Thread: I almost have the nerve to do it. Almost

I almost have the nerve to do it. Almost

Walk into a Lane Bryant without my wife. Find one of the girls there and ask what size they think I am. Then find a dress and ask if I can try it on. Today I feel like I could do it. Tomorrow, who knows?

You should do it. Once you break the ice, you'll wonder why you waited so long.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace

Go for it! ignore the butterflies and nail that dress. As has been said on here many times, they are only interested in making a sale, with the odd exception, some of whom will go out of their way for you.

Good Luck Charlotte
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Go for it! Don't make the mistake I made when I went into a Lane Bryant a long time ago looking for a nightgown for my wife. I was looking for my wife, not me. I had absolutely no experience with Lane Bryant. The sales clerk was very helpful and smiled when she said the store was for larger women, and, not for my 5 foot 2, 130 pound wife. That was before the Internet. Now, if I am going to shop for her or myself, I'll go on line to the store's website and check for the sizes and styles carried. No sense in blowing the stored up courage at the wrong store!

I've heard it said that perhaps 1/3rd of Lane Bryant's customers are men, most through the catalog, but plenty who shop in the stores, so I'm willing to bet that they will be perfectly delighted to help you.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

all ican say is just do it i met 2 of my best friends from lane bryant and we went out to a drag show last week.

you dont know what kind of friends you will find till you put your self out there.

also they are professional your not the first and you wont be the last. (just smile and go for it)
    do what makes you happy.

Do it! there is nothing like have a dressing room started for you especially if they write your girl name outside the door.

I haven't bought anything from LB in a few years now mostly because I can't find skirts or dresses. Also the stores that circle my neck of the woods don't carry foundation garments except for bras. I did find a dress I liked a few days before Christmas but it was for a petite woman. Bue enough of that. If you feel comfortable doing what you have planned then go for it.

I always was and am one of their best customers Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I've never been comfortable with the idea of asking to try on clothes while in drab in a women's-only store but that is my own personal peccadillo and shouldn't apply to others. My cure is to go en femme! Others shop en drab with no problem at all.

I have a feeling that savvy store personnel know that they are more likely to make a sale to a CDer then to a GG. We've already invested the mental energy in just working up the courage to try something on, so we're not as likely to reject the item.

So, go for it! You are very likely to have a pleasant experience and that makes it easier the next time.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I went to TJ Maxx over the holidays, thinking I could browse the ladies section without raising any eyebrows, as I could be Christmas shopping.

After finding about 8 things (blouses and skirts), I placed a pair of jeans on top of my cart and headed for the dressing room. But, when I got there, a sales associate said excuse me, we need to do an item count, and then I will get you a room. Well, now I had done it! Anyway, she counted the items and barely gave me a sideways glance, so I proceeded to try everything on and then kept a few items and gave the associate back the things that did not work for me. After that, my courage had grown, so I found another bunch of clothes to try on and went back to the dressing room for round two. This time, I wondered if loss prevention was getting a kick out of watching me try on the clothes over my panties and sports bra thtough the two way mirror, but I didn't really care at that point. Overall, a very exciting and rewarding afternoon!

My experience in a number of stores is similar to Caitlyn's. just count the items and sometimes point you down one hallway or the other depending on whether I was dressed enfemme or in drab. She also highlights an important pre step if possible, plan ahead and underdress panties work better than boxers with skinny jeans.

Be sure to underdress. You will find that she will probably give you her guess as to your
    size and take you around to pick a few out. They enjoy doing it.

For me, they to making your trip to LB. along with an other greater step into the public, is a great thing, if you are ready. And I think readiness has to do with a couple of things - Having managed enough of your own shame, that on the rare chance if someone reacts negatively, you can remain present and react with grace. One thing that helps with that, is imagine someone having a negative. or even just a curious response, but one that embarrasses you. And imagine how you will respond. Once you face the fear situation in your mind, in will feel less scary in the real world.
    "We are born naked, everything else is drag" - RuPaul

Quote Originally Posted by Christie ann View Post
    Do it! there is nothing like have a dressing room started for you especially if they write your girl name outside the door.
    Cactussteve????
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    You could always figure out your size before you go, you know. Here's my tip: When figuring your dress size, the bust measurement is the most important. If you get that right, you can cope with the other measurements by selecting the right style of dress. For instance, I know that sheath dresses don't work well for me, but A-line styles, especially with an empire waist, do. Oh, and, when measuring your bust, don't forget to include any forms you'll be wearing!

(That reminds me...a Lane Bryant just opened up not long ago in a shopping center near where I live. I need to go there one of these days...especially if I can go as Amy.)

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Platinum Member
    Go for it. The SAs will be more than happy to help.

You do have to be conditioned right on the day.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Love your post!

Go for it. I'm almost jealous, I'm too small for LB..Jaymee

Once you have done it, you will wonder why you ever thought it would be so hard. I never had any trouble at all shopping at Lane Bryant, and everyone there was very helpful and understanding. I later lost weight and couldn't fit in their sizes anymore, then they closed the local store. I still feel responsible for that!

- Diane

Platinum Member
    You've been mulling this over too much. Its time to just take the plunge. Hopefully, you'll get past this and see come to see shopping as an everyday thing Question - have you shopped with your wife at Layne Bryant - for you, I mean.