Thread: Ok - so you have a female brain, what does that mean and how do you know?

Ok - so you have a female brain, what does that mean and how do you know?

Just wondering how you define having a 'female brain.' Not disputing how you feel and if you want to be female, you have every right to be. It's just various comments make me wonder how I'm seen as a GG and what the heck makes a female a female anyway? One member thought I'd enjoy taking my CD husband out, helping him with his clothes and makeup - shopping 'just as I would any girl friend" - um I never go shopping with girl friends. I'd find it annoying. I prefer to go by myself. It's lovely, especially without the kids, but I was that way before I had a family, so go figure. And - make up is only for special occasions. And even then, sometimes I don't care, can't find what bag I left it in so can't be bothered. I fix things, I can use a hammer, I shovel snow.... Etc etc. Oh and I hate panty hose and used to HATE dresses.

They actually is a psychological test to determine such things, it's called the cogiati. Just google it and take it for fun if you are interested, I'm a part time cder and I scored 50% male and female on it so I'm right inbtween genders. I am not interested in crossing over to a full time girl so I feel like the test is pretty accurate.
    A Southern Belle of the 21st century.

Flickr link for the interested, http://www.flickr.com/people/ashleemara/

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by AshleeM View Post
    They actually is a psychological test to determine such things, it's called the cogiati. Just google it and take it for fun if you are interested, I'm a part time cder and I scored 50% male and female on it so I'm right inbtween genders. I am not interested in crossing over to a full time girl so I feel like the test is pretty accurate.
    The COGIATI test is bogus.

It's basically trying to determine the gender of people based on stereotypical behaviorisms, that in the real world, mean nothing.
    It's the same as judging people who like pizza with pepperoni & mushrooms vs. people who like pizza with peppers and onions.

Cogiati - Sounds fun, will check it out. Regardless of what it says, I'm staying a GG :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NathalieX66 View Post
    The COGIATI test is bogus.

It's basically trying to determine the gender of people based on stereotypical behaviorisms, that in the real world, mean nothing.
    It's the same as judging people who like pizza with pepperoni & mushrooms vs. people who like pizza with peppers and onions.
    Well like I said it was right on the money for me. Of course not everyone is the same and that's why if you were seeing a real psychiatrist they would not rely on just the test but on personal interviews. It's just food for thought and not meant to be a diagnosis.

And I agree withasmile, I'm pretty happy with my gender. I just enjoy part time dressing.
    A Southern Belle of the 21st century.

Flickr link for the interested, http://www.flickr.com/people/ashleemara/

"To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance." -Oscar Wilde

Ok so googling that brought up a spoof called the DIANATI - which was pretty funny. And there are concerns with the real test the Cogiati. At any rate, I think that it's not simple but you should be who you want to be and be happy. Those that judge can go jump in a lake :-)

Debunking the COGIATI

By all means take it as a lark, but this linked article makes a reasoned argument that it is outdated, unscientific and does more harm than good for those looking for serious gender guidance.

Debunking the COGIATI
    Last edited by Taylor186; 02-04-2013 at 09:13 AM.

I took the COGIATI anyways for fun. Like 75 questions, and after submitting (drumroll please) I scored 125, whih translates into I am a trans-genderist and am both sexes. Androgyne, for life. Hmmm. I think this COGIATI is broken.

Here is the official like results:

The
    COMBINED GENDER IDENTITY AND TRANSSEXUALITY INVENTORY
    (COGIATI)

