Thread: Some of us crossdress because we have nothing to TWIRL...

Complex Lolita...

Some of us crossdress because we have nothing to TWIRL...

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique
    I keep wondering what I read that made me finally introduce myself [on this site] and “take the plunge,” so to say. Maybe somebody said (wrote), “WHEEEEEEEEE…”
    [SIZE="2"]Maybe that person was twirling at the time. I can definitely dig it

I was watching The Beatle’s Magical Mystery Tour on TV the other day, specifically the last scene in that glorified home movie – you know, the part where the four “lads” descend a staircase together, and then they gradually join a group of colorful dancing men and women. The men were all dressed like straight boards, in tuxedos, tails, cummerbunds, and the like, while the women all featured flounced skirts over equally flounced petticoats. An overhead shot in the movie showed the men standing still, holding the hands of the women, while the ladies twirled round and round. It suddenly hit me – we boys have nothing to twirl, so we (some of us, that is) crossdress!

Males are not allowed to twirl anything. OK, you may see a fanatic twirling a colorful hankie of some sort at a sporting event, in unison with other inebriates, but that’s different. I’m talking about an article of clothing you can twirl while you’re wearing it. A male/boy/man can’t even twirl a scarf around his naked neck these days without seeming to be something less than masculine, can he? All male clothes are somewhat snug to the body, allegedly for freedom of movement during male-related activities, and nothing is ever floating loose, flying free, or existing purely for the sake of superfluous-ness. I don’t know about you, fellow traveler, fellow gender barrier-crosser, but I would really like to TWIRL something now and then...

This is one of the first things I discovered at the dawn of my crossdressing – if I spin around quickly (flounce), my female garment follows me a second later, usually spreading out (and up) nicely by way of centrifugal force. COOL! I never fail to get a thrill from this, simply because it has no equivalent in the world of drab male clothing. Each and every time I dress I spin, or twirl, and I get endless delight from this innocent pleasure. The hemline rises, the air rushes in, and the sensation created has nothing to do with masculinity! Of course, if you prefer petticoats, or the wonderful world of crinoline (an obvious nod to Gothic Lolita – love it), you can twirl AND rustle to your heart’s content! It doesn’t take much to make me happy, does it? Quick – fetch me my pleated skirt, and make it snappy!

Are you like me? Do you like to twirl your skirt or dress around from time to time?
    [/SIZE]

Miriam
    This is one of the things I love about the longer skirts that I prefer. It's wonderful to feel them wrap around my legs when I turn, or how they drape over my legs when I sit.

Miriam

Banned Read only
    Hi Frederique, (I wish I knew how to put the accents on your name, sorry) as soon as I read your post I was reminded of some guys who DO twirl in their clothes and when they do their "skirts" rise and their white undergarments show [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmzasxarQ80]. You'll get a laugh out of this, I hope.

But more particularly, in our milieu you are absolutely right. I tried to think of something "us guys" wear that twirls or even moves slightly with the wind. I never thought about it but I guess that's why I like pleated skirts, too. I'll never look at a gal in a flowing skirt the same way again. And I'll add a bit more spin to my walk.

Oh I twirl my dresses and skirts all right Freddy but what I mostly twirl en femme are my katanas (don't ask). Now those are something definitely worth twirling.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Frédérique View Post
    Maybe that person was twirling at the time. I can definitely dig it

" Each and every time I dress I spin, or twirl, and I get endless delight from this innocent pleasure."
    You say it all so well but this one line says it best.
    Last edited by Eryn; 01-13-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tag.
    Everyone should feel overwhelmingly sexy now-and-then.

I love clothing and accessories that have some life to them. Skirts, necklaces, earrings, etc. that dance a bit on their own.

I remember reading "A Brief History of Time" where John Wheeler described the observation of black holes as like "...watching women in white dresses dancing with men in black tuxedos within a dimly lit ballroom. You see only the women, but you could predict the existence of their invisible partners because of the women's' spinning and whirling motions...."

I wonder how many of us reading that felt sad because we are "invisible partners."
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

So true about the need to twirl...that's why I used to twirl napkins, straws at the dinner tables. I think it made somewhat conspicuous, come to think about it.

