Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you trying to be a beautiful woman?

Complex Lolita...

Are you trying to be a beautiful woman?

[SIZE="2"]Many, many threads ago I came across a response from someone, a GG, to be precise, and it made me wonder if there is a lack of understanding about what MtF crossdressers are trying to achieve. In short, I got the impression that many people assume we are all trying to be beautiful women, according to some personal model or definition we subscribe to, and this is VERY hard for some people (let’s call them outsiders) to swallow. I’m here to tell you that this perception is flawed – it may be true in some instances, but not all the time, or even part of the time...

Am I trying to be a beautiful woman? NO. I worship beauty, to be sure, but let’s be realistic and try to do something achievable, OK? There’s no doubt that, at some point in our lives, many of us have been “awakened” to the idea of MtF crossdressing by some impression of beauty, usually in the form of a woman, using this incident as a springboard to launch us over the gender barrier. It happened to me. One day I saw a very beautiful woman, and I was awestruck, using the correct definition of “awe” in this instance. Good! I’m OFF, ready or not, on my quest to embrace the beautiful and become a more beautiful person. I can only approximate my original inspiration, but I must keep the memory fresh at all times. Thus, I begin my masterpiece, my M-to-F transformation, knowing full well I will never look as good as HER, but hope springs eternal...

Now may be a good time to discuss what the word “beautiful” means. Here is a modern quote from the Urban Dictionary:
    [/SIZE]

"Anyone can be beautiful. It's not about the clothing, the hair, the make-up. It's about the way your smile radiates warmth, or dancing when you're excited, no matter who's watching. How to be beautiful? There are no guidelines, and anyone who tells you otherwise is telling you how to be pretty. Pretty and beautiful are not synonyms. Pretty is but an adjective, whereas beautiful is so much more."

[SIZE="2"]That’s a good starting point – beautiful is not “pretty.” I’ve met some beautiful women who were not pretty, and I’ve met several pretty women who were not beautiful. At all. Beauty is very impressive and memorable, and it goes far beyond superficial appearance. I think beauty has a lot to do with elegance, grace, and loveliness, while “pretty” denotes something less striking, perhaps pleasing, or attractive, or even nice. You may disagree, but aesthetics come into play when beauty is being discussed – I should know, since art (my profession) is primarily concerned with aesthetics, and the latter happens to be the philosophy of beauty. Beauty is indeed in the eye (and mind) of the beholder, but why would a GG assume that all MtF crossdressers are trying to BE beautiful women? I wish, I suppose, but isn’t this a bit unfair?

It’s not in the cards; in fact the deck is stacked against me quite cruelly. I cannot even approach a reasonable facsimile of a beautiful woman, anymore that I can approach Everest without sherpas and a generous supply of oxygen. Oh, experiencing beauty has got me this far, but I will always fall woefully short of any beautiful presentation. I do the best I can, under some very queer circumstances, but I am both cognizant and accepting of my shortfalls. I suppose some women, or outsiders of any gender, must see our attempts as a ridiculous exercise in futility, but they are only seeing what is on the outside. My ongoing beautification is self-satisfying, and my innate male-ness will not allow me to give up, even though my so-called masterpiece is less than good, or less than thoroughly pleasing. You have to have impossible dreams, you know...

It may sound like sour grapes to a GG, but I’m not at all concerned with looking beautiful. I don’t wish to be attractive to others, nor do I wish to attract someone. I can manage pretty on occasion (I think), but beautiful is beyond the pale. Frankly, I’d rather try for adorable! I don’t try to do more than I can, in fact I take steps (in my cute shoes) to not be noticed. I would rather affect a “plain” presentation, and blend into society as I dream my girly dreams and enjoy my crossdressing. I get an insight into what women must feel when I wear their clothes – they have to look attractive all the time (theoretically), and their clothes can be very revealing and sensual, while male clothes conceal and dull the senses. Of course, some women buy into this obligation to be attractive, while others blaze a trail away from conformity. It’s the same with us MtF crossdressers, except reversed, replacing anti-sensuality with all things sensual and feeling the difference. The clothes are beautiful, even though I am not, but I can feel beautiful by wearing something lovely. That’s as good as it gets, and I want any beautiful feelings I obtain from my crossdressing to stay with me as I transform back into drab. It means a lot, when you’re male by birth, to feel beautiful now and then, but how would I go about explaining that to a REAL woman?

