Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does CD ever get in the way of your other hobbies or interests?

Does CD ever get in the way of your other hobbies or interests?

Tonight I find myself with a few hours to dress. I've actually dressed a fair amount recently, and so don't feel the overwhelming urge to do so. Nor do I have any new outfits I want to try on. So a big part of my brain tells me to just skip dressing tonight, and do something else enjoyable, like watch a movie, or work on another hobby. I'm also kind of tired, and so all the work needed to look good doesn't appeal to me right now.

I know I'd really enjoy a movie, or investing in myself in some other way. But regardless, I still feel the urge to dress and blow off everything else, even if other activities would be good for me in other ways. It's like Camille doesn't want to waste any opportunity to come out and play, and it's hard to resist that urge. Anyone else ever face this?

Camille

Oh yes. Lately I've been presented with a handful of opportunities to dress.

While enjoying some 'me' time alone at home, I could either dress up in my silky, clingy dress, hose, and heels...

...or I could work out, do yardwork, wash my car, clean out the garage, go to the grocery store, etc. Guess which choice wins out 99% of the time? My wife just thinks I'm lazy or a procrastinator. Nope, just enjoying the nice clothes when I can.
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

I got dressed and put on makeup this morning, then watched a movie, cleaned my lizard's tank, hung some pictures. I don't see it as either/or, I try to do it all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Yes, for me it does interfere with my other more normal life, which in many ways has some very important elements that I seem to be blowing away for the present. I like to golf, but have lost some interest there to practice a little more. I like to read, but I spend way too much time on this site. Maybe, and hopefully, I will find a good balance as I mature a bit more into this new role and lifestyle, but, then again, maybe not.

Also, I am out to my SO, so I don't have to hide anything. I understand that if you have to dress away from the people you live with, it would put limits on what you could do. However, I happen to think crossdressing IS avvalid hobby, so I wouldn't worry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

A lady in the making..... Erica Marie's Avatar
    Needless to say my hobbies and family has been getting in the way of my dressing. So my problems are just opposite of you. I am in the middle of a kitchen renovation, I try to get to the gym at least 5 times a week and when Im not doing that stuff then the kids are around. So dressing at my house is few and far between. I envy all you girls who have the time and privacy to enjoy a little personal time.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraInHose View Post
    Oh yes. Lately I've been presented with a handful of opportunities to dress.

While enjoying some 'me' time alone at home, I could either dress up in my silky, clingy dress, hose, and heels...

...or I could work out, do yardwork, wash my car, clean out the garage, go to the grocery store, etc. Guess which choice wins out 99% of the time? My wife just thinks I'm lazy or a procrastinator. Nope, just enjoying the nice clothes when I can.
    hhahah .. story of my life..))

Yeah, early on I made a commitment to not let it interfere, although it does a little.

I'm considering moving overseas again (although a different ocean), but now there's the issue of moving my clothes, and if it's wise to do so where I'm moving, will my living space be large enough and not shared, etc. I used to just own two duffel bags of stuff and some computers. The size of the move itself is one thing, but I'm concerned it will be harder to find time.

However, really, I do most things dressed nowadays -- cook, garbage, clean, work if I'm doing it from home at the time, watch movies, read, etc. I used to avoid cooking and such since I only had a dress or two that I didn't want to get dirty, but now it's like any other clothes I wear. The only thing is, I'm not public about it, so I waste time changing if I go out. Hence, I usually only change in the evening once I'm done nipping in and out of the house.

One's circumstances are a huge factor. Can one dress often, or only rarely? Is it a decent wardrobe, or just a few items that need to last, due to budgetary concerns.

Gold Member
    Not only do you have to take care of chores in life, you have to take care of your own well-being also. I want a certain amount of Sue time. I have a ton of thing on my to-do list (more than I can get done actually). So I give time to both things. If I can get some done while taking care of Sue, then that is a bonus. But it is never healthy in life to let one thing dominate your time over other things. Everything needs its due. That is the balance part of our life that we need to heed or pay the consequences.

It interferes big time in my life. Right now I'm living with other people, so I'm limited to dressing in my room. I have to change clothes just to use the bathroom. So in my time away from work, I'm usually locked up watching TV, surfing the internet, or "playing" the guitar (I'm not very good). Until recently, I had even been neglecting doing things like taking care of finances until the last minute. And I'll put off doing errands around town because I'd rather dress instead.

Dressing even interferes with using the hot tub as I have to make sure there are no bra marks before I decide to use it. And even if there are none, I'll often decide to dress up instead of soaking anyway.