Your COGIATI result value is: 125 Which means that you fall within the following category:
    COGIATI classification THREE, ANDROGYNE
    What this means is that the Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory has classified your internal gender identity to be essentially androgynous, both male and female at the same time, or possibly neither. In some cultures in history, you would be considered to be a third sex, independent of the polarities of masculine or feminine. Your gender issues are intrinsic to your construction, and you will most likely find your happiness playing with expressing both genders as you feel like it.
    SUGGESTIONS FOR ACTION:
    Your situation is a little tricky in our current society, but not tremendously so, depending on your geographic location.
    The suggestions for your circumstance are not overly complicated.
    If you have any comfortability about your gender expression, some slight degree of counseling might well prove helpful. The primary goal would be to make it possible for you to enjoy your gender expressions free from any shame or embarrassment, and to resolve any remaining questions you might have.
    As an androgynous being, both genders, and both sexes are natural to your expression. Permanent polarization in either direction might bring significant unhappiness. It is not recommended that you go through a complete transsexual transformation. You might find a partial transformation of value, if you find yourself more attracted overall to the feminine. You are more likely a transgenderist, than a transsexual. It is recommended that you recognize that your gender issues are real, but that extreme action regarding them should be viewed with great caution.
    If you have not already, consider joining any of the thousands of groups devoted to gender play of various varieties. There is literally a world of friends to discover who share your interests. There are also publications, vacations, and activities that would expand your gender play.
    Thank you for using the Combined Gender Identity And Transsexuality Inventory.

How do you know you have a female brain? Well, you're a female, for one thing. That usually does it. There are a lot of psychological differences in how men and women behave, communicate and see the world, as well as how we interact with it. A few easy books to give you some clues are written by Allan and Barbara Pease, http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Listen-Wo...=barbara+pease

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Want-Women...=barbara+pease

Will give you a good base to start with, then read the bibliography to get more scientific material.

For an interesting take on dating, I found this to be fascinating:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sex-Signals-Bi...timothy+perper

He describes how males and female interact in western society when developing an intimate connection between themselves.

I've written this subject up before in these forums, so the answers are out there, as they used to say in the x files.

Edit: The problem with cogiati is that it's pretty obvious which answer will give you the results you want; crossdressers who want to see that they have a female brain answer questions with the answers usually chosen by women. Then they deduce that they have female brains, which is what they wanted to be told.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 02-04-2013 at 03:17 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    The problem with cogiati is that it's pretty obvious which answer will give you the results you want;
    Exactly. The Cogiati test was devised by a transsexual who I think wanted to have fun with crossdressers. lol

Her name is Jennifer Reitz and she creates computer games and anime style comics. She also writes game reviews. She has absolutely no training in gender matters, psychology, psychiatry, sexology, etc.

I took it twice. Once when I wanted the results to say that I was a girl and answered the way that girls answer, and once when I wanted the male results so I answered accordingly. It was easy to manipulate.
    Last edited by ReineD; 02-04-2013 at 03:32 AM.
    Reine

Ok, look to answer a few things. The COGATI is not recognized by scientists, so whatever the case, it's not valid to work with. Everyone can have the own opinion on that. For the OP, as a person, who I supposed would fit your description, it's more of a presence than specific interests, likes, dislikes and desires.

As for your CD husband, you have to ask him if he's saying he's transgendered or not. The only people really with female minds are cis women, like yourself and transgender women. I was about to explain the whole thing, but there is a fundamental difference between a fetishistic crossdresser and someone who is transgender and simply expressing that gender in how he/she dresses. And, for some people it's a mix, which makes it really confusing. I can tell more based on what you know about that. Thanks!

Well first of all I agree with you in that it has very little to do with what you can do or like to do, females can do and enjoy doing most things that some people think are male things only and the only things that a female may not get into are heavy lifting things as the female body was not really built for that anything else as far as I am concerned a female can do so it is not about likes/dislikes or what one does but more to do with wanting a female body to match how you feel about yourself and how you feel inside in that you want your outside to match how you feel and want to present yourself so having a female brain is simply that you feel like you are female more than male , the hard part is separating the desire to be female from the knowing that you are female as a desire is for something you do not have yet you rarely know or are aware of what you already have .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Joanne

Hi,

i dont need to define myself , im a female from birth, just my difference is im intersexed thats all. i never wonted to be female or male & i had no say in the matter that was determined at conception, so its not a matter of what i am its a matter of who i am as a person & that counts & my makeup is a part of what i am as a female & a woman.