I get the feeling that all women are laughing at us, whether they show it or not, because we are apparently trying to be beautiful. That’s wrong, I think, as well as ignorant. Beauty is something that gives pleasure to the senses, and that is an excellent description of what MtF crossdressing provides. Sure, it would be interesting to be a beautiful woman, or even a temporarily pretty one, but I’d like to be a lot of things – I don’t think I would enjoy being one of the 24/7 beautiful people, always having to look as attractive as possible, standing on a lonely pedestal, fulfilling my “role” according to man’s wishes, and having to deal with vulnerability all the time. No, I am content to “pass” now and then, whenever I feel the time is right, and not push the proverbial envelope too much. I like my “self,” and, from my perspective at least, I’m sitting pretty...

Are you trying to look like a beautiful woman, or are you trying to either be or feel beautiful (or pretty) in some way?

PS – I wish I could trot out the exact quote that launched this piece, but it’s long gone and hard to find...
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Frédérique; 01-23-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: an adjustment...

Makeup addict!
    I'm trying to look beautiful. When I put the makeup and the wig on me, I do it so I can look like I'm a beautiful young woman

"A glass of wine anytime" rachaelsloane's Avatar
    Freddy,
    I really like this post as it gets right to the core of what the majority has a hard time understanding. IMO, it is best to dress nice and just be yourself and have a good time while out and interacting with others. I like most, enjoy getting a compliment and graciously accept it for what it is, but in no way am I trying to be beautiful.
    R

I know that no matter hard how I tried, I could never be beautiful. I'd like to think I look pretty sometimes, or at the very least not stand out and draw unwanted attention. I'm happy the way I am and just want to live my life.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Wonderful post Freddie. I like to think I am dressing to make my inner beauty (well, i think it is beautiful) visible in my presentation. As keeping with the forum, that inner beauty happens to be female. I just want to see what is me, what I think and what I feel. Maybe that goes too far, but I have to be more and more true to myself. Will I ever be beautiful? NOOOO! Will I ever feel beautiful, yes, I have managed to do that on occasion, and that is a beautiful feeling.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

I use to try, and according to my wife, succeeded, but that was not, and is not, the goal of (reason for) my crossdressing. I have always just needed the relief of wearing the clothes.
    DonnaT

Freddy, Another very interesting thread! I have been without a computer for two week, and just read your thread. I love the "beautiful " dresses, underwear, sexy shoes, wigs, hose, beautiful perfume scents, and I do really try to appear as a pretty, and beautiful 50ish lady, but in spite of some very convincing photos, I still fall short in person, and in voice, and size. Sometimes, i fool myself, and get to thinking i look beautiful, and pretty, and passing.

I want to be a girl, sometimes. If I am going to be a girl sometimes, I don't want to look like I am doing laundry. But I also don't want to look like I am going to a ball, or even a fancy dinner.

I just want to look like most women look, when out and about, who care about who they are. If I can fall close to the center of the bell curve in how a woman should look, I'll be extremely happy!!
    When writing the next chapter in your life, start with a pencil and eraser - my first page as Miki is full of eraser marks.

Sometimes I mentally feel like my avatar and would love for a few hours if I could be that person physically.
    I think I feel more like Natalie than I do Kat. I think from this point I will go by Natalie.

Part of a recently ended relationship where a reason why it ended was my crossdressing.

