look just right, they will be loved or appreciated more.

Enjoying stylish outfits and wanting to look the best we can is a good thing though, not to be confused with having way more clothes than a person can possibly wear.

But, some people are just collectors. People have extensive coin collections, stamp collections, they collect nostalgic memorabilia, antiques, older toys, etc, without necessarily breaking the bank. These things have a resale value, they're a investment of sorts. Still even if the clothing or shoe collection will not retain it's monetary value, who's to say that a CDer would not appreciate it any less.

... just rambling. There must be a dozen reasons for having huge stashes of clothes, beyond what one can wear. But I must admit, I don't understand why my SO and (some) other CDers seem to love the clothes disproportionately more than (the average) GGs. As much as I read these threads, I honestly don't think I'll ever understand it thoroughly.
    Reine

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    I wonder if you've hit on something. When the shopping becomes excessive (way more than the average GG would have), how much of it has to do with an eternal quest to find the perfect outfits that will transform a CDer into the beautiful woman s/he feels s/he is inside?

Admittedly, some GGs also seek to fill an inner void with clothes and perhaps believe that if they look just right, they will be loved or appreciated more.

Enjoying stylish outfits and wanting to look the best we can is a good thing though, not to be confused with having way more clothes than a person can possibly wear.

But, some people are just collectors. People have extensive coin collections, stamp collections, they collect nostalgic memorabilia, antiques, older toys, etc, without necessarily breaking the bank. These things have a resale value, they're a investment of sorts. Still even if the clothing or shoe collection will not retain it's monetary value, who's to say that a CDer would not appreciate it any less.

... just rambling. There must be a dozen reasons for having huge stashes of clothes, beyond what one can wear. But I must admit, I don't understand why my SO and (some) other CDers seem to love the clothes disproportionately more than (the average) GGs. As much as I read these threads, I honestly don't think I'll ever understand it thoroughly.
    There's a continual quest to find one answer, which shows up a lot on boards like this, but there's really not one, at least from what I've seen. There's OCD, reaction to repression, artistic expression, buying because one can't often wear -- to some degree, though, on average you would expect it to be higher than a standard GG, because people are choosing to cross a line that makes them outside the casual norm. If people didn't feel there was a perjorative aspect to cross-dressing, then more people would do it, and then you'd find that the average would probably be about the same, I would think.