Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we all CD for the same fundamental reason?

Do we all CD for the same fundamental reason?

We all dress-up as women to different degrees. For some it's just a few undergarments that interest them, or just underdressing. For others dressing head-to-toe with wigs and forms is a must to satisfy the urge. Some of us do it once in a while, and some all the time. Some of us even feel we would prefer to transition fully. For some it's sexual to a degree, and for others not at all. Sufficed to say, MtF CD'ers come in many different shapes and forms (pun intended), with a wide range in desire to dress.

But at the core of it, do you think it's the same root cause that causes us to have that desire, even if to different degrees? That is, do we all CD for the same fundamental reason, like something different in our brains. Whatever the root cause, it is the same in all of us? Like some sort of imaginary fem-volume-knob, which is just set at a different level in each of us? Or are there possibly several different fundamental reasons for men to CD?

My own take, at the moment anyway, is that it's probably the same root cause, and is physiological. I think this because of the surprising similarity in all of our stories of self-discovery, starting from an early age. Something about our brains is partly female. But in some of us that part is more developed, or connected, or "turned up" than in others. Even if turned up all the way, it doesn't make a person's brain totally female, but does make them more likely to want to transition eventually.

Other thoughts? Hope I'm not offending anyone here. Just curious what people think.

Banned Read only
    it is genetic. no different than eye, hair or skin color. Maybe one more milligram of testosterone and we'd be just regular guys...

For me I think it's genetic also. While growing up I identified more with my mom than dad. Have tried to stop many times but my mind keeps bringing me back...If you can't beat em, join em!

I did not start until in my 60's, so genetic reasons do not seem to fit. At first I think it had some strong sexual content, but not now. I simply enjoy the feel of woman's clothing, seeing myself dressed and expressing myself as a female when I can.

No. While there might be ( probably is ) a common root for a lot of CD behavior, there are too many types for there to be just ONE cause.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Silver Member
    Sincere there is no instances of TV/TSism (or homosexuality for that matter) in either side of my family, it seems unlikely it was genetic for me. Brain injury and psychological trauma are more likely in my case.

I should comment that something being different in our brains doesn't necessarily mean genetic, anymore than being gay has to be genetic. It could be something that happened during fetal development, due to some hormonal dance. That may have been due to chance more than anything. So while it's a part of us physiologically, it's not necessarily coded in our DNA.

In my case I beleive that it is genetic. I have had these urges to be a female since I was eight years of age or so. Since then these urges have come & waned, but they never have completely me, and as I get older, but they are nearly 100% in the become a woman mode at this time. I love dressing as woman and my current lifestyle.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm with Alice. Not genetic as I started dressing out of the blue in my 50's. There was and still is a sexual component to my CDing!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    It's an interesting thought. It's not entirely implausible, but there's no way of knowing for certain; we just don't know enough yet. And something like that may not account for all cases.

It makes me want to ask my mother if she had anything odd happening while she was carrying me, or any premonitions that I'd be born a girl, or anything like that. Of course, I'd practically be outing myself to her by doing that...but part of me wants to tell her anyway...

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    I'm with Alice. Not genetic as I started dressing out of the blue in my 50's. There was and still is a sexual component to my CDing!
    Perhaps our genetic time clock goes off at different stages of our lives. Just my opinion.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]I really have no idea why we are what we are, maybe it's genetic, and it could easily have the same root cause. I just don't know, and at this stage in my life, I don't much care. To me it's just an unexplainable phenomenon. I don't even try to explain it, I just enjoy it.[/SIZE]

for me, I have no idea how it all started, along the line of wanting to be female... when I was much younger, I think I've always wanted to see myself as a girl and secretly enjoyed picking up girl's stuff, although I would definitely deny it. I still can remember once I was shopping for jeans, when me and my friend picked out pieces to try out, I unknowingly picked out a ladies jeans. On my way to purchase counter, I was pretty excited, however my friend decided not to buy his pair and I sadly dropped mine in order to accompany him to search for others. Many times I also have dreams of myself being a girl, or dressed as one and becoming one... of

I guess's that's why for me.... ^.^

,y personal belief is that given the male XY chromozone we are half female. Not to mention in the womb we all start "female" but something during incubation most likely chemical flips a switch and says its a boy! But who knows how much or little we get of that or if somehow we were meant to be female and something changed the plan be it something the mother ingested from food cause with all the preservatives and such I've found no research on what some of the more common chemicals in our food can do to ore nadel development.
    All my life I've always enjoyed the company of females far more to that of men and enjoy everything "womanly" from dressing up shopping and watching girly movies. I know my feminine side is way stronger than others and I've come to terms with it long ago, never really hated it since I was fortunate to have been brought up with an open minded mother who had me spend an entire summer with a lesbian couple when I was young while parents were at work and I got all my questions answered and learned nothing is wrong if you feel like its a part of you.

