Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need to know

Need to know

Today was busy. I was going to spend the majority at a volunteer appreciation luncheon ( and since I had volunteered as a bar tender New Year's eve I decided to go as...ME).

This is the dress I wore. I like it. I thought it was rather middle of the road.

It was just a quick photo when I got home so I could show what the dress looks like

DSC05717.jpg

Earlier in the afternoon someone asked "are you just getting back from church?". that was not a bad comment but I thought the dress was a little more...um sexy than that. Then later in the evening a woman told me "Go show off that skanky dress you got there."

Now I am sure she meant that in a good way. But now I am confused, is this a church dress or a skanky dress? Be honest
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I sure wouldn't say that it's either. It looks like a nice dress for an evening out. It's by no means frumpy and if it's someone's definition of skanky I'm wondering what century they're living in.

-Bree

I don't really see it as either.....I just see it as a casual dress!!! I love the blue belt!

Definitely not skanky. I think it is a nice look, maybe more conservative than you normally talk about. I like it. Does that count?

Church dress. you go gurl.

maybe you could go with church skanky, but it doesn't look churchy or skanky imo. your legs look good, show em off! those other people should take their back handed compliments and shove them right up their...narrowmindedness. so there! you look absolutely fabulous, dahling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]what i am is what i am, are you what you are or what?

Loves ordinary miracles SuzanneBender's Avatar
    Lori is a very nice dress. I think it looks wonderful on you and is a go anywhere style. I am sure that both comments were meant with kind regards. The first one sounds like a true compliment. The second has to be taken in context. Even if they weren't compliments they should have been.
    See yourself as a soul with a body not a body with a soul" Dr. Wayne Dyer

I agee I think it looks fine for any occasion Lorileah without being over the top. It sounds like "girl talk" there. I think (hope) it's a way of them showing acceptance.

Very nice and very sensible.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Mmm, let's see . . . down here in the Bible belt if it stops above the knee, then it ain't no church dress. It's certainly not skanky, either. Looks like an ordinary casual dress. Now, if you turned around and it was missing the seat or had a sheer veil that showed your backside . . . that would be skanky.

Not if you are a member of the Church of Perpetual Indulgence ...

BTW - not so sure that the turquoise/sky blue belt goes all that well with that otherwise attractive dress. Maybe that's where the "skank" comment originated from. Just my .

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    I have to agree with the crowd here Lorikeah, and think the comments were just girl talking and not meant to be mean in any way. It is a perfectly lovely dress and you wear it well. Love the blue belt.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Obviously it's the perfect dress, because it adapts automatically to the environment it's worn in! You should treasure that, and wear it everywhere.

- Diane

Its a very attractive dress. Suitable for business or just lunch. Good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    Not if you are a member of the Church of Perpetual Indulgence ...

BTW - not so sure that the turquoise/sky blue belt goes all that well with that otherwise attractive dress. Maybe that's where the "skank" comment originated from. Just my .

I agree with Leslie on this.........
    Transtronaut

You must first find yourself before you can discover your future-

Not ''skanky'' by a long shot! Perhaps a lil' short for church; but who cares! You look fantastic in it!
    If you don't like the way I'm livin', you just leave this long haired country girl alone:

I have to agree with the majority of the crowd on this.

IMHO; since it's above the knee, not really a Church dress. Since it stops just above the knee and not much much higher, definitely not skank either.

I think that in the case of the first comment, that person was just saying how nice they thought it was.

In the case of the other person, they were just jealous of how well you looked in it and wishing they could pull off the look as well as you.

That's my tuppence.

You look like a woman serving behind the bar conservatively dressed.
    Maybe if you wanted more patrons to hit on you you could wear a lighter color.
    Totally appropriate I think, and when not behind the bar just enough shortness in the dress to look good.
    Women wear a 1001 things out at night but you can really wear only one ensemble.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Nope, not a church dress; "church dresses" make women look like barrels, I'm told. But not "skanky" either. What it is is a very pretty dress that you wear very well.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Earlier in the afternoon someone asked "are you just getting back from church?". that was not a bad comment but I thought the dress was a little more...um sexy than that. Then later in the evening a woman told me "Go show off that skanky dress you got there."

Now I am sure she meant that in a good way. But now I am confused, is this a church dress or a skanky dress? Be honest[/QUOTE]

First off that is a very nice dress on you and I like the blue belt.
    As for the church comment I. Would have taken it as a complement
    People usually wear nice clothes to church. They want to wear their best to church.
    Your dress can be both depending on how you want to wear it.

It's not the dress but the person inside the dress who defines what it looks like!

How did you feel at the time, Lori?

I think it's a wonderful dress, certainly workable for many occasions and looks great on you. I don't know what church the other ladies go to, but I see shorter and more revealing dress at my church every Sunday! And I thought my church was considered rather conservative.

Gigi
    Georgia (Gigi) Maine

Banned Read only
    It's neither. Was the church question from a guy? Was the skanky question from an older woman? I think it is all perspective.

I think its a very nice dress. Not skanky at all or that conservative. Its just that women don't wear dresses often enough, unless they are going to church or somewhere dressy. Pants and jeans seem to be the uniform of the day for most women. For me I'd like it a little longer, to the knee, but you've got the legs for it.
    She was jealous cause you probably looked better than her.

I think it's perfect for a volunteer luncheon. Something i would wear.
    I know enough to know I don't know enough.

Peace