Thread: Nice

Nice

Hi, Everybody!

I walked into town this morning, a few things to do. On my way in I caught a man smiling at me. I couldn't help it. Before I knew it, I was smiling back. I'm not interested in guys, but it was a nice smile, and who would refuse one of those?

In the library one of the librarians was wearing a beautiful green jacket. So I told her it was beautiful and said, "I'm green with envy."

She smiled and said, "I'm too tired to even laugh at that one--but thank you."

And I thought how nice it was to be able to tell a woman you wouldn't mind wearing something she's wearing.

In town I saw the most smashing woman. Absolutely fabulous coat, skirt and boots. Instantly I was furiously envious. Then I told myself, "Hang on! It's true her outfit is nicer than yours, but yours isn't half bad, and it's a fact you're feeling nice about yourself this morning, isn't it?"

Of all the women I've ever envied the one I've envied the most is the smart lady about town--and up until recently there was never anything I could do but look on helplessly. It's nice to be in a position now where I can actually do something about it.

I went into the credit union to lodge a check in my account. Since the check was in my drab name (which I hope soon to be rid of forever), it was quite obvious to the teller that I was one of "those weirdos". But she wasn't bothered in the least. She was very nice to me.

Finally I went into the bargain shop to look for a bottle of shampoo. It was the owner of the place who checked me out. He was one of the people I spoke to a while back when I was coming out to give advance notice to of my imminent changeover, and he was very nice about it then. Since then I hadn't ever dealt with him directly because it was always one of the staff at the till. So it took him a minute to realize who I was.

Again he was very nice. Then he got a bit of a puzzled look on his face and asked me, "What do we call you now?"

I smiled and said, "Annabelle", and as I was leaving he said, "Happy New Year, Annabelle!"

It's nice when people are nice to you.

Best wishes, Annabelle

You are paving the way for the future.
    A good move and in a country like Ireland I am pleased to see friendly acceptance.
    I would have thought there would have been a little bit of bigotry there, although in my travels around the countryside I found everyone laid back open armed and friendly.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi, Beverley! There's a bit of a debate going on here in Ireland: what are the best places for transpeople? You'd think things would be better in the big cities, but in fact, there are people who run into hassles in the larger places. I'm not the only one in a small town who's getting on well.

It's an impossible question to decide, I think. Everybody's circumstances are so different. Some get on well, some have awful trouble, and it's hard to say exactly why. I think it's just a lottery. I got lucky and hit the jackpot.

Maybe some day everybody will be as lucky as I've been. We can only dream about that day.

Annabelle

Times are changing and one day, maybe not in my lifetime, but someday we will be accepted as well as the gay and lesbian community. We are the pioneers.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Sounds like a wonderful place to live - my daughter returned from her honeymoon in ireland with many wonderful memories (perhaps I will get to see it first hand some day)

Platinum Member
    Annabelle, you are living proof that the world, even a small town in Ireland, is far more accepting and welcoming than we often imagine. I remember the doubts you expressed about going out months ago, before you came out so boldly. And now, you've begun your life anew, with the support of so many people. Its truly wonderful!

And I agree. I'd love to pass, hope always to blend in, but experienceing the kindness and warmth of others is the greatest reward for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Annabelle, you are living proof that the world, even a small town in Ireland, is far more accepting and welcoming than we often imagine. I remember the doubts you expressed about going out months ago, before you came out so boldly. And now, you've begun your life anew, with the support of so many people. Its truly wonderful!
    You're right, Kim, and I'm absolutely overwhelmed. I'm coming up on my second "monthiversary" now and I haven't yet had a negative experience. It totally blows me away. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty when I think about the troubles that a lot of transpeople have. My coming-out has undoubtedly been the easiest in history.

I'm wondering: yes, this is a very small town, but surely I'm not the only transperson here. Will someone else see how things are for me in this town and be encouraged to come out? I wouldn't mind having a girl-friend--or better yet, a guy-friend. I've never met a transguy in person, but from the contact I've had with them on a forum, I know they're great guys. I'd love to meet one in person.

Annabelle

Annabelle you have done so well in such a short time! You are a trailblazer of sorts. You are also proof that we can be accepted. Congrats, I'm happy for you.

Annabelle,

It sounds like you ae having a wonderful day! Enjoy!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle Larousse View Post

I'm wondering: yes, this is a very small town, but surely I'm not the only transperson here. Will someone else see how things are for me in this town and be encouraged to come out? I wouldn't mind having a girl-friend--or better yet, a guy-friend. I've never met a transguy in person, but from the contact I've had with them on a forum, I know they're great guys. I'd love to meet one in person.

Annabelle
    Who can say? Its entirely possible that you already know someone, but they haven't yet found the courage to come out. Perhaps they will now that they've had the chance to learn from your example.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleena View Post
    Annabelle you have done so well in such a short time! You are a trailblazer of sorts. You are also proof that we can be accepted. Congrats, I'm happy for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Annabelle,

It sounds like you ae having a wonderful day! Enjoy!

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Thanks, Girls! Yes, I've had a good day. I had a good day out a couple of days ago as well and came home really happy. These have been very happy times for me, there's no doubt of that.

And, Marleena, I don't know about being a "trailblazer". I suppose I am in this little town, but it's not like I've "boldly gone where no T-girl has gone before." I will say, however, that I am happy now in having presented TGism to this little town, something that probably very few people here have ever seen before. It is a great credit to them the way they've responded. They've been fabulous.

I've been humorously speculating that perhaps one reason they like me is that I've given them something to talk about. This is a very sleepy little town where not much ever happens. So maybe I've spiced up life a bit for them. I'd love to be a "fly on the wall" in a lot of kitchens and sitting-rooms in this town, just to find out what's being said about me. But given that most flies don't have very nice wardrobes, I suppose I'll forgo that.

I was thinking also about holding a "TG Pride Parade" some time. But it would be a pretty small parade, wouldn't it?

Best wishes, Annabelle