My hair was probably the very first thing I twirled,... or it could have been my mother's hair, not sure. I noticed as I grew my hair back I was constantly twirling it and I find myself doing the same when I am in a certain frame of mind.

Another great little insight and excellent dicussion... love them.
    This is why I stay around here.
    Monica

It doesn't take much twirling before I am dizzy and falling down.
    But I must admit the the flowing of a dress or a skirt is alot more fun then my guy pants any day.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

My hubby doesn't like the floaty swirling twirly dresses or skirts, he much prefers the "bum hugger" ones as he calls them, though he does like the floaty style tops.

Aspiring Member

maybe Dolce and Gabbana have something in mind

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013...abbana.html?hp
    A little trouble getting the picture right and there are several more with the article
    Attached Images Attached Images
    JUST a crossdresser

The very first time I put on a dress, I couldn't wait to spin around - twirling in one direction and then the other. I had dreamt about it for so long and, until that moment, could only imagine what it would feel like. It didn't disappoint.

Wendy

Hi Frederique, we seem to be in tune on a lot of your posts, especially this one. My most favourite thing to do when dressed is twirl. Don't you also love walking down steps in a floaty skirt or dress? I love how it rises and falls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

girly girl
    Great post! Many aspects of my dressing involve motion - For reasons mentioned, I have always been drawn to long skirts and dresses but there are other things that I like because of the movement- anklets and bracelets (bangles, yay!), drop earrings, long chunky necklaces, and long hair come to mind. I just love the motion. One, it feels great, and two- dangly, flowing, twirly items tend to remind you they are there - for example, I forget I am wearing things like stud earrings, but a set of 3" hoops? Not likely! Another favorite is going outside on a windy day in a long flowing dress- simply divine!!!

I got started wearing skirts &c at contra dances.

There's a subculture of men wearing skirts at contra dances.
    There's also a common practice of men twirling women, and, to a lesser extent, women twirling men and all other combinations, during dances. Not to mention people twirling on their own. So of course I want my skirts, and especially my contra dancing skirts, to be as twirly as possible.

Unfortunately, most of the skirts that fit me (I'm on the large size, even for women's plus sizes) don't twirl worth anything, so I've been making my own and learning by trial and error how to make skirts with high twirliness. I still haven't achieved my goal of having my skirts fly up to the sky whenever I turn, but even so, I've had some great "twirl duels" with the more fun-loving women at my local dances.

On another, more somber note, I've noticed over the years since I started dancing in a skirt that things have very, very gradually gotten duller. Not just fewer men in skirts (though by now, I'm just about the only one at any of my local dances), but the tone of things has gotten drabber -- duller clothes, less sense of spontaneous fun, as if everyone had gone to too many funerals and were gradually forgetting how to be anything but somber. Sometimes I think the whole country (USA) is starting to feel like District 12 (as shown at the beginning of the Hunger Games movie.)

Oh my, yes, the feel of the skirt following slightly behind my own movement is divine. Or the way a skirt sways as I walk (strut?) in a pair of heels.

It's a joy that comes early--just watch little girls in dresses and how they love to move in them. It is always enchanting.

Yes, I do. I admit it. I love to twirl my dress. Guilty as charged!

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

I cross dress so as I have something to twirl.
    Square dancing skirts and full petticoats seem to fit the bill these days
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    I included an "action photo" of a twirl in my new pink dress, because it flows so beautifully!

And, whenever my fiancee has me come out and show her what I'm wearing, I give her a little twirl like a model, just to show everything off.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Great post, Frédérique! Very thought provoking!

Yes, sometimes I do a twirl in front of the mirror just to see how it looks. And, like some others here, I do like dangly earrings that move too.

But the best thing I ever got to twirl is me! I was wearing a straight skirt at the time, so not much skirt twirl, but on New Year's Eve I was with a bunch of women friends of mine at a party and was invited to dance by men I did not know. One of them twirled me! Taken completely by surprise, it was not something I was used to, or even really knew how to do, but it sure was fun! And I must have done it at least somewhat O.K. because he twirled me several times!

Alas, no pictures of me in motion.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).