Banned Read only
    The word ALL is NON productive in any conversation involving Humans or Human behavior I feel. However, if you change your Q to "Do most all of us CD for the same fundamental reason"? the answer is amazingly simple at least as far as MtF CDers go.

The evidence for anyone willing to remove their heads from the sand is overwhelming. It's our vision, [MEN'S VISION] plain and simple compliments of good Ol Mother Nature. [Evolution at work] Our vision [as opposed to that of most females] IS what enables us to "get ready" in just 15 or 20 seconds so we can carry out our prime directive to impregnate as many females as possible.The popularity of the picture/video Forum serves as testament to this...

MEN'S VISION is also the simple and correct answer as to WHY do women have so much more variety/choices/colors/styles/textures/ fabrics in clothing than men. Because THEY [women] need all those choices [to hopefully become "more" attractive to "more" men] and us men don't for the most part.

As far as most of the ladies at this Forum... I think there are possibly many contributing factors. Nature, Nurture and genetics among them. But I also believe that feelings of shame/guilt also play a very large part for many based solely on the fact that they are an overriding theme here that the vast majority have felt at some time and possibly still feel.
    Last edited by Wildaboutheels; 01-18-2013 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    it is genetic. no different than eye, hair or skin color. Maybe one more milligram of testosterone and we'd be just regular guys...
    I whole heartedly agree....a slight variation in the mix of the womb, or some A replacing a G or a T or a C on that double helix and who knows.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

We are fulfilling our own personal grid program with this in order to experience feelings and emotions. If we progress to the point where we feel we want to be a woman, it becomes more about doing the things a woman does rather than the clothing so much. Our goal may still be to look nice but for different reasons than previously.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I definitely think it's in my genes. I tried stopping for years to appease my wife, but it never went fully away and has come back with a vengeance.

I found it interesting that so many replied that the cause was genetic. For me I think a significant part of things has to do with the fact that my father was rarely seen as my brother and I grew up due to working all the time. I was much closer to my mother as a result. I think that plays a part. I do think it's extremely likely there's an underlying hormonal difference or something similar. I also find that I tend to be more interested in dressing when I have a very high amount of work-related stress (mainly deadline pressure, not drama) so the dressing is an escape. While dressing I am extremely serene and detached from the other things going on.

There are probably different reasons for me probably genetic, others hereditary and those that started later in life, sexual activity, environmental and other influences I would assume.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I belive my reason for crossdressing is that I don't like the way men'sclothes fit . That said I love to change the way i look at myself , when cding I can change the look of my eyes, face , body structure that I am not supposed to do as a natural male . Society should let us dress like we feel comfortable .

Quote Originally Posted by ArleneRaquel View Post
    In my case I beleive that it is genetic. I have had these urges to be a female since I was eight years of age or so. Since then these urges have come & waned, but they never have completely me, and as I get older, but they are nearly 100% in the become a woman mode at this time. I love dressing as woman and my current lifestyle.
    Arlene I'm with you all the way on genetic. All the time I was growing up always played hung with and spent most of my free time with groups of girls. Liked dressing like and with then, btw having wide hips and curvy(cute) butt didn't hurt things, as time went on I just identified with them. Never felt or showed any attraction to boys, infact when I got old enough got breast implants, the weight, sensation/feeling and jiggle/bounce to complete the real me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl T View Post
    I whole heartedly agree....a slight variation in the mix of the womb, or some A replacing a G or a T or a C on that double helix and who knows.
    You might be on to something. Maybe a AC was replaced with a TG. ....think about it..........

Aspiring Member

brain chemistry

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Taylor View Post
    I found it interesting that so many replied that the cause was genetic. For me I think a significant part of things has to do with the fact that my father was rarely seen as my brother and I grew up due to working all the time. I was much closer to my mother as a result. I think that plays a part. I do think it's extremely likely there's an underlying hormonal difference or something similar. I also find that I tend to be more [SIZE="4"]interested in dressing when I have a very high amount of work-related stress [/SIZE](mainly deadline pressure, not drama) so the dressing is an escape. While dressing I am extremely serene and detached from the other things going on.
    Kris, very likely it is brain chemistry in the same way that some people can't seem to get enough chocolate or alcohol or whatever it is that relieves their stress or cravings. And some people don't seem to have any of those cravings and it would be interesting to know what their stress levels are and how they handle them. For those who started in adolescence, it is very likely hormonal and if there is a cd gene, it would be recessive and and there would other members of the family within a few generations back with this particular interest. Otherwise it couldn't BE genetic.
    JUST a crossdresser

Who knows maybe as research into newly popular field of epigenetics continues to progress a whole pandora's box regarding human physiology could unravel; and it might help shed some light on propensity to CDing amongst males as well.