I try to. Beauty is in the minds eye.

not quite silver yet Emma Leigh's Avatar
    I accept I cant be beautiful....I strive for acceptable...ish....and I feel I could look a lot worse at 58 so I am not totally unhappy with my appearance....and bear in mind there are few women that are ever happy with their appearance either
    Last edited by Emma Leigh; 01-23-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Boy, Freddie......I think you nailed it here. I guess I'd say that I enjoy being beautiful, or what would likely be beautiful to behold were I actually female instead. At least I can feel like I'm beautiful within my own feminine fantasy. Like you, the deck is certainly stacked against me from the very get go. Undoubtedly, my attempts to look beautiful have brought me into contact with my own personal femininity, which has unlocked a certain beauty inside of me that might otherwise not be there. For that, I'm grateful. It is a shame, however, that as hard as I might try, I can never attain the physical beauty that I imagine for myself when I'm all decked out to the nines, leaving me with a faint, but very real frustration and sadness. But it all has allowed me to approach the world from a broader viewpoint, one that is both male and female, something that most individuals never even think about, much less attempt to attain. And in its own way, that is a beautiful thing.

Any money found in the laundry is MINE!

"This is no social crisis....this is me having fun!"

www.flickr.com/photos/tgmarla/

Basically I do what makes me feel good about things. Most of the rest of it is in the eye of the beholder my friend.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

there is beauty in everything and in everyone, I just want to be me.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirlDonna View Post
    I know that no matter hard how I tried, I could never be beautiful. I'd like to think I look pretty sometimes ...
    That works for me, too

Trying? Not yet. It's aspirational...the joy is in the journey, not reaching the finish line. I see so many remarkable people here that have achieved a level of satisfaction, of self-knowledge, of effortless grace and inner beauty. They have achieved SHIBUMI.

One day I will get there...but then I know the goal posts will have shifted, as they always do.

Banned Read only
    I am no different than virtually every woman when I "go out." I try to look the best I can. I'm not a "beautiful" guy so it would be unrealistic to think I'd be a beautiful woman but I try harder in girl mode than I do in guy mode. I feel an obligation to project the best reflection of woman that I can. I love women and I do not want to demean them. I do like feeling "pretty" as I can not get that feeling as a guy.

I like to feel pretty, but I strive to blend into the crowd and go un-noticed. At least in my mind be un-noticed... even if I'm not
    ​Cindy

For me, its more like, I'm trying not to be a guy in drag, or ugly... normal feels good enough for me. Although I doubt I'll stop there.

At least for now, I guess I'm looking just to be female when I dress. Maybe also throw in the thrill when dressing subtle women's clothes in male mode.

Frederique, as usual your post is profound and thought-provoking. I am trying to be beautiful, and it is as much an inner process as an outer process. According to my own personal idea of beauty, a person can be absolutely beautiful without conforming to society's standards of attractiveness. It is as much in the eyes, the spirit, and self-expression as it is physical traits, maybe more so. Many of you who are saying you know you aren't beautiful are really quite gorgeous in my eyes. The faces in your pictures and the clothing you wear reflect transcendent beauty.

All of us here have chosen to embrace our feminine sides, which I think for most of us (or at least myself), dominates our masculine side. Femininity is beautiful in itself, and we either have it or we don't. Looks, as we all know, can be modified. Perhaps there are many different reasons for CDing, but for me the purpose is to create a reflection of what I have discovered within.

- Christy
    Peace and love, - Christy

Truth. So eloquently written. I am using this as part of my little cheat sheet when questioned why I do what I do.

"The face is the mirror of the mind, and eyes without speaking confess the secrets of the heart."
    St. Jerome

The outside can also be the perfect expression of the inside brought out into the world to be shared.

Not a look, not to be and not to feel but something that must be expressed if the person is ever to know that they have existed.

I will always think of you this way even though you do not think of yourself this way.

I came to realize something, at a relatively young age 20's maybe. The women I met, either became more or less beautiful the better I got to know them. Their true beauty, through their personality, shone through. As a transgender woman I would hope to be the former, that is be more beautiful the more one got to know me.
    May everyone you love-love you
    Kimberly Ann
    www.flickr.com/photos/kimmie487

A pretty good summing up of what's in it for many of us......
    Girls who are boys, Who like boys to be girls, Who do boys like they're girls, Who do girls like they're boys, Always should be someone you really love

Silver Member
    Actually I'm trying to be a beautiful, sexy crossdresser
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]