Well, I decided to dress "just for an hour", and then watch a movie. Well, the hour turned into 2 hours. But on the plus side, I took some new pics:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...73#post3065373

I'm still relatively new to full head-to-toe dressing. I suspect over time, as I've done it more, I'll be able to balance all of my needs, dressing and otherwise. That's the hope anyway.

Camille

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    You know what they say: "All work and no play is not enough time spent working: if you have time to think about playing then you aren't working hard enough."

So yes: pretty much by definition, all time I spend preparing to dress, or shopping for My Things, is time that I allowed my dressing to "get in the way" of my other interests. And I don't have a problem with that, as dressing and shopping is all I do apart from work and chores (and occasional reading.) I don't watch TV; I don't play computer games; I don't watch movies; I don't sit and listen to music; I don't wood-work; I don't golf; I don't ski. I work. And every few months I take a half day to myself to shop. So sue.

Once upon a time... Veronica Lacey's Avatar
    Yes, Camille, dressing does interject a bit at times. For certain, when my wife - who knows of my dressing but does not wish to see it - is out for more than a couple of hours I tend to want to put a few things on rather than engage other hobbies or chores that require male mode. Having said that, if I can combine the dressing with every day things then it's pretty good. I have a couple of maids uniforms for when I am doing laundry, cleaning, and dishes and have various attire for tending to financial chores and email (blouses, skirts.)

I agree with April: consider dressing a valid hobby so it simply occupies more of my free time (and cash) than other hobbies do at this time. Or, from another view, shopping for femme attire is a bit of a hobby so I can do the two simultaneously when shopping online. A nice sojourn from the mundane tidings of the every day male world.

Banned Read only
    Not at all for me. It's just that everything else in my life gets in the way of me becoming Tara.

Does CD ever get in the way of your other hobbies or interests?
    Sure it does. Dressing as a guy is like putting on a costume, or a uniform. So once I'm wearing what I feel like are 'normal' clothes (girl clothes), I don't want to take them off. So, often I simply pass up going out, so I can stay being dressed the way I'm comfortable. Dressing, and behaving, like a 'standard issue guy', is like playing a part in a play, it's 'work'. And I don't want to 'work' all the time. So yeah, it' gets in the way.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I wont say it gets in the way, sometimes I just choose to dress over other oprtions. The important stuff always gets done, and I never miss work. I just choose what I want to do in the moment, when opportunites present themselves.
    Stephanie

It used to get in the way of everything. I would steal a few moments here and there or if I had an hour and needed to do something but had the opportunity to dress I would dress instead. That was all while I was hiding from my wife.
    Now that I've come out to her that's no longer the case. Since she is accepting and I can dress whenever I please things get done when they need to and she and I spend so much more time together. There's no more "stealing the moment" and no more "other things" that get put aside.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Quote Originally Posted by mellissawi View Post
    Needless to say my hobbies and family has been getting in the way of my dressing. So my problems are just opposite of you.
    This is very much me all over as well, at least until the end of the holidays
    Bi-Gendered, Goth/Metal Fan, Atheist, Artist and British

well its an addiction for me dressing .with any addiction some things dont get done in a timely manner.I live alone so inside chores are done pretty well as needed,its actually a good thing I preffer lite flowie things as its pretty warm here in phoenix.out side stuff yard work for sure would get done more often if I had more confidance .most of my niegbors have probably cought a glimps at some point,one for sure.its an addiction im happy to have and never plan on changing that.Krissie

It's definitely been a battle for me. I'm in a phase right now, where I'm dressing a lot. That generally means that any activities outside of the home don't happen. Recently, I have missed a few social events so that more time could be spent dressing. I know that is not an ideal situation. As I go into this next year, I want to intensify my dressing. Candidly, I think my feminine appearance has reached it's highest level and I don't want to lose the momentum. A goal for 2013 will be to keep it in balance with my other interests.

Interfere? It sure does. Just try rock climbing in a miniskirt and pantyhose. Or rowing in a ballgown!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Camille i have that every morning when i wake up only its what outfit do i put on Hugs Ronda
    hugs
    Ronda

Banned Read only
    Anything that preoccupies all your time is an obsession and generally,not healthy.

Banned Read only
    I usually get seven hours Monday through Friday to be be femme. I get a lot of in door chores done; baking, laundry, ironing, vacuuming, washing dishes..... On weekends and in the evenings I do outside chores. I would take better care of the backyard, but, I have nosy neighbors in the rental house to the north of me. When my wife use to travel out of town for seven to ten days I got absolutely nothing done outside. It was 24/7 with the exception of going to the grocery store.

Platinum Member
    Since i dress every day, I really can't sit around admiring myself...it's boring and I have too much to do. So, I go about life pretty much the same way as if I were in drab.