The ? for some will be did i transtion , say from male to female , well how could i or change from female to male , you see it did not happen im a mix of both , what i wear or how im seen does not come into it at all. im accepted for who i am. & im accepted as a normal woman , my friends know im intersexed , yet that does not bother them or will , how im treated by both male & female is how i should be, plus its not about how i look or not , some thing that many trans people have issues with,

What more can i say, im different im accepted & im a woman.

...noeleena...

I really do not know how I would establish I had a female or even a male brain.
    What points would we need to know to prove that fact.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Personally, I never categorize anyone as being "male" or "female". While the physical plumbing may be obvious, I always think of others as who they are as a person and the tasks they perform and the skills they possess are moot as far as gender and are based on individual achievement in my book anyway. If someone has a brain that has a feminine arrangement, it is due to a mixture of biological processes and social conditioning. In short, for myself, who you are is more important than what you are.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I just have a brain that enjoys thinking in ways that are both stereotypically male and female.

I just enjoy ‘thinking’ I have a female brain. That’s good enough for me.

And when a CD says the female brain is different to the male brain, how do they know? There male!

It's old information now and might have changed but I was taught in a psychology class in college that the only difference between male and female brains is that men tend to be more aggressive on average.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleeM View Post
    That test is a total joke. Not accurate at all.

For just about any parameter you can measure between males and females, you're going to get two overlapping bell curves much like the ones below. I don't care if you're measuring a personality trait like "nurturing" or physical traits like brain structures, upper body strength or height. There is even overlap in chromosomes and primary sexual characteristics like genitalia only we call the overlap intersex. So there is no such thing as an exclusively male or female brain.

WT0701-1.jpg

Here's an interesting chart from Oz that plots the Myers-Briggs personality types by gender. The main difference is that the xxTx types are predominately male and the xxFx types are predominately female. But there is no type that is exclusively male or female. In other words there is no such thing as a female personality type.

MBTI2.jpg

I suppose what people mean when the say they have a "female" brain is their gender identity. Who knows where that comes from but I have grave doubts that it is inborn although that's a popular idea around these parts. If you were raised in total isolation from all other people, you would have no sense of gender, or physical sex, or sexual orientation at all. These only exist in relation to other people. I tend to think it is the result of some sort of imprinting as our brains continue to develop after we're born. But if you are a male who finds yourself consistently in the far right side of the above bell curve then it's easy to conclude that you are more like a female than a male because it's true.

Well said, Stevie, thank you so much for the analysis!!

Here's another way to look at Myers Briggs that correlates to your chart. Men and women are the same in all respects (Extraversion/Introversion, Sensing/iNtuition, Judging/Perception), except Thinking/Feeling where there is a marked difference. This makes sense given that language development is more pronounced among females:

http://www.theanconas.com/MBTI/mfstats.htm

Thinking: Men 56%, women 24%
    Feeling: Men 42%, women 75%

As to the personality double bell curves, I'd also like to add that male and female characteristics do overlap but this doesn't mean that the women and men who are in the overlap zone are transgender, since personality traits are not gender dependent. I'm guessing the overlap would be quite large. Also, transgenders would likely form a small percentage of both the population that doesn't overlap, and the population that does.
    Reine

Problem with Cogiati is you will answer the questions to get the result your looking for. It's the gender version of a Cosmo quiz. If you need some girly recognition, check the girly answers, and Cogiati will declare you a girl. I don't think most of us require an online quiz to determine our own gender.-Celeste

I don't know about "male brain versus female brain" things. All I know is that since I've accepted myself, I'm more relaxed, I chat more, I'm more aware of colors and textures, and I'd like to think that I'm more sensitive to others. This happens no matter what I'm wearing. But maybe I'm a bit more ditsy when I'm wearing the clothes I really want to wear ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club